Options

HD on standard DVDs

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited November 12, 2010 in Video
Is it possible? Whenever I take an HD video file to burn it to a Video-format DVD in a program like Nero or Roxio, the max resolution is only 720x480. It seems like it should be possible as long as the HD video is less than 4.7GB. This might be obvious, I'm a total noob to video. This might belong in Video forum, mod, feel free to move it.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    edited October 17, 2010
    For HD and Full HD resolution I believe that you will need to burn to Blu-Ray media, which also requires a Blu-Ray burner and Blu-Ray player for viewing. HD has up to 6 times the resolution of a standard DVD as well as a much more sophisticated codec, requiring much more processing power than a standard DVD player can process. (It's not just the physical size of the video file.) HD video also requires a compatible screen to either resample or display at full resolution.

Obviously, you also need Blu-Ray compatible burning software and a fast enough computer to manage the throughput and processing required.

Here is Amazon's informational page relating to HD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000142531

Another basic primer:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5082568_highdefinition-tv.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    edited October 17, 2010
    I decided that this thread really belongs in the video discussion forum. Carry on.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy.
  • Options
    rchisumrchisum Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2010
    Sony Vegas will burn a Blu Ray movie to a standard DVD directly from the timeline. You are limited in length due to the size of the disc. It is called an AVCHD disc and isn't supported by all Blu Ray players, but my LG plays them fine.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    Looked at Sony Vegas and that's near the cost of a new blu-ray burner, which is what I was trying to avoid. I'll just bite the bullet and grab a burner.