Options

Chernobyl in 3:39

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited December 15, 2010 in Video
My fourth video project, shot over 4 days in Ukraine:

<object width="640" height="360" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9MTEwMjk4NDg3MSZrPXk4eUY0JmE9MTQ0NDUyMjlfcTJWY0omdT1zY2htb28=" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9MTEwMjk4NDg3MSZrPXk4eUY0JmE9MTQ0NDUyMjlfcTJWY0omdT1zY2htb28=" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

I intended to shoot with the 50mm for the trip, but ended up using mostly the 16-35 and the 70-200. Old habits die hard, I guess. :lol3

This video thing is hard, coming from the other side of the spectrum :scratch I tried the custom picture style that was discussed here a while back and I think it bit me in the arse. Forget about getting "good" color -- I couldn't even get a consistent WB from clip to clip. My original goal was a cold war feel so going b/w actually worked out for the best.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Steph,
    I'm speachless... bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 30, 2010
    Awesome job, Schmoo. Great videography and editing. Perfect soundtrack and great mood. I kinda wish it was a [strike]little[/strike] lot longer.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    Thanks guys and lol3.gif Joel! The first movie I had posted to Dgrin was just about twice as long as this and I got a slap on the wrist that it was way too long!

I dunno if other hobbyists do this but I tend to find the song first and then build the project around it. I'd gotten that track almost a year ago, heard it and knew instantly it would be the right one for that trip.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Thanks guys and lol3.gif Joel! The first movie I had posted to Dgrin was just about twice as long as this and I got a slap on the wrist that it was way too long!

I dunno if other hobbyists do this but I tend to find the song first and then build the project around it. I'd gotten that track almost a year ago, heard it and knew instantly it would be the right one for that trip.

Awesome work, and I couldn't help but imagine what the film would be like with other soundtracks (just being funny in my own mind). Your soundtrack was absolutely perfect for the mood you wanted to create. clap.gif
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Very, very cool. I'm not a huge video guy, but I could have watched much more of this. I'm envious of your trip, and I thought the trip report with stills you posted earlier was amazing as well. This video was very well done, cool soundtrack, overall thumb.gifthumb
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    stupendous. loved it. The singer's voice reminds me of JP's from the band Charon.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I can def. See why the Music would move you and guide you!!

Very nicely done!
    tom wise
  • Options
    glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Fantastic! Very well done.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Awesome work, and I couldn't help but imagine what the film would be like with other soundtracks (just being funny in my own mind). Your soundtrack was absolutely perfect for the mood you wanted to create. clap.gif

Thanks Dan! I totally understand because sometimes I view a video and think "That is not the track I would have used" and other times I couldn't imagine anything else.

So I'm curious what other folks would have done ear.gif
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    I really like the sound track and the footage. Some of it was really amazing.

I would liked to have seen more!

My only real complaint is that I thought 50+ seconds of titles/credits at the beginning was a bit long for me. B

I am wondering if you could tell me the title of the sound track? I am having some trouble finding that song among all the others the band has done. :)

Never mind, I went to the band's site, and it is the first song available for listening! Das Meer is the name, if anyone else is interested.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Very, very nice Schmoo. thumb.gifclap
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    I really like the sound track and the footage. Some of it was really amazing.

I would liked to have seen more!

My only real complaint is that I thought 50+ seconds of titles/credits at the beginning was a bit long for me. B

I am wondering if you could tell me the title of the sound track? I am having some trouble finding that song among all the others the band has done. :)

Never mind, I went to the band's site, and it is the first song available for listening! Das Meer is the name, if anyone else is interested.

Oops, sorry about that. I do have the track and a link to the artist's site in the caption in the source gallery but I didn't put it in the post. Glad you found it! I am a huge fan of Unheilig, and was tickled in Germany when I heard him sandwiched between Pink and Lady Gaga songs on the radio. lol3.gif

I also appreciate the feedback. I had several earlier versions of this movie and one of them had brief fade in/out clips of in the internal reactor scenes (where our guide lights up patches of the dark with his headlamp) instead of the descriptive text. But in the end I kept just the last one, because I felt it was a little overkill.

(but I am also one of those people who gets really twitchy from strobe lights lol3.gif )
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2010
    Wanting more is the best complimentthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Great job Schmoo