Options

.MOV (Canon camera) to .AVI Converter

Super SuzSuper Suz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited July 15, 2010 in Video
Hello Canon People,

First, I cannot find anything on the net to answer my question and I am really good at surfing the net.

Here is the question: If I want to convert my .MOV high def videos from my Canon camera into .AVI or another format that Windows Movie Maker can handle, then what is the proper settings to have on a video converter so that the converter is "dialed in" just right?

In other words, there are many options for video converters. I think I am setting it up all wrong and what happens is the converted avi video turns out to be a blank screen / no video and only the audio plays when I hit the play button in Windows Media Player.

Who has been successful at this? What converter did you use? What was the settings that you had when you successfully converted?

Thanks so much, Canon Peeps.

Comments

• Options
    mussomusso Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    you are in the wrong section i think but i have tried this converter and it works OK. you might want to have a mod move your past to the proper section.

http://www.ojosoft.com/how-to-convert/mov-to-avi-converter.html

thank you
    joe
  • Options
    phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    Super Suz wrote:
    Here is the question: If I want to convert my .MOV high def videos from my Canon camera into .AVI or another format that Windows Movie Maker can handle, then what is the proper settings to have on a video converter so that the converter is "dialed in" just right?

In other words, there are many options for video converters. I think I am setting it up all wrong and what happens is the converted avi video turns out to be a blank screen / no video and only the audio plays when I hit the play button in Windows Media Player.

What program are you currently using to do the conversion? There are so may variables on how to convert movies, and which output flavor to use, so there really isn't one simple answer.

I use Quciktime Pro ($30) for most file conversion, and am quite happy with it. Might I suggest, rather than taking the time and effort (and the subsequent quality hit) to trans code your files from AVCHD to AVI, just get a program like Premiere Elements 8, Sony Vegas or Pinnacle Studio 14 that handles the files without conversion, and offers a much better user experience than Windows Movie Maker?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2010
    I moved this to the 'Finishing School', and removed your other identical thread thumb.gif
  • Options
    Super SuzSuper Suz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2010
    [quote=

I use Quciktime Pro ($30) for most file conversion, and am quite happy with it. Might I suggest, rather than taking the time and effort (and the subsequent quality hit) to trans code your files from AVCHD to AVI, just get a program like Premiere Elements 8, Sony Vegas or Pinnacle Studio 14 that handles the files without conversion, and offers a much better user experience than Windows Movie Maker?[/quote]

That's great advice. Thanks for that.

Suz
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Super Suz wrote: »
    Hello Canon People,

First, I cannot find anything on the net to answer my question and I am really good at surfing the net.

Who has been successful at this? What converter did you use? What was the settings that you had when you successfully converted?

Thanks so much, Canon Peeps.

I have a couple things in mind.... first your system may not have the proper codec for playback:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

SUPER is an excellent free converter with integrated codecs (Posted direct link they bury it in the site):

http://www.erightsoft.org/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

AVI Demux is also a great open source converter/editor but it is unstable sometimes with playback of H.264. However, it has the best selection of compression/conversion options and video filters... it can do a fantastic job of compression without loss of a lot of detail:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

I use the MKII and those are the best free programs I've found so far
  • Options
    kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    I have a 5D Mk II as well. I use Sony Vegas 9.0 for editing, however, if you have multi-minute videos, the Mk II files are too big for Vegas to handle.

I have invested in Cineform Neoscene, which takes any Mk II files that you select and converts them to AVI. I used to use some of the free software, but found Neoscene to be MUCH better and more reliable. It's $100 if you buy the download from videoguys.com.
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    I was able to get Windows Live Movie Maker to recognize and work with my 7D's native video files by simply installing the Basic K-lite codec pack.

I know it's not ideal from a quality standpoint, but it works great for quick and simple videos.
  • Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    I'd stay away from Vegas unless you are converting. I have a pretty much "monster" computer system (i7 overclocked, 6gb memory overclocked, and GeForce video card overclocked) and Vegas 9 crashes if I try to load more than 3 or 4 files that are straight from the 7d. Premiere CS5 works flawlessly with this computer and raw 7d files, and the editing is pretty much "live" meaning the preview window is almost completely smooth even during un-rendered 3-d effects. And the output to 1080p .mpg is just a little faster than real-time (a 9 minute video takes about 8 minutes to render!).
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)