Options

Semi Newb question on Camcorders.

SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited July 9, 2010 in Video
I have been doing Horse show photography now for going on 4 years. Some of my most loyal clients and shows have asked me if I could start providing Video. I of course said 'Sure.. No problem.'

This isn't a problem at all. I have the skills and talent to do this. (And the degree to back it up) I have done video before but I don't have my own cam and I am not starting the research to find a nice (Read-Inexpensive) cam.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would likely need larger memory. (At least 10 hours of video)
Good battery life. (Again I would need at least 10 hours of continuous video)
Ease of use and able to be used quickly. (For set up, Mobility..)
A good autofocus, Zoom and audio pick up.
Ease of transfer onto the computer.

Thanks so much to everyone in advance.
Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited July 8, 2010
    What video size/aspect ratio for acquisition? (SD/DVD, 720P, 1080i, 1080p)
    What frame rate? (23.976, 24, 29.97, 30, 59.94, 60)
    What compressor for acquisition? (DV, HDV, AVCHD)
    What file wrapper? (AVI, MOV)
    Is "rolling shutter" and rapid action going to be an issue?
    Low-light sensitivity?

When you say "At least 10 hours of (recorded) video" and "Good battery life. (Again I would need at least 10 hours of continuous video)", do you mean 10 hours of non-stop video or will there be opportunities for changing out video storage and camcorder batteries?

When you say "a nice (Read-Inexpensive) cam.", do you have an approximate budget?

Do you have a computer and software capable of handling the intended video format? (1080i/1080p requires a very modern and fast computer and large, fast hard drives. Not all software is compatible with all video formats.)

What method of distribution? (Tape, DVD, Dual-layer DVD, Blu-ray, Internet (SmugMug, for instance))

Not all of these are mutually exclusive but they are all issues that need to be examined and addressed.

It would help to give a fairly detailed explanation of venues and situations you wish to record and the conditions of those venues.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    This is what I am here to find out! :)

ziggy53 wrote: »
    What video size/aspect ratio for acquisition? (SD/DVD, 720P, 1080i, 1080p)I am not sure what would be best.. I could use some advice here and on the frame rate
    What frame rate? (23.976, 24, 29.97, 30, 59.94, 60)
    What compressor for acquisition? (DV, HDV, AVCHD)This isn't too much of a factor for me at the moment. I can work with whatever it comes with
    What file wrapper? (AVI, MOV) I am familiar with both.
    Is "rolling shutter" and rapid action going to be an issue?
    Low-light sensitivity? This is a definite must. Alot of my Video will be taken in arena's

When you say "At least 10 hours of (recorded) video" and "Good battery life. (Again I would need at least 10 hours of continuous video)", do you mean 10 hours of non-stop video or will there be opportunities for changing out video storage and camcorder batteries? I would love continuous, but most times I will be able to change the battery during lunch breaks or between rides.

When you say "a nice (Read-Inexpensive) cam.", do you have an approximate budget? Yes and No.. Defiantly not over $300, not right now anyways...I already spend enough on the camera.

Do you have a computer and software capable of handling the intended video format? (1080i/1080p requires a very modern and fast computer and large, fast hard drives. Not all software is compatible with all video formats.)I do.. and I am considering purchasing a Mac for editing.

What method of distribution? (Tape, DVD, Dual-layer DVD, Blu-ray, Internet (SmugMug, for instance)) DVD and Smugmug for preview and or purchase

Not all of these are mutually exclusive but they are all issues that need to be examined and addressed.

It would help to give a fairly detailed explanation of venues and situations you wish to record and the conditions of those venues.

I would be video taping Dressage events, Horse shows and likely sales video's. So it would vary from Dark Arena's to bright sunny conditions.

I'd be taping horses obviously..

Ah Ziggy, my personal answer Guru.. You answer all of my questions.. here so I am just gonna PM them to you.
    Kandie Kingery

• Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    For indoor venues, and with rapid motion too, you need a camcorder with high sensitivity. The best designs for sensitivity use multiple imaging chips and a dichroic filter to separate the wavelengths of light with little loss. This also tends to land you better features regarding video coring and dynamic range control, resulting in better video even in both low-light and bright contrasty light.

Unfortunately, that tends to be the most expensive camcorders. I'm afraid that a $300 budget is awfully meager and probably not enough to meet your needs. You might be able to find an older DV standard definition camcorder for $1000-$1600 or so that meets your basic acquisition requirements, but it would be tape based and limited to 80 minute tapes at the maximum.

You could add an external hard drive based recorder, something from Focus Enhancements perhaps, but they are not cheap. Still that would meet your need for longer recording and also allow easy transfer into the computer. You would require multiple batteries for both the camcorder and external drive.

This would give you reasonably nice looking DVD resolution (720 x 480) video and DV video is relatively easy to edit and process. (You can even hang the external HD that you captured the video on direcly onto your computer to act as a source drive for your editing software.)

You'll need a decent tripod with video fluid head, or mini-fluid head. 10 hours of shooting video is tough enough "with" a tripod and I would not attempt it without a suitable tripod.

I suppose that if you went with a used camcorder that you could build a basic acquisition system for around $3000USD.

HD video sounds cool and looks great when you give it proper lighting, but in either low-light or bright contrasty light the lower end camcorders are pretty sad.

Specifically an older Sony TRV-900 or TRV-950 or a Canon GL1 or a GL2 would probably be appropriate for the video head. A Focus FS-5 (100GB) will hold around 10 hours of video, and the batteries are rated for 3 hours, so if you got 4 batteries you would be in pretty good shape.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy! Good Info and now I know what to look for. :)
    Kandie Kingery

• Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    ... Specifically an older Sony TRV-900 or TRV-950 or a Canon GL1 or a GL2 would probably be appropriate for the video head. A Focus FS-5 (100GB) will hold around 10 hours of video, and the batteries are rated for 3 hours, so if you got 4 batteries you would be in pretty good shape.

After some more searching it looks like the Canon GL1/2 series are more compatible with the Focus FS-5 than the Sony camcorders and the Canon units will properly coordinate automatic starting and stopping of the Focus drive via the camcorder start/stop button.
    ziggy53