Options

Our very first HD video using 7d

PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
edited August 15, 2010 in Video
With the new 7d in 1080p HD, we're starting to do add-ons of "Engagement Videos" and similar... this is the very first one we've done.

A couple notes: We really tried, but got ZERO pre-shooting feedback from the couple. When I shot this I had NO idea what I was working towards (originally I wanted to do a lip-sync type "music video"). So all shooting was done with no idea how the edit would work.

Luckily, they gave GREAT interviews and about halfway thru the shoot I decided to do a ping-pong interview editing style where each would tell the same story in their own words. I hoped they'd contradict each other (for humor) but their stories were pretty close!

I'd love some feedback, but please keep in mind:
- This is the very first time I've edited video EVER, and I taught myself Premiere CS5 and AfterEffects while editing!
- Other than one shot of the sunset, the entire video was shot hand-held (some with my cheap "steadi cam")
-This is completely available light... no reflectors, no extra lighting.
- I did shoot some of the footage with incorrect shutter speed (hence some choppiness)
- The voice audio was recorded directly with the camera, no external microphone or anything.
- Oh, and I forgot to bring my FishEye and my 70-200mm (which are my 2 fave video-lenses!) so I was stuck with a 50mm prime, a 28mm prime and a 17-50mm zoom...

You'll want to open the video in a separate window and select 1080p (or 720p if you want).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8mVGAISLU

FEEDBACK!!!
Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
2 Canon 40d
70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
And a bunch of other stuff ;)

Comments

• Options
    glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    I know nothing about video so I'm afraid I can't give you a whole lot of feedback on the technical stuff. Overall for this being your first edited video, I think it's fairly good and I'm sure the couple will like it. Just from a watching standpoint, I would like to see some stills incorporated into the video. Also I think I would somehow cut the length down to around 5 minutes instead of the 9. Just makes for easier watching unless you know the couple. Just my thoughts since you wanted some feedback.

glenn
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    There's a lot of good in this video, but I have trouble getting past the "bad" in it.

Here's what I think doesn't work:
    • You keep me waiting WAY too long before I see the couple. I keep wondering why we're scanning the forest over and over, and it gets to the point that I expect it to end in a joke, so I have a hard time taking it seriously. Like they're going to jump out in clown outfits or something. Why take so long to get to them? I understand that they love the outdoors, but I can get that in a shot or two up front, then with more shots peppered throughout. But you have 5 titles and 4 shots. More importantly, it takes a full minute to get to the couple.
    • The titles have two problems: design and editorial. Design-wise, keep it simple. The animation is too heavy-handed, the font is wrong (it feels old-timey rather than romantic). The editing of the titles gets in the way of the message: they're too spread out, making it hard to follow. By the time you get to the next thought you're hard-pressed to remember what was said before. This is made worse by intercutting the voice-over with the titles. It's too much to keep track of. I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say in graphics, getting a little annoyed that it's taking so long to finish, and then half-way through I've got to start keeping track of the voiceover as well. I would say that the titles don't really add anything of value. The story is in their telling of it, and I get that they didn't really know each other, and then they did, and that they found true love.
    • I like the idea of them talking about how they met, but in this case the story is pretty boring.
    • A lot of the camera moves and choreographed shots have some great thinking behind them, but they end up feeling a bit awkward. You've already mentioned the equipment-based reasons (lack of reflectors, steadicams, etc.), but the couple also looks awkward. As you work on improving technically, keep an eye also on making your subjects more comfortable in front of the camera.
    • I like the reenactment of the actual proposal, but it's too little too late. Why not overcut them walking through the meadow, close-ups of the ring, their hands while she's telling the story? The shot of him kneeling is nice, but it would be more emotional to have those other shots in there as well, and would keep it from getting a little slow as we stay on her as she's telling the story.
    • After editing it's crucial to go back through and color correct each shot. Yes, you have problems in this video that are difficult or impossible to overcome in post, but there is still a lot of room for improvement in other areas. Many of the shots are too cool. The couple is in shadow, kissing about 6 minutes in, and they're blue. It's hard to feel warm and romantic when the image itself is so cool. Take the time to learn color correction. Even a basic 3-way color corrector can get you very far.
    • There's little relation between the cutting and the music. Music is really helpful in that it can provide a backbone on which the rhythm of the cut can rely. I get no sense that the cut is influenced by the music at all. You'd be amazed how much music can add--if you cut to it. Try cutting on the down beat a couple of times, and you'll see what I mean. You also would need more and varied images for that to work. In the back-end of the piece you could incorporate photos of them growing up, and then of the two of them together to beef up the footage that you shot.

I hope that helps! I've been editing for 20+ years, but I've never worked in weddings or engagements. I hope that it is still helpful.

I'd be interested to hear what wedding photographers think.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Cousin MadnessCousin Madness Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    DavidTO wrote: »
    There's a lot of good in this video, but I have trouble getting past the "bad" in it.

Here's what I think doesn't work.....

Three weeks and no reply. I think they are very lucky David to have someone take the time to give constructive feedback and in such detail as you did.

I have had an SLR around my neck for 38 years and recently discovered the World of HD video with the 7D. I wish someone would give me feedback like yours on my trial videos.....

Martin :D
    Some call me crazy - but friends call me Mad.

:photoCanada Lens Rentals - Come join us on Facebook

Canon 7D, EF 15mm Fisheye, EF 400 f2.8, EF 300f2.8, EF 100-400L IS, EF 70-200 f2.8, EF24-70 f2.8, 580EX II. Manfrotto mono, 055 ProB, 701 Video head.
    First SLR Zenith B, 12th Birthday 1972.
    Martin.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Three weeks and no reply. I think they are very lucky David to have someone take the time to give constructive feedback and in such detail as you did.

I have had an SLR around my neck for 38 years and recently discovered the World of HD video with the 7D. I wish someone would give me feedback like yours on my trial videos.....

Martin :D
    Have you posted them?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited August 15, 2010
    I have to say I agree with David. In addition, I would add that the inconsistent exposure bothers me.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?