Venture into Video - "Clarity" by John Mayer - Cover

JonDraperPhotoJonDraperPhoto Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited August 14, 2010 in Video
So I have begun a venture into the Video world.. and me and my friend Cameron Mitchell decided to cover and record "Clarity" by John Mayer. I did all the audio recording and mixing and played drums and the instruments Cameron isn't playing. I then used my Canon 5d mkII to film all of the actual takes and then pieced them together later in Premiere Pro. After a lot of work, I thought it turned out nice and kinda had a pomplamoose feel. Leave comments on my Video account or on here and let me know what you all think!

<object width="400" height="300">

<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=13629564&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></object>Clarity (Cover) - Cameron Mitchell - John Mayer Cover from Jon Draper on Vimeo.

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    I've moved this to our video forum thumb.gif
  • JonDraperPhotoJonDraperPhoto Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    oh thanks! I guess I didn't even realize there was a video section
  • kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    so lemme get this straight. in the production of this masterpiece you were the photographer, videographer, audio master, drummer, pianist, bassist, and tambourinist? i bowdown to you friend. perhaps you'd consider being the backup singer and/or dancer, and that would just complete the video. :) well-frickin-done man!!!! i assume you guys are at least a serious-amateur or semi-pro band, judging by your equipment? it's the microphone mostly, looks like a beast!

this is probably a biased review since I'm a John Mayer fan, but whatever. your friend Cameron sang very well too. make more videos like this please!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    that was great. I enjoyed it a bunch!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Excellent! Very nicely done. The only nit I have is this composition:

20100726-ee56ic8bdahawuebqnr78hyayq.jpg

It's so close to awesome, but just ends up being confusing.

Anyway, the performance, shot composition, editing, all very nicely done!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 26, 2010
    kevinpw wrote: »
    so lemme get this straight. in the production of this masterpiece you were the photographer, videographer, audio master, drummer, pianist, bassist, and tambourinist? i bowdown to you friend. perhaps you'd consider being the backup singer and/or dancer, and that would just complete the video. :) well-frickin-done man!!!! i assume you guys are at least a serious-amateur or semi-pro band, judging by your equipment? it's the microphone mostly, looks like a beast!

this is probably a biased review since I'm a John Mayer fan, but whatever. your friend Cameron sang very well too. make more videos like this please!

Haha thanks kevin, I am a musician.. but I can't sing so I always play a ton of the instruments on his songs.. but this was my first venture into videoing one of his songs. We like the Pomplamoose feel so we tried to capture that feel
    edited July 27, 2010
    i have no idea what Pomplamoose is, but whatever it is it's working well for you :) any more covers in the works?
    edited July 28, 2010
    We recorded "Stop This Train" WAY before this one and never did a music video for it.. but we shot it today and it will probably be up before the end of the week. More of a produced feel than this one
    edited August 2, 2010
    sweet. love that song too :)
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    I've seen Pompalamoose and it definitely gives that look, but you have a totally different vibe than they do. The video production is much more artistic and professional looking while the song recording is more straight forward than the multiple harmonies that they usually do with their videos. I really enjoyed it and the only thing I noticed is a bit too much hunting for composition at times. Sometimes it was good to change it up, sometimes it just looked like it was a "OH wait this looks better I should change it" moment

That is very minor though and is easily avoidable in future shooting. The video production is nothing short of great, with a rough edge or two. Keep at it and you'll get an even better flow going of your own style and taste.
    edited August 14, 2010
    Thank you very much Overfocused! I am about to add a new post with a link to the latest video I shot of Cameron Mitchell a week or so ago!