Options

Singer Music Promo

angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
edited August 18, 2010 in Video
It's been a bit since I last posted any work. I got the op recently to travel to Nashville and work-up a promo piece Recording Artist, Debie Robbins. I had originally hoped to be able to do Much, much shorter cuts and have to admit the outcome wasn't anywhere near what I had originally envisioned. She needs/Needed a promo piece she could send to potential Gig's. SO I knew I had to introduce her, Introduce some of her work, and She wanted some Bio info in there too. I did two versions this one ends with iTunes and CD Baby as sources. The other ends with Her contact info.

Please give me some feedback and critique of your thoughts or feelings on this effort.

thanks,

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OD2A5kHZ9oo?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>
tom wise

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    Cool. You've got a lot going on in this, and I can tell you've put a lot of work and thought into it.

A couple of problems stand out to me. The flying text in the beginning is a little on the cheesy side, simple fades would put the focus more on her and less on the fancy animation you're doing.

"From the Album Who's to Say" is a little hard to read. You might think about doing more to set the "From the Album" apart from the name of the album. A box or graphic element around one of them? Probably "From the Album".

The blue text is way too hard to read and the font is too funky for this context. Plus, for a moment I thought it was her name, and then realized no, you've already told me her name; the name of the song should be more closely associated with the name of the album. It looks like an entirely different thought. The "Little Bits and Pieces" comes on, but it's way off to the side for no apparent reason. Graphic design is hard, I know, that's why we have a graphics department at my work, so that I don't have to fix these issues. But I do think you need to address these type design problems.

When we can see her singing on camera large enough to tell, it's obvious that she's out of sync with the music. This is distracting. If you can't get it in sync, then I think you'll have to just not use it.

Why not use the voice over to separate the songs? It may need to be rewritten a bit, but could help give your piece some structure.

lastly, I'm not sure why you hang on the last shot quite so long, and a fade to black would be a nice touch!

Can't wait to see more!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2010
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Cool. You've got a lot going on in this, and I can tell you've put a lot of work and thought into it.

A couple of problems stand out to me. The flying text in the beginning is a little on the cheesy side, simple fades would put the focus more on her and less on the fancy animation you're doing.

"From the Album Who's to Say" is a little hard to read. You might think about doing more to set the "From the Album" apart from the name of the album. A box or graphic element around one of them? Probably "From the Album".

The blue text is way too hard to read and the font is too funky for this context. Plus, for a moment I thought it was her name, and then realized no, you've already told me her name; the name of the song should be more closely associated with the name of the album. It looks like an entirely different thought. The "Little Bits and Pieces" comes on, but it's way off to the side for no apparent reason. Graphic design is hard, I know, that's why we have a graphics department at my work, so that I don't have to fix these issues. But I do think you need to address these type design problems.

When we can see her singing on camera large enough to tell, it's obvious that she's out of sync with the music. This is distracting. If you can't get it in sync, then I think you'll have to just not use it.

Why not use the voice over to separate the songs? It may need to be rewritten a bit, but could help give your piece some structure.

lastly, I'm not sure why you hang on the last shot quite so long, and a fade to black would be a nice touch!

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks DAVIDTO for the very well thought out critique!

I think I may do a rework, and graphics is where I would focus.

Not sure about the out of sync issue...I look, relook and I still don't see it. Of course what I did was play the two tracks within premiere and sync them. Hmm!

As far as the hanging on at the last frame, that comes from the other version which I do not show here that hangs her contact info on. Perhaps it could stand to be shortened!

Yeah agreed about the font on the album song. It actually matches the album quite well but due to the darkness of the scene, it comes across rather poorly.

Thanks once again for taking the time to critique. Critiquing is hard, but oh so necessary!
    tom wise