Options

What kind of Video Camera for $1400?

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited June 13, 2009 in Video
I got a $1400 budget for a video camera. I have been looking at some online used and they all look great but which one do I use? I could go up in price some but would like to keep it around this price. I am going to be using it on jobsites for interviewing and then the video will be blown up through a projector onto a wall so it needs to be good quality.

I have seen the
Panasonic DVX100a

for $1400. Is that a good camera?

Also is the Canon GL2 better then the XL1-2? Is the GL2 a solid camera?

Is the 5d Mk2 a sufficient camera at video to consider it as a viable opportunity. Although I am aware that this price will not get me one. :)

I would like to buy and HD camera at professional quality but I notice they have a price tag about $600 more then I wanted to spend. Is it worth it?

Does anyone have a camera they are wanting to sell that fits this bill?

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I got a $1400 budget for a video camera. I have been looking at some online used and they all look great but which one do I use? I could go up in price some but would like to keep it around this price. I am going to be using it on jobsites for interviewing and then the video will be blown up through a projector onto a wall so it needs to be good quality.

I have seen the
    Panasonic DVX100a

for $1400. Is that a good camera?

Also is the Canon GL2 better then the XL1-2? Is the GL2 a solid camera?

Is the 5d Mk2 a sufficient camera at video to consider it as a viable opportunity. Although I am aware that this price will not get me one. :)

I would like to buy and HD camera at professional quality but I notice they have a price tag about $600 more then I wanted to spend. Is it worth it?

Does anyone have a camera they are wanting to sell that fits this bill?

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. :)

the gl2 and xl1 /xl2 are basically all the same bodies the main difference being. the xl series are larger and allow for interchangeable lenses. the gl2 is smaller and does not take interchangeable lens. the gl2 is probably more in your price range because the xl series with an additional lens will be too high for you.... but if you can swing it it may provide more use for future expandability. the xl camera have a shoulder support and are easier to use there. while the gl2 is too small to hold on its own without an adapter on your shoulder. of course a tripod works well with both. both have similar sensors and are broadcast quality. I have owened all these cameras and others much like them. please let me know if you have any questions that i can help futher with. you also mentioned using a slr as an option... i would say its possible but not your best option. youll be limited in your record time, and its much harder to use. Also they are not fully manual like one of these video cameras. but if you decide on that route you can get hd video on the nikon d90 as well as the cannon you mentioned for about a grand plus your lenses.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,815 moderator
    edited June 12, 2009
    I moved this to the "Action!" forum which is where we discuss video equipment.

Make sure you watch the "Feature Tour" of the XL2 in a link on the following page:

http://www.dvcreators.net/canon-xl2/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Thanks Jermbubba

Which HD camera is the best a low price?

Would shooting with an HD camera of similar price maybe $1000 more then the XL-2 make a noticable difference? I notice there are lots of cameras with "HD".
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Thanks Jermbubba

Which HD camera is the best a low price?

Would shooting with an HD camera of similar price maybe $1000 more then the XL-2 make a noticable difference? I notice there are lots of cameras with "HD".

well first you need to ask yourself... why do you want HD? can you afford HD ( camera tapes software hardware)? What are you making this for. will it even be veiwable in HD? Yes if the camera you go with is really HD then yes there is a huge difference. yes there are many comsumer smaller cameras like the JVC HD Everio for example that do shoot hd. but you are limited . no lens choices and its more of an automatic camera. so should you want more manual controls you might be outa luck. Ive never tried any of these type of cameras like the one mentioned but they may work for you. Currently im using 2 cannon xl2s for things i need done in SD and for my HD work I use the Cannon XHa1 which is basically teh GL camera you asked about but in HD with some additional features as well. I guess it all comes down to what you really want it for. your budget and if you want to consider buying for future expandability. for example. i work in a large hospital system and i still shoot entirley SD. why? because all the tvs in the statewide system are still sd. we even have a weekly tv broadcast that goes out live across the state.... it too is SD. HD is still newish untill other peoples hardware is upgraded we wont be shelling out the cash for new HD cameras. However I wish that werent the case because the difference is huge IMHO ... either way good luck. take your time and think about all the possibilities today and in the future of what you may be using it for.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Those are good questions. With that in mind how do you get the video off the MiniDV tape? DO you need a tape deck to connect to the computer or can you connect right to your camera?

If I sound like a noob its because I am. :D
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    every one starts somewhere. dont be ashamed of that. if you have fun and enjoy it who cares. :)

yes you could use a tape deck. ( wich i recomend) because it would put less wear and tear on your camera and the internal heads the play the tape. or you can use the camera pluged into your computer via USB or firewire (depending on your model camera ) and it works just fine that way too. if your not doing a ton of transfering all the time then I wouldnt worry about a deck. IMO. I regularly use a camera for tranfering and have had no problems but on the other hand one of my XL2 just started acting up and i never use it as a deck... ha thats just how it goes i gues :) by they way do you plan on editing your footage? if so what prog do you plan on using.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Jermbubba wrote:
    every one starts somewhere. dont be ashamed of that. if you have fun and enjoy it who cares. :)

yes you could use a tape deck. ( wich i recomend) because it would put less wear and tear on your camera and the internal heads the play the tape. or you can use the camera pluged into your computer via USB or firewire (depending on your model camera ) and it works just fine that way too. if your not doing a ton of transfering all the time then I wouldnt worry about a deck. IMO. I regularly use a camera for tranfering and have had no problems but on the other hand one of my XL2 just started acting up and i never use it as a deck... ha thats just how it goes i gues :) by they way do you plan on editing your footage? if so what prog do you plan on using.

I haven't really figured out yet what program to use. I am not sure of all the expenses that go into this process. Final Cut is always talked about I figured I would give that a look.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    yup final cut is my choice as well. you might look into final cut express. since your just starting out and its a heck of alot cheaper

also im headed outa town. If you have any questions let me know ill get back with ya on monday.
    take care good luck
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I haven't really figured out yet what program to use. I am not sure of all the expenses that go into this process. Final Cut is always talked about I figured I would give that a look.
    Hey

Video is addicting, once you see it, especially in HD your gunna want more.

Recall the video I shot of you guys?

that was easy to edit because my computer could keep up with the footage from the G10, which is not HD. I would rec 640x480 with a quality camera rather than a crappy HD. HD quality comes down to the size of the chip. The Sony EX1 I use is great quality because it is the first 1/2 inch chip. The still cameras have even larger size chips/sensors making the potential quality even greater. However, there are many large obstacles to overcome with any of the still video cameras out now, 5dM11 especially. For example, audio is terrible, there is no built in ND filter, there are multiple lenses forcing you to change lenses during shooting, which could and will lead to dust. Dust on a chip with stills is bad enough in video, well that would really suck!

The new Panasonic coming this July looks like the still camera that would fit in your budget and shoots real HD that is 1920x1080 not just 1080x720. And it has auto focuswings.gif I may need to get me one of thesewings.gif Because this camera shoots to a card it is way easier to deal with. Transferring from tape to a computer takes just as long as it took to shooteek7.gif

Having said all this I would say you would be better off with a lower res camera that includes many VIDEO features.

Final Cut Express Rocks, the best bang for the buck! I have used both Express and Pro, the pro/studio version includes things you most likely will not even learn for a year or two anyway!

Dont forget to make yourself one of these!
  • Options
    BlackCoffeeBlackCoffee Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Consider this budget (I'm presuming alot here, so don't be offended one way or the other):

Canon HV20 (used) ................................................ $400
    Bogen Tripod and Head (745XB, 501HDV) BHPhoto...... $500
    Adobe Premiere Elements (BH Photo)......................... $70
    20 miniDV Sony Premium tapes (BH Photo)............... $50
    Raynox HD-6600 zoom through .66x wide angle (BH).. $120
    Raynox HD-2200Pro LE 2.2x telephoto adapter (BH)... $130
    2 sets of basic filters by Hoya (BH)............................ $90
    Training (books, DVD, online) .................................. $100

Total (blood, sweat, tears and quadcore PC by you).....$1460

Consider yourself at the base of a very tall peak. You may or may not want to reach the top of this peak, which is hidden in the clouds. You may be happy at Camp 1.

This budget gets you up on the route, well protected and on solid ground. You can shoot wide, you can shoot long, you will shoot solidly on a good tripod and head, you can shoot fall colors, water, and Big Sky with the filter sets, you can re-use the tapes or use them for archiving. Adobe Premiere Elements is amazing, or use Final Cut Express if on a Mac. Plan on 40 hours at 'school' to get up and running with the software, via books or a DVD course.

I started out on a Canon XL1s, then a GL2, then a Sony PD170, then a Canon HV10 (still carry it everywhere), then a Sony HC7, then a Sony V1U, finally, three HV20's. First it was Sony Vegas, now Final Cut Pro. (I prefer Vegas, but...) I saw Adobe Premiere Elements demonstrated at NAB and was highly impressed.

I dig HD. It's gorgeous. It's also harder to work with than DV. You can start out shooting widescreen DV on the HV20 if you'd like. DV looks fine projected on a big scree. But HD looks stunning...

If you don't like video, sell everything for 25% percent off and consider it a learning experience.

Happy Shooting,
    Scott

PS I just realized you were aiming for interviews. So you'd probably want to substitute an entry level wireless mic system, as opposed to the Wide Angle and Telephoto adapter lenses. Also, if you're headed away from the grid, you'll need batteries and a case or two.