Options

Music resource?

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Video
I need to find a resource for music ideas to go with slide shows and videos. I've been asked to use pictures that I've taken throughout the season of a baseball team and make a video for their banquet. I'm terrible at picking out music. Where can I get ideas and download music?

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2009
    i would start by googling royalty free music, other wise you will need to get licensing from BMI or ASCAP to legally use the music..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    i would start by googling royalty free music, other wise you will need to get licensing from BMI or ASCAP to legally use the music..............

The royalty free music was a great idea but not quite what I had in mind. This is not for proffit so do I still have to pay for the use? I've made videos of my kid before and used music I had on my computer. What's the difference?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    The royalty free music was a great idea but not quite what I had in mind. This is not for proffit so do I still have to pay for the use? I've made videos of my kid before and used music I had on my computer. What's the difference?

If you get caught, it is extremely big fines and jail time.........

You should have permission to use any copyrighted material.....and all music is copyrighted...just like photos......would you want someone to use a really cute pic of your kid that you took on their website for any reason.......without your permission??????????

.......even music on your computer is not to be used in for anything besides being listened to on your computer......maybe you don't know this but you can make back ups of your SOFTWARE....but you are not supposed to even download music off a cd to computer or mp3 players.....you are supposed to buy it ready for download.......but pirating has been going on forever....
    ...........it was illegal to record record to a cassette tape also, but we did it and thought nothing of it.

art
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    I understand that pirating is bad. I have paid for every song on my computer. Please tell me if I'm way off base here but, once I have purchased the song, shouldn't I be able to play it anywhere as long as I'm not making money from it or keeping the artist from making money from it? Once someone buys a print from me I can't keep them from scanning and showing it in a slideshow that they show at a family reunion. It would be another story if they were charging admission or using my photo for an add or something. Please don't think I'm arguing because I have a great respect for you. I just think 70 dollars for one song (and thats not even for a popular song) for Joe Schmo to put in a little league video that will be played one time is a little much.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    I understand that pirating is bad. I have paid for every song on my computer. Please tell me if I'm way off base here but, once I have purchased the song, shouldn't I be able to play it anywhere as long as I'm not making money from it or keeping the artist from making money from it? Once someone buys a print from me I can't keep them from scanning and showing it in a slideshow that they show at a family reunion. It would be another story if they were charging admission or using my photo for an add or something. Please don't think I'm arguing because I have a great respect for you. I just think 70 dollars for one song (and thats not even for a popular song) for Joe Schmo to put in a little league video that will be played one time is a little much.

I agree whole heartedly it is waaaay to much......however I have given you all the info I have after a mere 5yrs working with music for various projects and havng to defend out department ( iwas the Performance Facilities Manager at a University and we had 2 complete recording studios and used lots of licensed music for various reasons) for a students' use of our equipment for a personal upload........I also know that there are probably bajillions of websites with music uploaded that has no clue it is a copy right infringement.
    I sorta agree that once you plunk down bucks for a song it should be yours to do with pretty much as you see fit.......
    I know I do not repay for each copy of my music as it moves from computer to computer to 4 or 5 different other mediums and mp3 players......I just can't afford it myself...............

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    You know, there's a lot of fear around using licensed music, and it is warranted. At the same time, I'll tell you this: I work in motion picture advertising, and we license every little bit of music if it's going in a TV spot or trailer. BUT if we're cutting a piece for something like ShoWest, or another trade show (IOW it's not advertising) then we don't license the music. Because it's not being used for commercial purposes. Sounds a little sketchy, eh? I mean the piece is playing to thousands of exhibitors (the fancy word for people that own movie theaters), but since it's not considered advertising it doesn't require the license.

I'm not an attorney, and I'm not giving advice, just saying that even in my business we don't always have to pay for music usage.

I, for one, would have no qualms using music in a video for personal use. I would show it to friends and family.

As for ideas on finding music, I find iTunes Essentials to be pretty handy. They break it down thematically and by decade and music style. You can preview before you buy. Other than that, it's just brute force, in my experience. That's why we have a music supervisor. He narrows down the mountain into a molehill for us. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I sorta agree that once you plunk down bucks for a song it should be yours to do with pretty much as you see fit.......

This just doesn't make sense. Music is licensed, and when you license it, there are specific terms of that license. The license determines the territories you can use it in, and the period of time you can use it. We often license our music domestically in perpetuity. Anyway, when you buy a song you're basically licensing it for personal use. You don't own it. You wouldn't sell a print to a customer and then be ok with them publishing it without contacting you for a license for that particular use.

EDIT: Sorry, I re-read the thread and caught the context of Art's original comment, he wasn't really suggesting that you should be able to do anything at all with the track. Anyway, reading is hard and my reply comes off a bit harsh, perhaps.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    Tangential moment of humor.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:

EDIT: Sorry, I re-read the thread and caught the context of Art's original comment, he wasn't really suggesting that you should be able to do anything at all with the track.

Anyway, reading is hard and my reply comes off a bit harsh, perhaps.

Writing to be understood is even more harder at times. (incorrect grammar on purpose....more funner that way:D)

• Options
    DigitizeMeDigitizeMe Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2009
    here is an idea
    " time of your life" I believe the band is Green Day? Very good song for stuff like that.
    Clixphoto wrote:
    I need to find a resource for music ideas to go with slide shows and videos. I've been asked to use pictures that I've taken throughout the season of a baseball team and make a video for their banquet. I'm terrible at picking out music. Where can I get ideas and download music?