Options

Upgrade or new system: Think outside the box...

MooseKillerMooseKiller Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited June 27, 2009 in Video
OK, so, I am posting this here in Action! as I am looking to get a bias toward a video way of thinking since I am still a video nOOb...

What I am interested in is the "unknown unknowns" regarding a system/kit upgrade. Since I am new to video, I know there are things I don't know, what to look for, nor what to ask... And this is where you and your opinions/suggestions come in. :D Think outside the box, the most bang for the buck, looking toward future upgrades, etc...

I am primarily a still landscape/wildlife photographer, though recently my interests are pointing me toward video. I am looking for a balance between the two, though I am guessing a system that can handle video will easily do stills. My interest in video would be landscape/wildlife, as well as sports/motorsports, and the occasional vacation/family events type thing.

This is my current system and kit:

Computer:
Mac PowerPC G5 Dual 2 gig processor (pre Intel)
OS 10.5.6 (Leopard)
3 gig RAM (2 x 512m, 2 x 1g, 4 slots open)
3 open PCI-X slots
ATI Radeon 9600 XT video card (AGP 128m)
160 gig primary HD (original to system, SMART verified)
500 gig secondary HD (about 1.5 years old, SMART verified)
- No available drive bays
2 x 19" CRT monitors
Wacom 4x6 tablet
iSight Firewire camera

Software:
Final Cut Express 4.0.1 (learning to use, relatively proficient)
PhotoShop CS 8.0 (not proficient at all, thinking Aperture :scratch )
Miscellaneous apps like Elements, PhotoStitch, etc...
SmugMug Power user

Kit:
Canon Digital Rebel (Original)
- Various EF & EF-S glass & accessories
Panasonic SDR-H40P videocamera & extra battery

Sooooo... Where would you spend your money to upgrade? (I'd like to keep Mac and Canon product based... :deal ). Is the system good enough to last long enough to make any new upgrades worth their cost? Is a better system the prefered route and keep dreaming about a T1i or 5DmkII? What about long term archiving of video/photos? What important questions am I not asking and should be? Why are you suggesting this specific thing? Again, think outside the box... I purposely left budget out just to see what would come up. Both tight, meager budget suggestions right along side wild dreamer lottery winner budgets are good!

Thank you for your input! I look forward to your input! :ear

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,815 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    What is it you really want to do? Please elaborate on both your video intentions and your still camera intentions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2009
    Thanks for the inquiry, Ziggy! Hopefully this will help:

I think my still photography would be my "bread and butter" hobby, so to speak. Most of my art would be in the form of landscapes/wildlife/still life, though I honestly can't see me becoming a PhotoShop pro. I want to learn the technical side of photography so my photos won't need as much touch up, so something as powerful as PS is not what I'd need (I know I am way over simplifying in this area). I doubt I'd ever go professional, but I'd like some solid results, which comes from practice and education.

As for video, this is more of a pursuit of whimsy. My desires here are more for fun: "music videos", documentaries of our vacation/travels, possible web casts, stupid-videos-around-the-house-of-the-dog-type thing, and family events like birthdays/graduations/weddings/etc... I also want to do motorsports (onboard filming on my motorcycle, that kind of thing). However, I can easily see that I would be spending a lot more time processing and editing video than stills. While I have no strong desire to immerse myself in learning PhotoShop at this time, I do have the desire to learn Final Cut Express inside and out.

My "list of lust" right now involves either a Canon 5DmkII, though the T1i would take all the lenses I currently own. What interests me in these cameras is that they do both still and video, so I (generally) wouldn't need to carry an additional video camera along with my primary kit, as well as the creative options that dSLR lenses allow over traditional videocameras. My videocamera is relatively new, though not as flexible as I'd hoped (can't accept an external video source like a bullet cam). However, I see the writing on the wall when it comes to my current system. Since it is a non-Intel based Mac, fewer and fewer apps and peripherals are becoming available. Other items include eSATA drives, internal video capture cards, long term data storage and archiving....

Over all, I'd say that the split is 60/40 stills to video in terms of pursuit and desire, though the reverse of that in terms of time spent in post production processing.

My goal for this thread is to try and get feedback and ideas on where to go, to try to take advantage of the experience of those who have been where I am now, to gain knowledge in areas that I don't know what questions to ask, and take the next step in creativity... Any and all suggestions and ideas are appreciated!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,815 moderator
    edited June 26, 2009
    I doubt that you would enjoy doing typical video capture or production using any of the current dSLRs. AF is sketchy and uncertain and nothing like the camcorder that you have. Exposure systems are getting better but not as good as a dedicated camcorder, although you can use manual exposure now with the 5D MKII if you have the latest firmware.

I don't know if you've done any video editing with video from your current camcorder but I doubt it is up to the bandwidth required for 1080P from the 5D MKII, although you might be OK for the SD video which the 5D MKII can also capture. That would probably mean a computer upgrade for HD editing, which could also benefit your still image production (with appropriate software).

I suggest using your current camcorder and computer to experiment and learn about video acquisition and editing. It is true that decent video editing and processing technique can enhance good video.

I do think you would benefit more than you think by learning PhotoShop editing and processing as well. There is only so much that the camera alone can do and the processing intrinsic to a still digital camera is nothing compared to the capabilities of a full-blown editing computer and software.

If I were to build a roadmap for you it would include upgrading just about every component of your current system. If you really mean it about 60 percent of your attention towards still image production then that's where you should start your upgrade.

The Canon 5D MKII is a spectacular still camera, but not a very good video camera. That may sound confusing but, while the ultimate video image quality is very good to excellent, it requires a lot more technique compared to a typical camcorder.

The 5D II also requires the very best Canon lenses for the very best results in the still acquisition role. EF-S lenses will not fit, which you appear to know.

The Canon 500D/t1i can both do HD video and SD video, but I haven't seen a very good review concentrating on the video properties of the Canon 500D/t1i. I do not believe that it has microphone or line level inputs. The 1080P is limited to 20 fps. I also do not believe that it has much control over exposure.

The Canon 500D/t1i could make a pretty good still camera but it is an entry level camera so it doesn't compare to some of the tricks the 5D MKII is able to conjur. Still, compared to what you have in the original dRebel it is a pretty good upgrade. As you said it can use all of your current lenses so it might make a good transitional camera for you, allowing for a more gentle lens upgrade path.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2009
    Thank you for the in depth write up and insight on the cameras... I also appreciate the suggestion about PhotoShop too. I think my concern there is that having given it a spin, it is a very complicated and power app, and even with some of the books I have read haven't helped much. I am a visual learner, so I will need to find a class if they head this way...

Thanks again for the info!!