Options

Not actually a video :) But...

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Video
It is a slideshow, with music and sfx. This is my forte more so than video, so I thought I would post it to get some critique.

My roommate asked me to take some pictures of his sailing camp he teaches in the summer. And I had a lot of decent photos, so I put together this slideshow for him as well. Later, at their end of the summer Fish Fry, knowing that I was working on it, they asked me to present it. So I brought my TV and speakers and showed to all the guests, families and board members, and according to my roommate, everyone loved it. They were still talking about it days later. So it made me feel good for being my first paying gig :)

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NjE0NTMyOTI0Jms9TkZKbmgmYT05MjA1OTA1X1MzallnJnU9TW5lbW9zeW5l" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjE0NTMyOTI0Jms9TkZKbmgmYT05MjA1OTA1X1MzallnJnU9TW5lbW9zeW5l" width="640" height="480" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    edited August 14, 2009
    Using the quotes to bookend the slideshow is a great idea and helps to identify the content in the images with the nautical theme.

I note that you used motion in the titles but not in the images themselves. Some motion in the images can be a good thing to help direct attention, provide a reveal or even indicate motion for the subject of the image.

Transitions are another component to consider when there is either a time or location change.

Altogether nice job as is. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Using the quotes to bookend the slideshow is a great idea and helps to identify the content in the images with the nautical theme.

I note that you used motion in the titles but not in the images themselves. Some motion in the images can be a good thing to help direct attention, provide a reveal or even indicate motion for the subject of the image.

Transitions are another component to consider when there is either a time or location change.

Altogether nice job as is. thumb.gif

If there's motion in the titles, it's news to me. There shouldn't have been any motion whatsoever, I'm not a fan of the Ken Burns effect.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    edited August 14, 2009
    Mnemosyne wrote:
    If there's motion in the titles, it's news to me. There shouldn't have been any motion whatsoever, I'm not a fan of the Ken Burns effect.

My bad. You might try it both ways and see if an independent audience has a preference.

It's still good stuff and I'm glad you took the time to produce it and share with us.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Mnemosyne wrote:

Overall great job and fun to watch. Makes me want to go sailing...

but...I do agree with Ziggy. The motion in the titles is the addition of the name of the person who provided the quote. I personally like transitions and the 'Ken Burns effect'. Just makes the pictures that much more interesting. ...IMHO of course...

Thanks for posting.

Wayne in Oregon
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Every single person I worked with at my paper, and my professors tell me not to use it :) So I've been trained not to.

Not saying I wouldn't use it in the future, just don't want to over use it.

Plus, this is not a perfect example of the kind of slideshows I've done for my visual communication classes. This was just a fun one I threw together in one evening.

But thanks for the input, I'll consider it for future ones.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat