Options

Transferring video from MiniDV camcorder to laptop

agilepawzagilepawz Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited February 3, 2009 in Video
Hi all,

Please pardon my ignorance of all things video, but I was wondering if you all could assist me.

I have a Panasonic Mini DV camcorder (Model PV-GS35) and I would like to be able to transfer the video from the tape to my laptop. I have recorded short dog training sessions and competitions. I'd like to be able to sort the clips by trial or date or dog (or something) and burn the organized clips onto DVDs. I am totally unsure of what I need, so I went to Best Buy and now have left the store twice totally confused.:scratch

On my first visit, the clerk told me I needed and S video cable but stopped me on my way out of the store to tell me that an S video cable probably wouldn't work because most laptops only provide video out.

So, on trip #2 to the store, the Geek Squad guy told me I need this: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm

So, the question is, do I need either one of these things? The camera (from what I can tell) has an AV out, an S video port, a DV port, and a mini USB port. Do I need this Dazzle gizmo or just a different cable?

I have the Windows video software but I don't know if that'll do, or if I need something else there too. I'd like to make this as inexpensive of a fix as possible.

Thanks! (and sorry for being soooo newbie) Michele

Comments

• Options
    norcalshooternorcalshooter Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Your camera should have shipped with the cables needed to transfer.
    Either with firewire through the DV port, or with USB through their miniport to your laptop's full size USB.
    Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
    Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
    --
    If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
    jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    agilepawzagilepawz Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Your camera should have shipped with the cables needed to transfer.
    Either with firewire through the DV port, or with USB through their miniport to your laptop's full size USB.

Thank you. My camera didn't ship with anything other than the AV cable but I have a mini usb cable and it worked beautifully. I'll be returning the other thing to Best Buy at lunch.

Thanks!! Michele