Options

Dad stuff

waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited February 17, 2009 in Video
I like to come in here and watch all the videos that are posted. Thought I would throw a couple of mine out there for anyone else like me.

These are just a couple little fun videos of my son's 8th grade basketball team from a tournament last weekend. For parent enjoyment only.

Game 1:
http://waygard33.smugmug.com/gallery/7322458_ELeeQ/1/#471110471_yF8EE-A-LB

Game 2:
http://waygard33.smugmug.com/gallery/7322458_ELeeQ/1/#471393702_sSXpN-A-LB

Wayne in Oregon

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:
    I like to come in here and watch all the videos that are posted. Thought I would throw a couple of mine out there for anyone else like me.

These are just a couple little fun videos of my son's 8th grade basketball team from a tournament last weekend. For parent enjoyment only.

Game 1:
    http://waygard33.smugmug.com/gallery/7322458_ELeeQ/1/#471110471_yF8EE-A-LB

Game 2:
    http://waygard33.smugmug.com/gallery/7322458_ELeeQ/1/#471393702_sSXpN-A-LB

Wayne in Oregon

These turned out great Wayne, picked good sound tracks for these as well,
    I enjoyed them thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    These turned out great Wayne, picked good sound tracks for these as well,
    I enjoyed them thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy. My son picked out the music for the 2nd one. I'd never even heard it before. Not quite my favorite but it got him interested.

wg
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    Hi Wayne,
    Enjoyed the videos. Can I ask what kind of camera and editing software you're using? I'm sure you've noticed the horizontal streaking in the faster moving scenes (which is most of them in a bball game :D). You might have some luck getting rid of that by deinterlacing the video - depending on what you're using that option could be available in a myriad of ways and places (or it might not be available at all).

Anyways, I realize you didn't ask for help, but I've fought many battles with that and thought I'd offer my $.02.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2009
    hyachts wrote:
    Hi Wayne,
    Enjoyed the videos. Can I ask what kind of camera and editing software you're using? I'm sure you've noticed the horizontal streaking in the faster moving scenes (which is most of them in a bball game :D). You might have some luck getting rid of that by deinterlacing the video - depending on what you're using that option could be available in a myriad of ways and places (or it might not be available at all).

Anyways, I realize you didn't ask for help, but I've fought many battles with that and thought I'd offer my $.02.

Sam

Hi Sam,
    I've taken movies forever...since my daughter was born back in 1989, but I'm just starting to actually do something with them so I'll take all the help I can get.

I have a Sony HDR-CX7. It records to MemPro sticks. I use Pinnacle for editing and making the movie. I output an Mpeg2 file. I've experimented with outputing HD but unfortunately, I don't have anything that will play it.

I'm interested in the deinterlacing. What are the pros and cons? I assume better picture. Are the files bigger?

Thanks for looking and I look forward to the tips and comments.

Wayne in Oregon
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    Well... I'm afraid I know just enough about video to be dangerous (and to occasionally produce a decent looking bit of footage). Here's a site with a pretty good (and reasonably understandable) explanation of what interlacing (and deinterlacing) means:
    http://www.100fps.com/

I'm afraid I can't offer anything terribly helpful about your specific video format and Pinnacle - I think Pinnacle is supposed to handle that sort of thing "automagically". But, as you can plainly see in your video, the magic falls a little flat sometimes. I use it (Studio 12), but I convert my video from the camcorder into MPEG2 first using a third party tool. What I can say with reasonable certainty is that the horizontal banding you see is related to either no deinterlacing or poorly handled deinterlacing in the transcoded video. There is a giant mess of tools out there - some good, many bad - to convert video into formats that will play nicely with consumer tools like Pinnacle. I would suggest picking a short clip and running it through Pinnacle and/or some of those other tools with a variety of output settings until you find the settings that work best for your content.

To add to the frustration, once you've gotten video that plays well locally (and, for example, on a DVD) you have to get it up to SmugMug. While their setup does an admirable job of processing a wide array of input into good looking video there will always be video formats that it handles poorly or not at all. Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to just try it. When I first started editing and uploading video from my HD camcorder (uses AVCHD) to Smug I spent at least two days futzing with different formats and settings before I found ones that didn't make me furious... and I'm still not totally satisfied.

Sorry to be such a downer. On the up side you could probably just ignore everything I've said and go right on living a happy productive life with pretty decent looking videos on your website. :D
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    Sam,
    Just wanted to say thanks for that link on the interlacing. It's a bit more detailed than I have time to go into for now but I will definitely work to improve that problem as I move forward.

I noticed that when I pause the video, the interlacing problem is VERY prominent.

Thanks again,
    Wayne in Oregon