Options

Question I could not answer

RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited March 21, 2009 in Video
Had a client ask me about video editing software. SHe wanted a recomendation and had to tell her I did not have a clue, but would ask around.

What should she get? PC compatable. She will be doing some fairly in depth production for a non-profit.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-

Comments

• Options
    tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    premiere pro from adobe. There is certainly a learning curve however. It could be too advanced for her.

For no learning curve, windows movie maker!
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Had a client ask me about video editing software. SHe wanted a recomendation and had to tell her I did not have a clue, but would ask around.

What should she get? PC compatable. She will be doing some fairly in depth production for a non-profit.

Main questions is "what does she want to do?"

Windows Movie Maker, very easy, simple...

Pinnacle offers Studio, which I think is on version 12, a more advanced editing suite

Sony offers Vegas, also midrange on the amateur side...

Adobe has Premiere Elements, also midrange...

SemiPro stuff would be Pinnacle Liquid, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Express...

Pro would be Adobe Premiere CS4, Final Cut Pro, Avid - FreeDV, Mojo, Adrenaline... Green Valley...

But if she wants to just edit home videos, she can def. start with Windows Movie Maker... or a lot of people like the Adobe Elements combo, Photoshop/Premiere Elements... although, I'm a bit more partial to Pinnacle's Studio version 9... yes, I know, I'm way behind...

Hope this helps...

thumb.gif
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    From what you said in your original post, my recommendation Pinnacle. It is simple to use and can do all the basic editing. If she has no clue about anything, something like Adobe Production Studio might be a bit overwhelming. I'm not a fan of Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere Elements at all.

Adobe Premiere is simple to use (in my opinion), and paired with the official Adobe Classroom in a Book she should be able to jump right in. It is however a lot more expensive then Pinnacle.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    I'll add a recommendation for Pinnacle Studio. I've had three versions and it's plenty of power and flexibility for personal use (and probably some home/small business needs) without being a lot of work to learn.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,812 moderator
    edited March 21, 2009
    Some of the newer video file formats are very picky about what software can edit them. What camera and format does she wish to edit?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums