Options

OpLove Coverage: USS Vella Gulf (CG-72) Homecoming

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited May 4, 2009 in Video
I'm a member of a network of Operation: Love Reunited photographers who donate time, materials, energy, and emotion to an effort to say, "Thanks for all you do" to the soldiers, sailors, and airmen of the United States Military.

Recently, I had the pleasure to cover the return after a 7-month cruise of the Ticonderoga class Aegis guided missile cruiser USS Vella Gulf (CG-72).

This slide show is short sample of what I came away with. The slide show was produced using software and services donated to OpLove by Animoto.

<object width="640" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NTA2NTg0Nzk1Jms9cVpmbjQmYT03ODEyMTM4X0ZGelZuJnU9TG92ZU5MYXVnaHRlcg==" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTA2NTg0Nzk1Jms9cVpmbjQmYT03ODEyMTM4X0ZGelZuJnU9TG92ZU5MYXVnaHRlcg==" width="640" height="356" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

The DoD allows OpLove photographer to support the troops and their family, but they require the follwoing statment be attached to any publication of OpLove images depicting the military:

The photographs and other content of this publication do not constitute or
imply any endorsement or recommendation by the Department of Defense.

Comments

• Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Very Nice! Thank you!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Hi Scott-

Very nice!
    I really appreciate these emotionally charged photos...

My only nit is one of the early photos has a gal bending over and you can see a good deal of her bare backside... not exactly flattering.
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Very nice. Thank you for taking the time to put this together and sharing with us. It brings back memories of when I returned home from Desert Storm....all four times.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    Very nice. Thank you for taking the time to put this together and sharing with us. It brings back memories of when I returned home from Desert Storm....all four times.:thumb
    All I have to say about that is "Thanks!!"
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Scott,

Good job!! I have signed up for the program, but have never been contacted. :-(

Disclaimer! I would, and will conform to the rules and procedures of OPlove, and the DOD if and when I perform this service.

That said I don't need any permission from the DOD to take photos of returning military personnel, or to publish them.

Just as a discussion, and to learn...............do you know where this statement comes from? Do they give an OPlove photographer special access or anything?
    \
    OH, and thank you goldenstarphoto for your service, and glad your back.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Scott,

Good job!! I have signed up for the program, but have never been contacted. :-(

Disclaimer! I would, and will conform to the rules and procedures of OPlove, and the DOD if and when I perform this service.

That said I don't need any permission from the DOD to take photos of returning military personnel, or to publish them.

Just as a discussion, and to learn...............do you know where this statement comes from? Do they give an OPlove photographer special access or anything?
    \
    OH, and thank you goldenstarphoto for your service, and glad your back.

Sam
    Sam,

As to needed permission to photography returning military - ummmm ... depends on how you look at it.
    • If the member is returning via a civilian airport, your camera can be excluded from the property by airport security - it's not public property.
    • If the member is returning to a military installation - your person as well as your equipment can be barred access to the installation.
    I agree, once you get the photos, there's nothing to stop you from publishing them in any manner you wish. There may be concquences, for example, if there is ANY military ordinance, equipment, or property of any kind in the photo. And, it used to be "common knowledge" that the military member, himself, is/was government property. :D I don't know if that still holds but ....

Oh, and BTW, I agree with what I'm sure is going to be said, all the above is pretty hard-line. But it is ALL fact, and a fact of life that one needs to deal with.

Here's part of the answer to your question about the source of the disclaimer. It was arrived at in negotiations between OpLove and the DoD. I wasn't a party to those discussions, all I know is some of the outcome.
    Department of Defense Disclaimer
    PHOTOGRAPHER understands that the following disclaimer, in whole and without modification, must be placed on any website or other media where any OPLOVE photos will be publicly accessible, or on the photo itself if it is published separately:

“The photos and other content of this publication do not constitute or imply any endorsement or recommendation by the Department of Defense.”

PHOTOGRAPHER understands that should for any reason breaking this agreement, will be subject to fines and other penalties under the Privacy Act.
    I believe this is standard practice on the part of the government to ensure there is no mis-understanding ... the government does not endore any business for any purpose, regardless of whether that busines is non-profit or otherwise.

Finally, I have created another slideshow for another homecoming client (thread of photos is here) that I can not link to in a public forum because there are 4 images in that show which contain the last name of the sailor. Oh, well....
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Hi Scott,

Again great job, and thanks for helping those who sacrifice so much. clap.gifclap.gif

My previous post is just part of my contrary nature.I HATE to be told I can't do something, without a VERY good reason!

If the DOD is giving special access not available to the general public, that would constitute a good reason. At lease for me.

I want to help not hinder.......my questions are simply for GP. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Scott,

Again great job, and thanks for helping those who sacrifice so much. clap.gifclap.gif

My previous post is just part of my contrary nature.I HATE to be told I can't do something, without a VERY good reason!

If the DOD is giving special access not available to the general public, that would constitute a good reason. At lease for me.

I want to help not hinder.......my questions are simply for GP. :D

Sam
    Yup - we're on the same page. I assumed you weren't out to pick a fight but to doing exactly what you indicate above. So I, as is my custom, provided as complete an answer as I could - targeting not just you and your level of understanding of the situation but others who may not have.