Options

Helmet cameras..

Steve PickfordSteve Pickford Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited September 9, 2008 in Video
Hi,

Logged in a short whle ago & realised it's been nearly three years since doing. :cry

Hoping someone can give me a few pointers re: helmet cams, specifically the Oregon Scientific products. I see a few variations of what seems to the same basic model but am struggling to understand the differences between them? The ones I've seen are:

ATC2K
ATC3K
AT18
ATC2000
All Terrain Action Camera

I'm just looking for a reasonable camera that offers a degree of shockproof, waterproof & a decent video image. On Amazon, they are all similarly priced, just looking to buy the most suitable camera that gives good results.

The camera will be primarily used for enduro riding & the occassional skiing trip. I have a habit of crashing, toughness is appreciated. Pics from previous ski sessions:

247827615_5TyZa-S.jpg

3538085_KcGbG-S.jpg

Thanks in advance. :thumb

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I haven't used them personally but I have seen the ATC-2000 in action.

In general, they're all similar and the difference is the frame rate, quality, size, etc. And for those prices, don't expect any magnificent results and you use it because you're not afraid to break it.

As for "shockproof, waterproof & a decent" -- it really depends on your definition.

I saw it mounted on a helmet worn by a "B" level goalie and it survived a few games, but he knows that it won't take too many direct hits or a hard slapshot, but when I saw it, it did last a few games. He stopped using it after a few games since the footage was useless to him since it was taken from the side of the helmet. He basically treated it as a toy.

The real deals are the ones that are mounted between the eyes and wireless sent to something else.
  • Options
    f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Do a search on DGrin companion site, www.advrider.com, for the adventurous motorcyclist. You should get lots of results on helmet cams, if you haven't already found ADVrider.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thanks for the info, will probably go for the ATC2K rather than the ATC2000 as it's described as being waterproof to 10ft rather than splashproof.

Already checked Advrider, been on that site for a few years under the name of Possu.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    Since you crash a lot, you might consider the POV.1. Seems like a pretty reasonable system. I may get one for the motorcycle.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I have the ATC2K and it is indeed waterproof. As far as shockproof though - it doesn't break or anything with shocks however there is always a footage jump when a big bump comes. I only use it for specialty shots to cut into longer programs, so not a big deal to me.

It seems really tough though, not sure how many crashes it would handle - how many crashes can anything that is PVC plastic take? I am not sure but I also think it doesn't take SDHC cards - so 2GB max on the footage.

Hope some of that helps you. When I was looking up the info I found a few clips on youtube and i beleive a test by cnet in canada or the uk. It's been a while and i don't remember, but put 'ATC2K review' in google and you should find some clips that can help you out in your decision.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    Thanks for the info, have ordered an ATC2K, should be here in a week or so.

Got a few offroad events planned for the next month or so, will post up footage if it's any good.

Thanks for the help. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 31, 2008
    Let us know how it works out for you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Just to back up your choice..... A friend and I have done several things with these models. Been taped to a shotgun for goose and crow hunting, mounted to demolition derby cars, mounted on a FMX bike (he just forgot to turn it on Damnit), kids taking it under water in a pool, and mounted on the front bumper of a SUV. Hold up great so far!!! Just like a Timex!!

Jason
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"