Options

Pinnacle Studio Version?

JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
edited September 28, 2008 in Video
I am hoping for some help. I recently purchased a digital video camera and am now looking to purchase some video editing software. I have heard good things about Pinnacle Studio (and it is fairly reasonable), however, I am not sure what version I would want. Apparently 12 is the latest version (so I assume I want it), but they have a regular, plus, and ultimate versions on top of the number. Does the regular one do basically what the average guy wanting to edit home movies would want?

Any advice much appreciated.
Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    I have used Pinnacle Studio v 9 for years and am a big fan, but since moving to the Mac haven't used it too much. I recommend it, primarily due to its ability to capture a low res version of your video, allowing you to edit this. When you are done, it will then go download the full res video segements and do the render. That was super important years ago when the PC was not as powerful.

Anyway, I checked and there isnt much difference I can see. About the only significant thing is AVCHD native editing and recording, important if you have a newer HD digital video cam.

Check this link, and look to the right, near the top, and click "compare":

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Studio.html
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    Thanks. I went with the regular version, looking forward to giving it a shot.
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    edited September 4, 2008
    I moved this to our "Video" and "Action" forum where I think you will find a more appropriate audience.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    swtransswtrans Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2008
    Always buy the latest version ... I'd look at Ulead's VideoStudio, very intuitive program. I've been a long time Pinnacle owner also.

I use VideoStudio for everything these days.
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    I wanted to follow up and let everyone know I am happy with my purchase. Very intuitive software. I made my first "video" in about 30 minutes with multiple cuts, background music, title page, and editing the audio (lowering places with stupid background noises). Very cool. Exactly what I was looking for.

• Options
    leelgleelg Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2008
    Pinnacle Pro-12 Ultimate vs. Premier Pro CS3
    I recently upgraded to Pinnacle Studio-12 Ultimate and I love it for basic video work. I do everything in HD it is does a fantastic job and it is very stable. Overall the user interface is extremely simple although there are a few non-so-intuitive behaviors.

I am also learning Adobe Premire Pro CS3 which is a far more powerful program but also much more complicted to learn. Also, for simple projects, the performance of Pinnacle Studio with HD projects is much better than P Pro CS3.

If you are not making feature length movies and need all kinds of fancy time code features and integrations with other Adobe applications, Pinnacle Pro is a extremely good option. The price difference also makes Pinnacle Pro atractive.

Lee

JimM wrote:
    I am hoping for some help. I recently purchased a digital video camera and am now looking to purchase some video editing software. I have heard good things about Pinnacle Studio (and it is fairly reasonable), however, I am not sure what version I would want. Apparently 12 is the latest version (so I assume I want it), but they have a regular, plus, and ultimate versions on top of the number. Does the regular one do basically what the average guy wanting to edit home movies would want?

Any advice much appreciated.