Options

Stop motion / time lapse - D80 or MiniDV?

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited October 27, 2008 in Video
Hey everyone,

I was thinking of playing a little with stopmotion / time lapse photo movies and was wondering what you'd recommend?
Using my Nikon D80 (either tethered to mac using istopmotion) or MiniDV (again tethered)

Or would you suggest something else - such as Nikon D80 with camera control (or a remote etc.) and then edit in imovie?

I'm obviously assuming that I'll get better image quality from the Nikon D80 but once it's all compressed etc. depends if it's worth it

Thanks for all tips/tricks/info

cheers, Jase

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    You will definately get better frames and end up with better end product using a stills camera instead of a video cameras. In fact, it is very difficult to get decent single frame shots for stop motion using any of the new video cameras. I've tried with a few, but the don't do single-frame very well.

I do mine with still camera and remote shutter release, then edit in FCP (but iMovie would be fine too).

Hope this helps.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    You will definately get better frames and end up with better end product using a stills camera instead of a video cameras. In fact, it is very difficult to get decent single frame shots for stop motion using any of the new video cameras. I've tried with a few, but the don't do single-frame very well.

I do mine with still camera and remote shutter release, then edit in FCP (but iMovie would be fine too).

Thanks for the info - just have to work out the best method to control the camera to take the time lapse shots as it's not built into the Nikon D80.

Cheers, Jason
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,815 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Thanks for the info - just have to work out the best method to control the camera to take the time lapse shots as it's not built into the Nikon D80.

Cheers, Jason

Apparently ToneUp S3 is a USB control software ($20) that is compatible with the Nikon D80 and allows USB tethered timelapse control (under Windows).

See this page, and then click on the "Time Lapse Photography" in the left column:

http://www.oxfordeye.co.uk/ToneUp/manual/index.html

Apparetly the author is also working on a more specific product, "Timelord" that might be even more appropriate for your needs, when it comes out.

If you want a dedicated, discrete product for controlling the D80, there is the "Pclix" ($140):

http://www.pclix.com/pages/pclix_main.html

Note that the D80 also requires a "C-80" cable to attach the Pclix ($30).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 25, 2008
    For the cost of some of these software or add-ons, you can buy an old D2H. Gorgeous frames, and it has sequence shooting built in (and the battery would last forever).

But I came in here hoping to see some good results, in terms of single frames, from the newer mini HD video cameras. I'm interested in a new toy myself ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 25, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    For the cost of some of these software or add-ons, you can buy an old D2H.

Seriously? I saw one of ebay.ch and they want like 3,000 for it (chf /dollars/aud - all +/- 10%)

Crazy eek7.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 25, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Seriously? I saw one of ebay.ch and they want like 3,000 for it (chf /dollars/aud - all +/- 10%)

Crazy eek7.gif
    That's absurd, are you sure those are D2's?? $600usd, without trying too hard. You could pay for a return flight AND a used d2h for $3000usd!!

anyway, back to your topic :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 25, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    That's absurd, are you sure those are D2's?? $600usd, without trying too hard. You could pay for a return flight AND a used d2h for $3000usd!!

anyway, back to your topic :D

Yeah 3,000 for a D2h - ok does include a 17-35mm f2.8 lens too - big deal for 3000 rolleyes1.gif

I'm thinking software sounds a little on the expensive side - probably look at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ch/Aputure-Timer-Shutter-Release-N2-for-Nikon-D70S-D80-R8D_W0QQitemZ140277375159QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140277375159&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177
  • Options
    f-riderf-rider Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Phottix TR-80 Remote Switch
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hey everyone,

I was thinking of playing a little with stopmotion / time lapse photo movies and was wondering what you'd recommend?
    Using my Nikon D80 (either tethered to mac using istopmotion) or MiniDV (again tethered)

Or would you suggest something else - such as Nikon D80 with camera control (or a remote etc.) and then edit in imovie?

I'm obviously assuming that I'll get better image quality from the Nikon D80 but once it's all compressed etc. depends if it's worth it

Thanks for all tips/tricks/info

cheers, Jase
    Jason:
    I have a D80 and got one of these from Ebay, Hong Kong dealer: Phottix TR-80 Remote Switch, $52, which plugs into the D80 remote recepticle. I have only gotten as far as a simple test to see if it works, but have not done any time lapse stuff yet.... just too busy. But this should act as a reminder :D.

It is a pretty simple operation, however. Set the timer for when to fire, interval, and number of shots. I'll have to get going on this and post a sequence. There are some pretty cool time lapse sequences here: http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=7

--Doug
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    f-rider wrote:
    Jason:
    I have a D80 and got one of these from Ebay, Hong Kong dealer: Phottix TR-80 Remote Switch, $52, which plugs into the D80 remote recepticle. I have only gotten as far as a simple test to see if it works, but have not done any time lapse stuff yet.... just too busy. But this should act as a reminder :D.

It is a pretty simple operation, however. Set the timer for when to fire, interval, and number of shots. I'll have to get going on this and post a sequence. There are some pretty cool time lapse sequences here: http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=7

--Doug

Hey Doug - cool - let me know if you do some more with it - it's a reasonably affordable gadget.
    The other thing I was thinking of is the battery grip with the LCD and the same features as that remote - could also be interesting as I have long fingers and a big hand and find i'd like the comfort of a battery grip

Cheers, Jase