Options

Anyone gearing up for video on the 5D MKII?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited December 17, 2008 in Video
I've been prepping for The Big Day when it arrives and I actually broke down and bought a, choke, gasp, 200mm f/2 IS lens.

My understanding is the 5D doesn't autofocus well or at all when zooming?

What kind of mic are people thinking about? I've been thinking about

41UPJh8YixL._SS500_.jpg

but I'm hoping the shock mounting isn't too floppy.

I'm actually leaning towards:

31X73FA2N5L._SS400_.jpg

Youz?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    I was thinking that we should commission Really Right Stuff to make an L-plate WITH a mic bracket/holder/thingie.

I'm already giving RRS first hand info & pics so they can make a bracket that fits.

Would this be something useful?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,816 moderator
    edited November 25, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm actually leaning towards:

31X73FA2N5L._SS400_.jpg

Youz?

I've been using that Sennheiser short shotgun for years.

A true super-cardioid design with very good side rejection and excellent rear/back rejection.

Sound quality is very natural and the mike resists over-driving in loud environments.

The connector is just 2 wire but still has decent electrical noise shielding. It is a fairly short cord so if you need to extend, use only premium cords.

The mount is fairly solid, but I would not trust overly stressing it. The mount will transmit sound from the host mount so you should take some precautions to avoid clicking sounds especially. (Rings, bracelets, loose cords etc.) Suspension systems like on the Rode shown may not work well outdoors and wind "strumming" can be a problem.

The built-in foam wind sock is effective up to intermediate winds and there is a "shaggy" over-sock you can purchase that should work well even in high winds.

Mounting position becomes important with wide-angle lenses. Even though this is a "short" shotgun, it still protrudes a fair bit. Not a bad thing for longer lenses however.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I was thinking that we should commission Really Right Stuff to make an L-plate WITH a mic bracket/holder/thingie.

I'm already giving RRS first hand info & pics so they can make a bracket that fits.

I can tell you after I try this one in the hot shoe.

Sam and I got out the video tripod today because the question is, which tripod do you use with this camera? You need a fluid head for video which video tripods have and do you really want to carry two tripods?

Anyway, we couldn't believe how sturdy it is. I dunno why I didn't try it for the big SF pano with the 600mm in the wind, I guess because I just defaulted to still camera, still tripod.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:

If they don't come up with something that you want, or if you want something quicker, I know a machinist who lives in the bay area.

I've helped him with sports photos and has offered to make me anything that I want.

The bonus. He doesn't work far from smuggy HQ. Let me know... He can make anything. I let him borrow my tripod once, and he ended up making his own plate.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I've been using that Sennheiser short shotgun for years.
    Man, you are a fount of knowledge. Your posts are a pleasure. I just bought one based on your recommendation. :D
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I've been using that Sennheiser short shotgun for years

What's the model number? I've been looking for one of these for a while...
    Chris
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    i have a hard enough time with still photography, but yes i plan on 12 minute clips of rivers, suncrests, sunsets....etc etc

nothing that requires anything more than a better tripod and chair

i doubt i will venture into "movie making"
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Man, you are a fount of knowledge. Your posts are a pleasure. I just bought one based on your recommendation. :D

It would be worth getting a small mixer and machining that onto your uber custom sound rig. There's nothing worse then not being able to monitor your sound levels and then getting that sinking feeling when back in the edit suite and you have no usable sound.

This is what I'm thinking of but it's a bit big (they are made to be worn in a belt pack)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/329015-REG/Azden_FMX_20_FMX_20_Microphone_Field_Mixer.html

this one is smaller but doesn't have level lights.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292989-REG/Sound_Devices_MM1_MM_1_Single_Channel.html#specifications

I hope that someone sees there is a market for something small and hotshoe mountable for the new video dslr's
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,816 moderator
    edited November 26, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    What's the model number? I've been looking for one of these for a while...

It's the model Sennheiser MKE 300 Microphone. I notice that B&H says that it is no longer in production. Amazon still shows them as in stock.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Amazon still shows them as in stock.
    Cool. Thanks, Ziggy! I added it to my wishlist...
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2008
    Here's a little inspiration to get the blood going, from Vincent Laforet:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDA0ODA2MjA3Jms9VkZ5bnAmYT02Mzk3MjU5X1FjZmFRJnU9dmluY2VudGxhZm9yZXQ=" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDA0ODA2MjA3Jms9VkZ5bnAmYT02Mzk3MjU5X1FjZmFRJnU9dmluY2VudGxhZm9yZXQ=" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Now that cameras do video and stills, it's hard to know where to post anymore. But in case you didn't catch it in the cameras forum, here's a link to my first video with the 5D:

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/6677452_e9rL5#427227023_AsXNo
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I saw vincent posted this sexy little mixer on his blog.

http://www.beachtek.com/dxa2s.html
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    What is the best way to downsample before uploading to Smugmug? Simply converting from 1920 to 1280? What bitrate?
  • Options
    QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    great video
    Baldy wrote:
    Now that cameras do video and stills, it's hard to know where to post anymore. But in case you didn't catch it in the cameras forum, here's a link to my first video with the 5D:

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/6677452_e9rL5#427227023_AsXNo

Hi! Great job on your video!

What lenses did you use? Did you do any color correction?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Quitarita wrote:
    Hi! Great job on your video!

What lenses did you use? Did you do any color correction?

Thanks!
    I used the 85mm f/1.2 and 200mm f/2 for all but one shot. No color correction. AWB.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I used the 85mm f/1.2 and 200mm f/2 for all but one shot. No color correction. AWB.

Wow! Really awesome! :)

My husband surprised me and managed to get me the Mark2. I've just started playing with it but not getting as nearly as good results. Need to get a tripod for sure. But I'm having trouble focusing. Any advice?
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Quitarita wrote:
    Wow! Really awesome! :)

My husband surprised me and managed to get me the Mark2. I've just started playing with it but not getting as nearly as good results. Need to get a tripod for sure. But I'm having trouble focusing. Any advice?

What focus mode is your live view set to, quick? live? live w/ face?
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    What focus mode is your live view set to, quick? live? live w/ face?

hi,

I was using live w/face but recently switched to quick. It seems to be working better.

What do you use?