Russian Orthodox Church interiors in B&W

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited November 22, 2017 in Other Cool Shots

The following are captures from the interiors of the widely known Orthodox Churches St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow and Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg which I took a while ago.

I found them to be suitable for B&W and played a little with the conversion. As always, I'm here to learn, so feedback & criticism is appreciated.

1 St. Basil's Cathedral on Red Square in Moscow

2 Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in Saint Petersburg

3 Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in Saint Petersburg

I wish I could have cropped out the chandelier on the top left corner, but that would have ruined the composition I think.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Very nice set. I like the post processing you applied on all. On 1, I usually approach this kind of pic by shooting directly below the dome, but I find this very pleasantly framed by the columns on the top. 2 is my favorite, it has a very interesting depth that makes you look twice. Well done.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Very nice set. I like the post processing you applied on all. On 1, I usually approach this kind of pic by shooting directly below the dome, but I find this very pleasantly framed by the columns on the top. 2 is my favorite, it has a very interesting depth that makes you look twice. Well done.

Thank you! For the perspective of no. 1, I indeed also did a shot from directly below. Alas, there was a massive chandelier hanging from above (you can see its chain in the above pic), which took a big part of the frame. I guess the Russian do like chandeliers in their churches.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice! Busy, and b&w, yet still nice!

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Thank you. Yes, the Orthodox Churches in Russia tend to be very decorative and busy on the walls and ceilings, with lots of paintings and a literal color overflow. I spare you the colored versions :)