Options

camera for landscape

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

I have done portraits and weddings until now, but am interested in getting into landscapes.

I have been hiking some pretty rugged mountains near me (Organs, near Las Cruces, NM) and don't think I can lug a DSLR with me. I am thinking of getting something like this Canon - PowerShot G7 X Mark II

I am drawn to it because it is compact, a Canon, and shoots RAW.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins

Man, that sounds like a great little camera! A quick look at some reviews seems to show the few complaints people have about it wouldn't apply for landscape shooting (nitpicks about AF speed, burst shooting, face detection, etc...).

I will say that I recently purchased a Fuji X-E3 with 18-55 lens and I'm over the moon with it. While it's bigger than the Canon it is smaller and likely under half the weight of a DSLR with comparable lens. For a strictly landscape setup, the X-E3 is also available as a kit with a 23 f/2 that is supposed to be fantastic. With my old Nikon DSLR (D90) I shot RAW 100% of the time. With the E3 I'm blown away by the out-of-camera JPEGs. For color landscapes, flip over to Velvia film simulation. For black & white the Acros simulation if frickin' amazing. I can't say enough wonderful things about this camera.

All that said, I doubt you're going to find a bad camera from any of the big names these days.

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 16, 2019

I have a Sony RX100 V which appears to be very similar to the Canon you mentioned. While I have backpacked with it, I find the fixed-lens which only shoot to 24mm focal length or longer to be too limiting for me. Instead, I did something similar to what Cletus did but went with the Sony A6500. I also sprang for the Sony 10-18 f/4 which is perfect for the kind of super-wide landscapes I like. That body/lens combination is so light and small that I'll usually bring a mid-range zoom as well. Note that these mirrorless bodies plus a couple of lenses requires a more substantial investment than a P&S camera. However, my rationale is that if you're going to work so hard to get to amazing locations then you ought to have proper equipment to get the shot. Don't forget the lightweight tripod too, but that's another discussion.