Frames tutorial

RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Finishing School
I've had several requests for instructions on making the frames I add to my images. I know there are quite a few Frames tut's already out there, but here's one more :D

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Tutorial can be found here - http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1202920

Regards,

Comments

• mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    cool tutorial but I think you've missed a step. Where you increase the second border downwards you haven't followed through with the sides.
    May I take your picture?
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    funny i just copied it and was going to give it a try if i can make it work then anybody can --everytime i open ps the screen does thisrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif and i doheadscratch.gifeek7.gifne_nau.gif :cry then 1drink.gif close ps and :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    funny i just copied it and was going to give it a try if i can make it work then anybody can --everytime i open ps the screen does thisrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif and i doheadscratch.gifeek7.gifne_nau.gif :cry then 1drink.gif close ps and :D

tis easy to get around.
    when you do the second canvas instead of 10 percent do 5 percent with the arrow in the same spot. then repeat the canvas size adjustment and do another 5 percent but from the centre. clear as mud ??
    May I take your picture?
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2006
    mushy wrote:
    cool tutorial but I think you've missed a step. Where you increase the second border downwards you haven't followed through with the sides.

Thanks for noting my mistake Mushy. I added the missing step. Does this make more sense now?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 14, 2006
    Steve

thanks for posting this-

george
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 15, 2006
    like the frame-

thanks much
    george56485087-L.jpg
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    thumb.gif Excellent photo. Glad you were able to use the tut.
  • jajjajjajjaj Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2007
    jajjaj
    A very nice procedure, logical, extendable, goal-oriented, I'm going to exploit it, thank you.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    a couple of years behind here, but...
    i wanted to thank you for the tutorial....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Why didn't I see this last week?? D'oh! :P It took me a day to get the hang of it, then another 4 hrs to figure out watermarking.

Good work, tho.. I kind of beats a vieo so you don't have to rewind if you missed something.

I used this one..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vinaST1A08g
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    How do you fill a layer with colour ?
    Hello Steve
    Thank you for posting this tutorial - I am an absolute beginner with Photoshop and hit a snag when you say - "Fill this layer with black - or whatever color you choose"
    I know this is basic but I cannot see how to fill the layer with colour.
    Could somebody please let me know.
    Thanks
    LesleyAnn
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    pick a forground color of black and use the paint bucket tool and click on the canvas with it. This should fill your layer with black!
  • jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    frame
    I tried the tut. Its pretty good. The only thing I notice for me is I tend to print a lot of 4x6's. So when I apply the frame my photo looses the 4x6 perspective. which throws the whole border out of whack when I resize it. I have played around with it but can't figure out how to get around this. Can you help with this. Thanx Joe

Rohirrim wrote:
    I've had several requests for instructions on making the frames I add to my images. I know there are quite a few Frames tut's already out there, but here's one more :D

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Tutorial can be found here - http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1202920

Regards,
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    The issue with this frame format is the step where you add the text box at the bottom. As soon as you increase the frame size on only the bottom by 10%, you are no longer the original aspect ratio as the original photo (4x6).

Although it is possible to produce a frame with a larger bottom area for text and a uniform (or relatively uniform) border around the 3 remaining edges of the picture, the picture itself will not be a 4x6 aspect ratio.

So if it is your desire to be able to have a format like this, I would suggest creating a master template, where the overall size is 4x6 ratio, and you have a layer that uses a layer mask (reveal selection) to create the image "window" to the proportions that you want. You can give this layer mask various formatting such as drop shadowing, etc. A text layer is used for the bottom of the template.

I assume you are using Photoshop :D . I don't know how proficient you are, so for now, I'll just describe the overall process. If you need something a bit more detailed, I can create a tut at a later time.

To use the open template, you would:

1. open an image,
    2. Ctrl-A to select All, Ctrl-C to copy, change back to the template,
    3. Ctrl click on the layer mask (creates the moving ants),
    4. Edit->Paste Into (Ctrl-Shift-V).

The image can now be moved and resized to taste inside the layer mask (knowing that you will have a bit of cropping to the original picture due to the different aspect ratio)

If you have a text layer, change the text layer to your new title and you're done.

I have used this basic concept to create several templates that I use for portraits, weddings, etc. You do the work once, and then re-use the template over and over again, only changing the images.

And FWIW, printing bordered photos can be quite frustrating. Current printing technology can't always ensure the perfect alignment of the photopaper, resulting in cropped edges, etc. I have found that some labs are better than others and for important photos, I have insisted on a reprint (although they aren't always happy to do this). You can have the same issue with a consumer inkjet printer that you use in your home.

Let me know if you need a more detailed example and I'd be happy to set it up.