Question by PM - Re Canon Camera Raw

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 5, 2006 in Cameras
ButterNutz wrote:
Hi the my name is Barry and i am relative new to this site, but i love what you have going on here and try to learn what i can to help my photography skills.

I shoot with the Canon 20D and just started to shoot RAW...However when i plug my camera into my computer it says there are no pics on my camera??

How do i get my RAW images onto my cpu?
Thanks For The Help
Butternutz

I'm sure the forum can help out here - I can't answer questions by PM. I'd answer for you now, but I'm on a spotty wireless connection while on a short holiday :D

Anyone?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 5, 2006
    Turn off the 20D. Unplug it from your computer if you plugged it in.

Remove the CF chip from the camera, and plug it into a Compact Flash card reader plugged into the computer. Use a USB 2.0 card reader for faster reading.

Voila!! - read the files on the CF chip and drag them into a folder on your hard drive AFTER you have copied them onto a CDR or DVD. Enjoy.

After you have TWO (2) copies of the images on the card, put it back into the 20D and FORMAT the card in the 20D for reuse. Do not format plugged into the computer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Ya know, I had that problem as well. I solved it by using my card reader. I'm sure there's a way to get them to show up though with just the camera connected.

Its possible that the camera is just making the files "hidden" - might be able to fix it in folder properties. I'll break mine out and give it a go.

edit: I failed at my attempts and I don't have my manual handy.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    Ya know, I had that problem as well. I solved it by using my card reader. I'm sure there's a way to get them to show up though with just the camera connected.

Its possible that the camera is just making the files "hidden" - might be able to fix it in folder properties. I'll break mine out and give it a go.

edit: I failed at my attempts and I don't have my manual handy.

Install the Canon EOS Utility. It will transfer files off your camera