What camera do I use?

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 19, 2006 in Cameras
Question by Private Message.
pm wrote:
Hey Andy….you’ve helped me with some Smugmug support stuff before. But I was wondering if you share what cameras you use. I am just starting to get serious and purchased a Panasonic Lumix Fz20, kind of a beginner camera I guess for someone who wants more than snapshots. I will upgrade cameras eventually but I have a lot to learn about what’s out there as well as techniques.

But for right now I’m curious what cameras you prefer. I won’t ask you to go into the various lenses you use. I’ll learn about lenses along the way, I’m sure, as I research various photographers and their techniques.

I have sent a link to your photography website to a substantial number of people because I am so moved by your photographs.

Thanks for your time.

First of all, many thanks for the very kind words. You made my day!

I'm answering here, because it's a great topic that comes up often. You'll hear many folks say, "it's not the camera, it's the photograper..." and things like that. Well, it's true! I use and have used, many cameras. I'm strictly digital now, but I have used Rollei TLRs, Medium Format film, rangefinders, 35mm manual cameras (like the old Pentax K-1000) as well as numerous digital cameras.

You picked a fine camera to start with! Get to know it, and it's strengths and weaknesses. Try many different types of photography - and learn what YOU like, and don't like. Keep track of what's important to you (wildlife? portraits? landscapes? action? macros?....). Note where your current camera fails and then you'll have items for your next "shopping list."

Become proficient in shooting manual exposure, aperture prioirty, shutter priority, learn exposure compensation, good panning techniques, learn handholding still.

Get creative, see what sort of photograph you can make with a single sheet of paper and a desk lamp.

And then, after doing all this (and more, suggested by our forum members), let's see where you are!

Oh to answer your question, I shoot mostly with a Canon 5D, and a variety of Canon glass.