Winners Of Mini Challenge #1

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
First off, I'd like to say thank you to everybody that entered or made a comment on some of the shots.

My first run through the shots, I had 12 finalists, from there I got it down to the 5 in this thread.

Getting right into it, here are my favorites.

HM goes to: BPerron
Although I'm not really sure if the gosling is flying, I'm sure in it's head it thinks it is.:D

AttemptingtoFly.jpg

3rd Runner up: saurora
You were able to get a very good exposure on this shot. The light silhouetting the fish in the bill is great.

158719531_NgiV4-L-1.jpg

2nd Runner up: WildWally
This is a stunning photo. The exposure is perfect, there's action and great colors. I may have cropped it a little differently, removing some of the tree branches, but that's about it.

269580466_owarh-XL.jpg

1st Runner up: vandana
Tack sharp, perfect exposure, great color and contrast makes this a very good shot.

242706192_RPDnM-XL.jpg

And the Winner is: jwear.
This is just one of those shots that make you say WOW.
Although I think that some of the runner up shots were exposed slightly better, the action and the nature story of survival wins out. (at least for me)
The sharp eye, on the bird and fish, the water flying about, the talons grabbing hold makes this shot my winner.

209905259_Vwvot-X3.jpg

The brass ring has now been handed off to you Jwear.
It is now your Mini Challenge.
Pick a topic and make the rules that you'd like us to live by.

Thanks again to everyone that participated in the first of hopefully many Mini Challenges.

Later.
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Congrats to jwear !!! Such an awesome capture of a beautiful bird with his lunch !!! (or lunch for the boss/wife/ Laughing.gif)
    And a thank you to davev (Dave) for hosting this mini-challenge . I am very humbled to be included in the top 5 , as their were some very stunning shots .
    Looking forward to the next mini-challenge to view more of everyones great photos !!!!
    Well done all !!!clap.gifthumb.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    congrats to the top 5 winners.
    Awesome shots.

Peace, gail.

It was fun viewing others shots as well and being in the challenge.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Congratulations to all the winners. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

With so many awesome shots submitted it could not have
    been easy to narrow down the field. :D
    Michael
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Wow, I am totally stunned to be amongst the top 5!!! wings.gif Thanks Dave for the comments and for starting this contest! Congrats to jwear, truly an awesome bird photographer and this shot is killer. The combination of sharpness and action, especially the water flying, really make this shot for me. BPerron's gosling is absolutely a wonderful catch! WildWally's blue heron was one of my favorites. It reminds me of an oriental painting. And Vandana's goose is so sharp it looks like it's coming straight out of my monitor! Lots of great shots everyone! thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    All of these were great shots! This is a cool idea for a contest and a great way to learn and enjoy others' work. Thanks to everyone. Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    WOW thanks Dave :D I will pm you about the challenge
    A few comments
    BPerron well I think this shot is a bif headscratch.gif but B bird I is F falling :D very cute shot
    Saurora this is a great shot [loved it this first time I saw it] great capture and shows the art of a back lit shot thumb.gifthumb.gif and thanks for the kind words
    Wildwally very nice GBH clap.gif
    vandana
    this is about as good as it gets exposure and detail bowdown.gif
    I have no comment about that Jeff guy rolleyes1.gif but he was lucky :ivar

special mention Aaron 's hawk sherstone eagle and the crow this was a great capture Richards eagle bowdown.gifthumb.gif chrisj good exposure on the tv [not easy] rkneckt your eagle shots thumb.gif 1st one was clap.gif it does have the wow factor and curios yor owl was real nice
    thanks again, my first win at dgrin.Now I have to think of something ne_nau.gif oh boy
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Congrats to all especially the winner! I love how it's sharp where it matters but the wing is blurred. clap.gif

I wanted to enter my favorite, but it's an Ostrich from Africa and they don't fly. Many of the birds I saw over there weren't flying. LoL!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    wow, this is great !! Thank you ! Bifs are what I love to do :D thanks for the topic and contest Davev.

those were some awesome shots from everybody ; loved seeing all of them.
    jwear - congrats !! what a cool action-packed shot :D, love that water splashing all over. Did you expect the action and were ready or ..?! just curious..how does one get that kind of a shot ?!

My snow goose shot was taken at Bosque Del apache NWR in New Mexico last season. the migration season runs from Nov-Feb each year. Great place to take bifs and more. Do visit if you all get a chance !

thanks all
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    awesome stuff from everyone. The top are all fantastic shots with the winning shot having that extra WOW factor.

okay jwear- all eyes and ears on you. mwink.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    davev wrote:
    HM goes to: BPerron
    Although I'm not really sure if the gosling is flying, I'm sure in it's head it thinks it is.:D

AttemptingtoFly.jpg

Wow, I made HM...That is amazing considering the photos that were submitted. I do agree that he is not flying, but he sure was trying to fly from that curb, his tiny undeveloped wings were flailing trying as hard as he could.

Anyways, thanks again Dave for the suggestion and taking the time to do a mini challenge.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    Congrats to Jeff for a fantastic shot. bowdown.gifbow

Cheers,
  • JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Very Cool Shots!!
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    These are all amazing shots. The wow factor grew as I scrolled through each image. You five are all great! bowdown.gif Way to go! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Good job!

Excellent photos clap.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • WomanWithACameraWomanWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Congrats!
    Congrats to all the winners. They were all great photos!
    Have a great day!

Anna
    :D A Smile A Day...Keeps The Uglies Away. :D

http://annasphotos.smugmug.com