Options

im starting to get a buzzz

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited May 3, 2005 in Holy Macro
i have to start small. im deathly afraid of bees!!! so the fact that i even dared to get close enough to this "buzzer" was an accomplishment. im saving "flying buzzers" for another day......

16_7_200.gif16_7_200.gif troy

20526960-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    J: Nice focus and exposure. Good colors.

H: It's gonna be a while yet before we start seeing bees around here. :(:

J: I wouldn't worry too much about them. As long as you aren't near their nest, the little critters should leave you completely alone.

H: The only time I've ticked off feeding bees is when they've flown into my white flash diffuser (they can't "see" the featureless thing). Even then, they've just flown away.

J: I've never been stung while taking macros out in the gardens. Which is a good thing, since I was deathly allergic to hornets/wasps. One sting would send me to the hospital ER, and lay me up for the better part of a week.

H: However I just completed a venom immunotherapy program, so I should be pretty much desensitized now (venom shots every month for five years - ouch!).

J: It's been worth it though. Now I can head right into the thick of 'em and shoot with impunity. :D

J&H

33134473.jpg
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    Bee-utiful. If that's just starting small, you're already beyond where many of us are on these buggers. thumb.gif

windoze wrote:
    i have to start small. im deathly afraid of bees!!! so the fact that i even dared to get close enough to this "buzzer" was an accomplishment. im saving "flying buzzers" for another day......

16_7_200.gif16_7_200.gif troy
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    whoah - those are some eyes!!! and thanx for the encouragenment!!!

troy
    J: Nice focus and exposure. Good colors.

H: It's gonna be a while yet before we start seeing bees around here. :(:

J: I wouldn't worry too much about them. As long as you aren't near their nest, the little critters should leave you completely alone.

H: The only time I've ticked off feeding bees is when they've flown into my white flash diffuser (they can't "see" the featureless thing). Even then, they've just flown away.

J: I've never been stung while taking macros out in the gardens. Which is a good thing, since I was deathly allergic to hornets/wasps. One sting would send me to the hospital ER, and lay me up for the better part of a week.

H: However I just completed a venom immunotherapy program, so I should be pretty much desensitized now (venom shots every month for five years - ouch!).

J: It's been worth it though. Now I can head right into the thick of 'em and shoot with impunity. :D

J&H

• Options
    edited April 28, 2005
    J: Buzzers come in such great colors, don't they? Hope to see some of your "flying buzzers" soon!

H: That close up was of one of these:
    http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/image/32947690

Have fun.
    J&H
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Looking forward to more. I like the shine of the wings it almost makes them look plastic. Really great close up. I need to get out and find a few buzzers myself. The flying mosquitoes seem to find me first though and I am much more afraid of them.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited April 28, 2005
    Good work Troy ^5
    Nothing wrong with starting off slow. Especailly if we're talking stinging/biting insects or, god forbid, those HUGE spideys Skippy shoots :uhoh

I have to agree with J&H though, most of these guys don't want to tussle. So unless you really upset them, they will just ignore you. You can try a "close up" on a long zoom, which should give you more distance, but I don't think you'll get as good of results ne_nau.gif

Thanks for sharing and like the others, I can't wait to see some of your BIFs (Bees In Flight :D )

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    J (or H, either one) what glass did you use for that shot? It looks great - and huge!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    im not afraid, im petrified - no matter how much Steve and JH say its safe...

16_7_200.gif16_7_200.gif16_7_200.gif16_7_200.gif

16_7_200.gif4_6_100.gif16_7_200.gif

troy
    T4Tots wrote:
    Looking forward to more. I like the shine of the wings it almost makes them look plastic. Really great close up. I need to get out and find a few buzzers myself. The flying mosquitoes seem to find me first though and I am much more afraid of them.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    J (or H, either one) what glass did you use for that shot? It looks great - and huge!
    J: Thanks wx'

H: That was with my Sony F717 and reversed Canon 50mm f1.4 FD.

J: This combo gets me to about a 4:1 macro ratio (in 35mm terms). An object about 9mm in width will fill the frame.

H: It's definitely challenging, but the rewards can be so satisfying. I just love seeing how Mother Nature has put these little guys together.

J: Be sure to check out Skippy's work with the 100mm macro and extension tubes. It looks like the way to go with DSLRs.

H: I see Mark Plonsky has joined us also. He's the "King of Macro" to be sure. He has recently gone to a DSLR for his macros.
    J&H

ps. Troy, work in a little at a time (as Bill Murray put it, "take those baby steps"). Maybe just go sit down near some flowers without a camera and just observe. You'll start to get comfortable with them in no time.