*ENTRY* THREAD: DSS Round #16 (The Big Wide World of Dgrin)

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited January 12, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #16

Welcome to Round #16 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, December 29, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, January 12, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation:

The Big Wide World of Dgrin

"Huh? What kind of a theme is that?", I hear you ask. Well, it's a new year, so I figured we'd try something totally different for this round. It's all about learning, and there's a wealth of information and wonderful people in this community willing to provide it. So...for Round #16, there is no set subject, but there is a requirement:

You must post your image for critique in another forum on Dgrin (any other than Challenges) to receive input and critiques. Your final submitted image is to be posted in the challenge gallery along with a link to the thread you posted in the other area.

Ideas for this include: You certainly may post in multiple areas, and you certainly may post in the Challenges for C&C as well, but the latter cannot be your only post.

Got questions? Fire away in this thread. :D

Your Judges:
PaulThomasMcKee (Winner of DSS Round #14)
KevXman (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Man, you guys are getting really creative there =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Man, you guys are getting really creative there =c)

Hope that's a good thing. :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Kill Me Softly Now..Laughing.gif. I hardly evah post photos in the other forums...I think maybe I did once.

Yowza....

Hope everyone has a SAFE, HAPPY and PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR !!
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Well, since judging #15 meant I had to seek refuge in the people forum, I guess I'm already on track for this one.... rolleyes1.gif
  • dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Wow! This should be an interesting round. I cant wait to see the wide variety of shots. Good luck everyone. I just have one question: 1. How do we add the link to where our pic was posted for c&c?
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Hope that's a good thing. :D

This is wonderful! ... but I don't think I will adventure myself into this... headscratch.gif

However, this made me discover the assignments which is a very good think... thumb.gif

PS: I'd like to go to the Whipping post though, for learning purposes rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    photo-bug wrote:
    PS: I'd like to go to the Whipping post though, for learning purposes rolleyes1.gif

read the whipping post rules first.
    Aaron Nelson
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 29, 2008
    Wow! This should be an interesting round. I cant wait to see the wide variety of shots. Good luck everyone. I just have one question: 1. How do we add the link to where our pic was posted for c&c?
    yes good question. The album doesn't allow links? would it be copied and pasted into the title?
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    I probably won't enter, but I LOVE the idea of pushing ourselves through the gamit of these steps to get the best possible of what we can do. Right now, for me this is a bit less than others (hey, I'm getting there...!) but I DO need to push myself even with the bleak snow outside and totally uninspirational shots I find around here. I haven't dared the DSLR for skiing yet but this just might motivate me, if I can get a LowePro slingbag in time :D

I'm not sure what my ski partners will think as I wander off among the trees with skiis off, but heck, a few are photographers so they better get used to my execentricities ;) date or no date, this is who I am. rock on!

Solitude skiing on Saturday! I think I'll give it a good push then and see what I can get out there.

Awesome challenge. Anyone who things it's too vague is just not trying hard enough imho.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    //Leah
    edited December 29, 2008
    read the whipping post rules first.

I just did:
    Submitting a shot for critique: Post one shot to be seriously critiqued; one you believe represents your best work; one you're willing to stake your career on.

I see... this is only for professionals/career people not for amateurs.

Sorry... rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited December 29, 2008
    photo-bug wrote:
    I just did:

Sorry... rolleyes1.gif

no, its for everyone. i just wanted to make sure you know its for your best work only.
    they get a bit picky down there
    Aaron Nelson
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    no, its for everyone. i just wanted to make sure you know its for your best work only.
    they get a bit picky down there

Whoah Nelly!

The Whipping Post is for YOUR best work, whether Pro, Amateur or Novice. It is NOT exclusive. It's just meant for you to put up the shots that you really believe in, not the ones you know are not your best.

The Whipping Post would be a GREAT place to post for this round. And don't forget, you aren't limited to one forum to post in and get feedback!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    and dont go to the Whipping post, unless ofcourse its the best image you have ever done...

Seriously, Aaron. You're not helping.

A) It is not a requirement that it's your best work you have ever done.

B) The WP is a great place to get critique, learn about critique, and to dole some out yourself.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    photo-bug wrote:

Sorry... rolleyes1.gif

Hi Tatiana,

Anyone, no matter what their level, can post in the Whipping Post forum. The only criteria is that you believe your photo is one of your very best and is one you would show to the world as your best work.

So while the Whipping Post is there to help people improve, it may not be the best forum for most of us who know that we need to learn more and need a little bit (or a lot) of help and encouragement.

Oops. I stand corrected David. I stand by my advice though.

Good choices for most of us are the Technique and Finishing School forums for technical issues and. for specific themes, forums like People, Landscapes, Sports, Other Cool Shots etc.

Do give it a try. There are many kind and helpful people on all of these forums.

To make it easier for you, start checking a couple of theforums regularly to get a feel for the discussions and the personalities.

There are loads of fine people on dGrin who are very active but do not participate in the Challenges. Like you, these folks need advice and are willing to share their knowledge. You will be glad you took the trouble to get to know them.

Don't give up. Good luck.

Virginia

Email
    edited December 29, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Whoah Nelly!

The Whipping Post is for YOUR best work, whether Pro, Amateur or Novice. It is NOT exclusive. It's just meant for you to put up the shots that you really believe in, not the ones you know are not your best.

The Whipping Post would be a GREAT place to post for this round. And don't forget, you aren't limited to one forum to post in and get feedback!

that explanation is betterthumb.gif thanks for clearing that up!

i just wanted to warn people about the rules.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 29, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Seriously, Aaron. You're not helping.

A) It is not a requirement that it's your best work you have ever done.

B) The WP is a great place to get critique, learn about critique, and to dole some out yourself.

Agreed
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 29, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Hi Tatiana,

Anyone, no matter what their level, can post in the Whipping Post forum. The only criteria is that you believe your photo is one of your very best and is one you would show to the world as your best work.

So while the Whipping Post is there to help people improve, it may not be the best forum for most of us who know that we need to learn more and need a little bit (or a lot) of help and encouragement.

Oops. I stand corrected David. I stand by my advice though.

Good choices for most of us are the Technique and Finishing School forums for technical issues and. for specific themes, forums like People, Landscapes, Sports, Other Cool Shots etc.

Do give it a try. There are many kind and helpful people on all of these forums.

To make it easier for you, start checking a couple of theforums regularly to get a feel for the discussions and the personalities.

There are loads of fine people on dGrin who are very active but do not participate in the Challenges. Like you, these folks need advice and are willing to share their knowledge. You will be glad you took the trouble to get to know them.

Don't give up. Good luck.

Virginia

Thank you. I will. thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    For me a large part of these challenges is some drive to try something new. Something outside my normal comfort zone. I've gotten to the point where I'll try almost anything. Even stuff that I'm pretty sure won't work.

I happened to look out the window last night and thought this tree was lit in an interesting way by an upstairs bedroom light. I wanted a wider angle view of the tree but 50mm is the widest lens I had so I forged ahead with what I had. I setup my camera on a tripod and set the release timer. The first image was a grey mess. The tree needed more light for an effective image so I used a flash light to "paint" the branches of the tree I wanted to accentuate. Yes, a flashlight. This is the final image.

445075127_kdHEL-L.jpg

It was windy so some of the branches are fuzzy while the trunk is sharper. You can see star tracks in the background and they are blue rather than the expected white. I color balanced for the flashlight and bedroom light rather than the stars. All in all it is a looney picture, but I tried something new and I rather like this image.

I'm just bummed that images have to be fresh or I would have used the last image from this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=113998

Even though I'm a newbie amateur I'm jumping in with both feet and trying something new.

You should too.
    geoff
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Question: Are the moderators of the other forums aware of our posting shots for their advice/critique?

Thanks, gail

Oh and should we state upfront that it is for the entry of the challenges?
    edited December 30, 2008
    Question: Are the moderators of the other forums aware of our posting shots for their advice/critique?

Thanks, gail

hey Gail, the waters warm...really just jump in.... really!!!

anyway, if im wrong on this one someone shoot me!....really!

but to answer both your questions,:> "maybe" but i doubt it matters in either case
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 30, 2008
    hey Gail, the waters warm...really just jump in.... really!!!

anyway, if im wrong on this one someone shot me!....

but to answer both your questions,:> "maybe"

I don't have anything, don't know if I will, just wanted to be clear.

Thanks,g
    edited December 30, 2008
    I don't have anything, don't know if I will, just wanted to be clear.

Thanks,g

press that shutter button Gail!!! also, (i added more to my post above)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 30, 2008
    press that shutter button Gail!!! also, (i added more to my post above)

I'll give it my best, had surgery a month and can't walk yet so it's going to more challenging than the challenge. lol.

peace, gail
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008

Thanks, gail

It really shouldn't matter....

Surely if you post a thread titled.... "(insert title) for C&C for DSS challenge" I am sure you will get all kinds of great feedback to sift through.

No worries.....folks who do NOT frequent the "challenges" forum give and recieve great advice all the time.
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    It really shouldn't matter....

Surely if you post a thread titled.... "(insert title) for C&C for DSS challenge" I am sure you will get all kinds of great feedback to sift through.

No worries.....folks who do NOT frequent the "challenges" forum give and recieve great advice all the time.

Thanks Jeffreaux2
    edited December 30, 2008
    I'll give it my best, had surgery a month and can't walk yet so it's going to more challenging than the challenge. lol.

peace, gail

:oogle

yup.
    surgery tends to do that....

kinding aside, i hope you recovery 110%!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 30, 2008
    :oogle

yup.
    surgery tends to do that....

kinding aside, i hope you recovery 110%!

Thanks Aaron, I'm hoping so. I didn't want to do it but if I want to be able to walk I had to. Problem is I gotta do it again once this heals.

Oh well, it will be alright eventually.

Thanks much. gail
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 30, 2008

Thanks, gail

All of the forums on Dgrin welcome everyone's participation. If you look around, you will see that helpful advice is readily available in many places. No admission, no cover charge. :D
    edited December 30, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    All of the forums on Dgrin welcome everyone's participation. If you look around, you will see that helpful advice is readily available in many places. No admission, no cover charge. :D

Great.:D
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 31, 2008

Thanks, gail

Yes, nothing official, but yeah, we chat.

On this one, actually, NO is probably the right answer. If you post a thread in one of the other forums with a title like "DSS16" no one will have a clue. And you can state whatever you want in your post, its your thread. But if you saved your breath (rather fingers) by not explaining why you are posting, pretty sure no one would mind. Just go post a thread, with a real title, almost as if you were actually posting in that forum without us mommying you out the door!
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

This discussion has been closed.