Options

Empty Buildings, Rich Souls

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited December 30, 2008 in Journeys
Before I leave the east, I have of course discovered one of the many things that gives this area its distinctive flavor.

One of my good friends is a bit of a nomad, and he is dedicated to immersing himself in the culture and the history of the coal country that makes up part of what is known as the Rust Belt. Following his lead, one weekend in the cold autumn air we drove deep into the heart of it to see what we could find.

I was not quite expecting to enjoy myself quite so much, even though it took a while. Though coal country is not new to me, I didn't think that a hundred miles would be very different. But it was. The things that I found there were different from the clinically pristine metamorphosis of Bethlehem city. Here the grunge and the hopelessness was a little bit more real. No promise of big glitzy business, just generations upon generations of coal workers following the work that they've always known, devoutly trying to ignore the fact that the world (and the environment) is changing.

Our first stop was an oldie but goodie, late in the evening. An hour from our crash spot and in a tiny little string of houses that counts as a town, the light on this coal breaker is deceptively dim.

441911187_aDStq-L.jpg

I remember walking through the ground floor to get to the rear of the building. Although there was starlight and one lone street lamp, the only other light that helped me was the reflection of the town lights on the thin cloud cover. Why did the photographer cross the property? Because she was nuts, terrified, and her heart was in her mouth.

The very best part of these coal towns is that some things just don't change. We had a greasy breakfast the following morning, eating absolutely nothing that would be considered acceptable in our daily menu.

441917107_N3m9q-L.jpg

441917293_hZEKF-L.jpg

In the afternoon, we opted to work it off taking a few shots. I've been here a few times before but some things just don't get old.

441910906_YSLKZ-L.jpg

437999759_aQpR9-L-1.jpg

438162106_gVdpr-L.jpg

438162309_nhDqA-L.jpg

Cog wheels = :lust

441921212_BBga6-L.jpg

The evenings were spent with friends, some new and some old. It was good to see people and take a break from the endless silence that is a forgotten building. Shenanigans:

441934635_LRGD3-L.jpg

You can find this particular nomad here on Dgrin occasionally, if he's not out doing what he does best:

441939574_BS6WQ-L-1.jpg

Even as we headed home, I was a bit doubtful. Each and every one of us has the opportunity to travel to exotic places near and far, and on the surface, Coal Country isn't it. But as I sifted through my memories and my photos and realize how unique this land really is, I am becoming more and more capable of understanding and appreciating that fact.

Comments

• Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    clap.gif The images and words truly tell the story of life in a part of American culture that most will never dare to see. Great series Schmoo! thumb.gif
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Beautiful work as usual.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Stunning.

Lovely images and words like poetry to describe your experience.

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    clap.gif so cool....

lov the last window shot before the wheels...so cool...

i dont know the faces... maybe give us better hints? or i missed the names totally
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Beautifully captured...as always...thumb.gif

BTW...the shots through the windows....both of them...are scrumptious!bowdown.gif

Have yourself a merry one schmoo.
  • Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    I like the window shots, too. It's like looking at a painting of bygone days.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    Thanks for the comments guys! Hope you all had (or are having) a great holiday, too. Our friend Matt has been around Dgrin a bit as mANVIL, but more people may know him from the Moab shootout as "that dude who looks kinda like Dave Matthews." lol3.gif
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Cool shots. Have you seen this site?

http://www.opacity.us/

Abandoned hsopital and prisons around the North East.

Can you get a few in before you leave? Why are you moving west?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Cool shots. Have you seen this site?

http://www.opacity.us/

Abandoned hsopital and prisons around the North East.

Can you get a few in before you leave? Why are you moving west?

Z
    Ja, Motts is famous for his work. ;)

I used to do a lot more exploring before... I'd like to say before I ran out of places to go locally, but honestly it's before I changed jobs! lol3.gif

http://www.schmootography.com/Quiescence

I love the west coast and I've never lived off the East my whole life. It's time to do a little exploring of a different type, as well as meet some westerly Dgrinners thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments, Zanotti!
  • Options
    ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    great shots schmoo! i need to get back there, those shots are AMAZING!

glad you could make it out to the campsite/fire it was good times. :)

sorry i'm a bit disjointed, currently out of the country and no sleep.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    kts wrote:
    great shots schmoo! i need to get back there, those shots are AMAZING!

glad you could make it out to the campsite/fire it was good times. :)

sorry i'm a bit disjointed, currently out of the country and no sleep.

Sweet! I wish I could be a jetsetter like you. I'm workin' on it... :D
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    You really have a way of making old rundown buildings look interesting ... Well presented with the commentary thumb.gif Plus anything with gears in it is good stuff :D
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Sweet! I wish I could be a jetsetter like you. I'm workin' on it... :D

I do what I can. :D

You all get to go all over the place so I think you're doing a pretty good job yourself. :)