Options

Tips for photo in front of Christmas tree?

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited December 30, 2008 in Technique
Anyone have any tips for getting a good shot of a couple of people in front of the Christmas tree? Trying to show off the lights on the tree as well as the flashed people in front of it.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Anyone have any tips for getting a good shot of a couple of people in front of the Christmas tree? Trying to show off the lights on the tree as well as the flashed people in front of it.

Not sure this entirely answers the question, but I was just reading some stuff on the The Strobist site about shooting xmas lights etc. It may be a starting point...

My guess is that you need more ambient light than flash, but that about maxes out my own knowledge on the subject...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    dlscott56 wrote:
    What camera, what flash?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    What camera, what flash?
    Nikon D80 with an SB600 flash. I was also going to use my 17-50 f2.8 lens. I've got a tripod for the camera and one for the flash. No umbrellas or softboxes, just a diffuser for the flash.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Nikon D80 with an SB600 flash. I was also going to use my 17-50 f2.8 lens. I've got a tripod for the camera and one for the flash. No umbrellas or softboxes, just a diffuser for the flash.
    Find the exposure settings combination (ISO + aperture + exposure) that would allow you to capture the ambient light at 1/10s..1/30s (hint: do use your tripod!). Then add your flash in manual mode that would get you 1/2..1 stop over this. Do not fire the flash direct or obstruct it with snap-ons (unless your diffuser is really big, like 4'x3' or larger), use the ceiling/wall as your reflector/diffuser instead.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    Shoot from a tripod like Nik said.

Camera in Manual Mode, flash in iTTL.

Set your camera aperture and shutter speed such that the tree is under exposed maybe 2/3 s of a stop and try for a shutter speed of 1/100th or so if possible - you may need to alter aperture and ISO to do this.

Your manual settings - aperture, shutter speed, and ISO will capture the background, tree and lights. The flash will illuminate your family in front of the tree correctly via iTTL.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Ok, thanks. I'll start experimenting right away.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    After some experimenting with the exposure and flash settings here is the first dry run for the photo I hope to take tomorrow evening.

441419565_iYzL3-XL.jpg

I was going to move the table out of the frame, move everyone over to the right to try and minimize the hallway in the background, and move Zach (left) a little tighter into the group. I know it won't be pro quality but would like to get a decent shot.

Suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks!
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Other suggestions:

Turn off all the room lights.
    Bounce the flash.
    Gel the flash color temperature orange and set the camera to incandescent WB.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Other suggestions:

Turn off all the room lights.
    Bounce the flash.
    Gel the flash color temperature orange and set the camera to incandescent WB.

Thanks, I'll try that. I have an orange gel that can be Velcro attached to my flash.
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    You plan to move that endtable out of the frame too right?:D
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    dlscott56 wrote:
    After some experimenting with the exposure and flash settings here is the first dry run for the photo I hope to take tomorrow evening.

Suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks!
    This one seems to be *very* soft, not enough flash, it seems.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    End tables moved, camera panned a little to the right to remove the hallway and the flash bumped up a little.

Thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Another suggested I heard this week was to set your flash to slow sync. This will allow the sensor to capture the ambient light, then the flash to expose the subjects. I plan to try this later today. Bouncing the flash is always recommended.
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    I hope you will share the resulting images.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2008
    Well ... It didn't turn out anywhere close to what I had hoped. Lots of stuff wrong with the photo, my inexperience shows. But, that's ok, I still love doing this stuff and will continue to learn. Things got a little rushed, we were trying to get everything ready for Christmas, and no one really wanted to take time for the photo.

Anyway, here it is:

444310097_wqBfq-M.jpg

Thanks again for all your help.
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    I gave it a try, first time trying a real a portrait type shot. No flash, a lamp behind the camera directed at us. I don't like the drapes behind my head but had no choice, and I need a shaverolleyes1.gif

What do you think?

3122192165_7249506dde.jpg

Thanks
    Michael