Options

WTB: Looking for Strobe Light Kit...

remerremer Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited January 1, 2009 in The Kitchen Sink
Just getting into indoor portraits and would like to find a set of strobe light kits. Umbrellas too if you have some extras. Looks like I just missed a good buy again....darn it!!!!

A new year is almost here....I bet you have some old equipment to clean out to make room for some new stuff!!!!!

Interested in anything and everything for indoor shooting!

Comments

• Options
    photagphotag Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 31, 2008
    strobe light kit
    remer wrote:
    Just getting into indoor portraits and would like to find a set of strobe light kits. Umbrellas too if you have some extras. Looks like I just missed a good buy again....darn it!!!!

A new year is almost here....I bet you have some old equipment to clean out to make room for some new stuff!!!!!

I've been thinking about selling my Novatron 500 kit and your posting has prompted me. This is a 3 light set with tripods and reflectors. Comes in a great hard carrying case for all the gear. Look them up and let's see if we can come to some arrangement.

regards, guy
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Questions for you....
    Since I'm a newbie about Light kits, is this Novatron 500 a continuous light or is it synced with the camera and fires when prompted? Does this kit include umbrellas? If so, are they white, silver or??? Is there a power pack for the lights? Cords? See, I told you I don't know much about them!

But am very interested in a price too!

Currently I am sitting at the bank waiting on year end processing....feel free to email me there....check your pm!

Thanks!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    here is something to think about....most older strobes put out a higher voltage when firing than the newest ones and this is vry dangerous for digital cameras.....I have had to go to using radio slaves so my digitals are not directly connect to the flash via a pc cable......there is a small product made by the Wein Company called a Safe sync that can be used to protect your camera.....
    Depending on the age of the Novatron set above it's sync voltage may be above the 3volts recommended for digital....

There are various ways for you to start out:

Shoe mount flash units(speedlights) for your camera (2-4)....do some reading at strobist.

Power pack strobes such as the novatrons above.....Novatron has been around a very long time and is a decent product.....personally I do not like powerpack kits, because if the power pack dies you have nothing left to shoot with......

Monolights....these are 1 light and powerpack built all into 1 unit....so if you have 2 or more monolights and one dies, you can just keep on shooting....they do take up a little more room than the powerpack lighting kits.....Alien Bees are a good set up made by the Paul C Buff Company in Nashville Tn.....

For location shooting I a lot times use Sunpak 622 Pro's these are a handle mount flash ran off a battery pack (Quantum 1).....
    In studio setting I have 5 Paul Buff White Lightnings....these are a predecessor to the Alien Bees.......

I have seen some great deals on Ebay for lighting equiptment....but before buying off ebay I would always see if the item can be covered with the square trade warranty offered thru ebay.....that will at least give you some warranty if needed......

I know lots ofthe shooters on here have mixed bags for lighting.....but I have lived by a rule of thumb given to me by the famous hollywood glamour Photog Peter Gowland......try to keep all your lights the same brand and model for ease of use and holding any confusion down, if a light dies it would not matter which one you replace it with if they are all the same brand and model,,,,,,this also keeps the number and type of spare lamps one should keep on hand,,,,,,if you have 2 or more brands you're should have spares for each one.....if you only have one brand and model you only need 1 type of lamp.....so in my case I have 5 strobes and 1 spare.....I (knock on wood) have nevr had a studio strobe burn out on me.....but I buy replacements every 2 yrs or so.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Thanks!!!
    Thanks so much for the info...I have a LOT of reading to do! Am not wanting to spend a lot of $$$, just something to practice with for a little part time $$$$. LOVE to read any comments!

I'm only 3 hours from you to the north and west...good ole Beloit, KS.wings.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    remer wrote:
    I'm only 3 hours from you to the north and west...good ole Beloit, KS.wings.gif

Wow I hunt pheasants at Hunter.....We should work out at shoot for the chalk pyramids in Gove sometime............or the zoological park in Salina.......maybe we could get some to come from Manhattan or KC also........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    remer wrote:
    Just getting into indoor portraits and would like to find a set of strobe light kits. Umbrellas too if you have some extras.
    I have a brand-new Adorama Flashpoint II 1220 monolight for sale, still sealed in the box (info below).

I'd have to look in my closet, but I think I may also have a spare, new 40" white umbrella (convertible type, either bounce or shoot-through) that came in a kit and could be added on to the below.

Cheers
    = photobug

Brand New Flashpoint II 1220A 600 watt-sec studio strobe (monolight)
    This monolight is still brand new in its completely unopened box!
    It goes for $299 at Adorama; I'm asking $250 shipped & Paypal'd
    (or $10 less for local swap in area from north San Jose to San Mateo, CA).

Box includes: Flashpoint II 1220A Monolight w/ Reflector Dish, Sync Cord, Power Cord, Flashtube, and Modeling Light.

I have 3 other Flashpoint II monolights and they've worked great and been totally reliable. They offer continuously variable output, and the flash-output-power control also varies the modeling light proportionally. They have a built-in strobe slave trigger (which can be switched off). And they have an audible recharge confirmation beep (which can also be switched off). They can trigger from (1) a built-in flash slave (included), (2) wired sync cord (included), or my personal favorite (3) wireless remote triggers (available separately from many sources).
    • New, in unopened box!
    • No sales tax, of course
    • free shipping within U.S.
    • lots of transactions on DGrin Flea Market, all happy ones :D
    • Payment methods:
      • cash
      • PayPal cash/e-check
      • credit-card PayPal
      • Google Checkout
    To grab this item or ask a question, contact me via DGrin Private Message or, better yet, via email.

A detailed description borrowed from this page is:
    Power (Watt Seconds) 600
    Guide Number 252
    Flash Duration 1/600 to 1/1000 sec
    Power Control Stepless Control from Full Power to 1/8 Power
    Recycling Time 1 to 3 Seconds
    Fan Cooled Yes
    Modeling Lamp 250 Watt
    Modeling Bulb Base E27 - E26
    Voltage 110 volt mains, 6 volt sync
    Built-In Slave Yes
    User replaceable flashtube Yes
    Dimensions 15" x 5.6" x 7.5"
    Weight 5-1/4 Lbs
    Special Features Modeling Lamp Proportional Output is the same as the Flashtube Output (on/off) .
    Audible Signal when Fully Recycled.
    Color Tempatute 5800° K
    Power Setting Stepless Setting from Full Power to 1/2
    Sync Voltage 6 volts
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    photagphotag Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2009
    remer wrote:
    Since I'm a newbie about Light kits, is this Novatron 500 a continuous light or is it synced with the camera and fires when prompted? Does this kit include umbrellas? If so, are they white, silver or??? Is there a power pack for the lights? Cords? See, I told you I don't know much about them!

But am very interested in a price too!

Currently I am sitting at the bank waiting on year end processing....feel free to email me there....check your pm!

Thanks!

This is a strobe unit i.e. fires when prompted. I've used it wirelessly with my digital gear and plugged in with my old film gear. Each unit has an umbrella and I also have a soft box. All are white. will supply cords. I'm open to offers re: price.