Options

HDR Advice

RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited January 2, 2009 in Technique
I have been playing with this and I am having some difficulty.

This one was processed with CS3 using 5 images 1 stop appart. Once processed I adjusted the sky via a new layer adjustment with levels and channel mixer, than used the burn tool to eliminate any halo effect around the horizon and to dim any hot spots. I also used another adjustment layer for saturation and contrast.

I am probably not using the tools correctly or in the best order since I am still a noob when it comes to photoshop. Any tips, tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated.

When I processed the image with photomatix, it came out much more vibrant and dynamic, but it had a bunch of noise in the shadows, so I gave up on it for the moment.

442997516_HG9QX-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I'll bet you are disappointed in the lack of replies to your post. I like the image a lot and am about to try my first HDR shots tomorrow. If I get similar results, I will be very happy.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Yes I was... but thats ok.

I'll just keep on reading, exploring and experimenting until I am bored with it and move on.

Good luck with your attempts and please let me know what you learn.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I have been playing around with HDR the last couple of days. I use Photomatix Pro as I don't really like the results from CS3.

What I have found is using too many exposures will introduce the noise you are talking about. Especially if you use a shot where the blacks are clipped. I would use the three shots that cover the most range without too much clipping of the blacks or loss of details in the highlights.

As for the punchiness, the first thing I adjust is the Gamma control. That usually will tone it down a bit. Then attack the Saturation, select the High or Very High option for Light Smoothing, then adjust the strength to your liking. You can then fine tune things on the Tone and Color tabs.

Hope this helps.
    Alex

BTW, that image looks pretty good but the it looks like it's leaning a bit to the left.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Yes that helps... exactly what I was looking for. Some kind of direction and tid bits like you provided.
  • Options
    nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    looks awsome to me, keep it up, the only thing i can say is it is leaning a tad so could use a tiny crop