Christmas in Manhattan

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited January 3, 2009 in Street and Documentary
We spent Christmas on Long Island visiting the grandchildren. On Friday we took the train into the city to visit bhphoto (got a gift card for Christmas :clap ). We spent the rest of the day walking around midtown taking in and capturing the sites. Here are some of those.

1. I wonder if these light up at night.
444953781_fNsnd-L.jpg

2.Apparently the Reindeer were on strike.
444954309_R5vq4-L.jpg

3. The first 2 floors of this building were unoccupied and filled with large ballons. Lights made them turn red, green, and white.
444956215_RexBW-L.jpg
4. Side view
444955893_dc66S-L.jpg
5. Rockefeller Center ice rink and tree. The mobs here were unbelievable. There were easily more people crowded around the perimeter overlooking the rink than live in my home town!!
445667204_BFukZ-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for posting these shots. I really like that one of the HUGE christmas lights. I busted my butt years ago while on skates in that very same ice rink. I haven't been on a pair of skates since then. Wish I could've gone to B&H with you.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    We spent Christmas on Long Island visiting the grandchildren. On Friday we took the train into the city to visit bhphoto (got a gift card for Christmas clap.gif ). We spent the rest of the day walking around midtown taking in and capturing the sites. Here are some of those.

1. I wonder if these light up at night.
    2.Apparently the Reindeer were on strike.
    3. The first 2 floors of this building were unoccupied and filled with large ballons. Lights made them turn red, green, and white.
    4. Side view
    5. Rockefeller Center ice rink and tree. The mobs here were unbelievable. There were easily more people crowded around the perimeter overlooking the rink than live in my home town!!

Now that would have been a wonderful day out for sure clap.gif
    I'd be in awe of all those buildings, but I'd make sure I didn't keep my mouth open so that people wouldn't think I was short a chromosome :D

The Ice Rink would keep my attention, you just wouldn't see that in the part of Australia that I live in.

Wow... and thanks for sharing your day Jack thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Hi Jack,

I busted my butt years ago while on skates in that very same ice rink. I haven't been on a pair of skates since then. Wish I could've gone to B&H with you.

Tom

Thanks for looking Tom. I too fell on that ice, For me it was back in 1952 eek7.gif

If you haven't been to NY in many years you may not have seen the new bhp store. It's 2 floors stretch from 33rd street to 34th street along 9th avenue. One could easily spend most of a day in there.

Jack
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Hi Jack... I am envious, a city I always wanted to see. That is a great series of pictures. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif azzaro
    edited January 3, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Now that would have been a wonderful day out for sure clap.gif
    I'd be in awe of all those buildings, but I'd make sure I didn't keep my mouth open so that people wouldn't think I was short a chromosome :D

The Ice Rink would keep my attention, you just wouldn't see that in the part of Australia that I live in.

Wow... and thanks for sharing your day Jack thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy.
    The whole razzle dazzle of the Times Square area is quite overwhelming. Virtually everyone walking around had a cell phone camera or a P&S held up. I'll be posting some more when I get them processed.

Jack
    edited January 3, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Jack... I am envious, a city I always wanted to see. That is a great series of pictures. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif azzaro

Thanks so much Azzaro. It's funny how we sort of take for granted the surroundings we're familiar with. I am always envious of the marvelous places your images portray.

Jack