Options

Photography education / immersion training

rgaetanorgaetano Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited January 3, 2009 in Technique
can anyone recommend any good immersion photography education programs? would love to hear if anyone can recommend any programs in the US.

I am not looking for a degree program.

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Check out the Rocky Mountain Photogaphy School in Missoula MT. The did a road show last year and visited Virginia Beach. I was impressed with the knowledge of the instructors and the depth of the courses offered in their catalog.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    Check out the Rocky Mountain Photogaphy School in Missoula MT. The did a road show last year and visited Virginia Beach. I was impressed with the knowledge of the instructors and the depth of the courses offered in their catalog.

Thanks a lot Scott!

I will check them out. Let me know if you are of others.

I'd be willing to travel, but likely can't take off more than 1 week.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Santa Fe Workshops
    rgaetano wrote:
    I'd be willing to travel, but likely can't take off more than 1 week.

I try to go about once every year or two to www.santafeworkshops.com
    The teachers are tops and well respected. I can't speak highly enough about the classes I have taken there. i took a basic class in 2001 and the learning hasn't stopped. Sarah Meegan Lee was the teacher and I since took a street photography class from her. Carlan Tapp was an assistant to Ansel Adams and he taught a class called "Finding your Photographic Voice"; Additionally I took a comprehensive Studio Lighting class in 2007 and last year a class on Wedding and Style from Daniel Milnor. All were beyond expectations.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Any of the several ART INSTITUTES are degreed......earning up to a Masters I do believe.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Or, if you are wicked cheap like me you can navigate over to the Assignments section and work your way back through all 100+ weekly assignments.

Then give the current mini challenge a try and find out how much work you have to do to catchup to some of the pros here.

Don't forget to submit some images to the whipping post forum. Be sure to add a signature like mine so people have permission to give you REAL criticism rather than the "Oooo, that's a pretty picture" criticism. Thank them profusely for kicking your picture to the curb since they are sharing their knowledge with you for free.

Then submit an image to the Sharp Shooter's challenge and find out how much you really suck. Look closely at the pictures that do well and the past winners. Learn from their pictures and comments.

You can make it all as immersive as you want. The best part is it is all FREE! All it costs is time and the drive to get involved.

Once you work at it for a while you'll be able to take pictures as good as this:

447540574_UkQk2-M.jpg

Just kidding. :D I'm in a really silly mood tonight.
    geoff
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    Thanks to each of your for your quick replies and good pointers. You've opened me up to some wonderful learning oportunities, as well demostrating the vibrant community we have with DGRIN.