Options

One: Man against mother nature

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited May 5, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello. I was trying to think of an idea for this and i guess this is what i came up with. Went on a nice long 11 mile hike today to get some pictures and on the top took these. Done today 05/03/05 and taken at 4450ft.

Any of these any good for the contest?
oneagainst.jpg

oneagainst2.jpg

oneagainst3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Really cool!

Edited: I didn't realize this was for the challenge, sorry. To be a little constructive I would choose number 2. Composition is best there in my opinion and it really conveys the feeling as though he/you are the only man on Earth.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    I must say I am impressed with this idea. It makes me wish I had such beautiful surroundings. The composition and lighting is very soothing. If I had to pick one for the challenge, I'd pick the 2nd. It follows the rule of thirds, and the mountains and sky emphasize his 'insignificance' or singularity in the midst of such greatness.

Also, his demeanor in the second looks more forlorn, while in the 3rd he has his hands in his pockets and a wide stance, as if he's conquered the world. So... you really could go either way, depending on what mood and point you want to convey through the photo.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    Blues fanBlues fan Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Great photos!

I like #2 the best. The subject looks more relaxed after accomplishing a major challenge. Just my opinion.

Gil
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]_________________________
    -Gil-

[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]My world of photography[/FONT]
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    #2 for me also.
    I think it displays a sense of one.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited May 4, 2005
    Challenge or no. These are nice images. I like the first.
    There's nice perspective and a teaser of a view.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 4, 2005
    Wow, beautiful shots and wonderful idea. I have to respectfully disagree with the others on the rule of thirds. IMHO I think you could scrap that idea and go with him centered in the picture for this particular challenge. I think that enhances his singularity, however in your #1, while he is centered we don't see enough of the landscape. If you could accomplish a shot with him centered in the frame and with the same setting as your #2 I think I would go thumb.gif all the way.
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    I agree with Angilo that the centered shot is nice but as he said more of the mountains would add the sense of "One" and the "aloneness" of the shot.

After lookingat the title (man against nature) I'd have say this says "man comuning with nature" or "at peace with nature" or even "one with nature", but the "onesness" does stand out whatever you title it. Just a random thought, like most of mine these daysrolleyes1.gif

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Great pictures!! #2 is definitely the best for the challenge. I disagree with those who would have you place the subject in the center. Besides conveying the concept of "one" (which all three photos do), the picture should be a really good picture by any measure. #2 satisfies both criteria IMHO. thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I disagree with those who would have you place the subject in the center. Virginia
    > Oh yeahhhhhh???

> YEAH!!!!!

> Why I oughta!!!!!!
  • Options
    KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Wow... ummm this photo challenge is going to be tuff with images like this! Number two is the winner of the bunch. Your shot has definitely raised the "bar" for this contest. Well done.
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    I like #2. The man staring down at the mountain peak. Nice.

Erich
  • Options
    willow56willow56 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    > Oh yeahhhhhh???

> YEAH!!!!!

> Why I oughta!!!!!!
    clap.gif i'm gonna be different and prefer #3.. i like the absolute feeling of solitude without the distraction of scenery in this pic..
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    > Oh yeahhhhhh???

> YEAH!!!!!

> Why I oughta!!!!!!
    Yeah! :smack Hey, Angelo, you are beating me up in Challenge 37. No need to do it here! rolleyes1.gif #2 rocks as is. Admit it! Va.

Email
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Yeah! :smack Hey, Angelo, you are beating me up in Challenge 37. No need to do it here! rolleyes1.gif #2 rocks as is. Admit it! Va.
    iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Whoa where are you guys bringing this thread rolleyes1.gif

Thank you everyone for the great comments and feedback. It is hard to imagine the view i am looking at in the 3rd picture. Two enormous valleys surrounded by 5000ft peaks being able to see 50 or so miles deep off into distant peaks awesome view...