Options

A Mexican Honeymoon

jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Journeys
In October, my now husband and I took a few of our friends and family to Quintano Roo, Mexico, on the Mayan Riviera to get married. It was a lovely beach wedding with many pairs of flip flops on display. The week after the wedding, my husband and I took a trip over to Cozumel for a honeymoon. It was fantastic, and I thought I'd share some of the photos, especially given the deep freeze that we're currently experiencing here in Ottawa!!

First of all, here are a few from the resort we got married at, Paradisus Riviera Cancun - highly recommended if you're in the market for all inclusive. Not our cup of tea as a rule, but with a large group it was a lot easier to make everyone happy!

DSC_0033.jpg

Private palapas to hang out on the beach.

DSC_0061.jpg

Bali beds for hanging out by the pool.

DSC_0168.jpg

One of the many reflecting pools throughout the resort. Truly beautiful!

While with family and friends, we took a trip to Chichen Itza. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, even with numerous other tourists wandering around. I was enthralled with the colors of the goods offered by the vendors.

DSC_0345.jpgDSC_0356.jpg

The Observatory, above, and El Castillo below.

DSC_0351.jpg
DSC_0339.jpg
DSC_0390.jpg
Some of the goods available to buy.

We took a cab from our resort in Puerto Morelos to Playa del Carmen to wait for the ferry. The waiting area is gorgeous, and you can have a beer in the sun while you wait!

DSC_0451.jpg

When we got there, we rented a beat up old jeep and drove around, getting a feel for the island, and trying to decide where to stay. We found a beautiful small hotel, right on the beach, called Playa Azul - absolutely charming!

DSC_0581.jpg

If you look closely at the balcony on the right, you can see the husband admiring the view from our room.

DSC_0568.jpg

And here is the view from our room.

We dropped off our gear and took off to explore a little bit, and find something to eat. Driving south of the downtown core doesn't provide much in the way of entertainment, save for a few overpriced resorts, until you hit Carlos 'n' Charlies.

DSC_0536.jpg

We stopped in for a drink and to see about some dinner, but they close early! So a few locals suggested we try a place called Guido's, on the way back to the hotel. Best. Italian. Food. Anywhere.!! It doesn't look like much when you first enter, but the staff, congregated near the back of the restaurant, waved us in warmly, and we discovered a little treasure!

PB030489.jpg

An outdoor eating area, with a roof of flowering vines, great music, attentive staff, and an excellent atmosphere! Highly recommended: garlic bread, lasagna, antipasto, creme brulee, and sangria, with the mojito coming in a strong second on favorite beverages!

During our 6 day stay, we found the most amazing beach, at the far South end of the island. It's an ecological park at Punta Sur, recently opened to tourists after quite a few years of being closed off. There are many areas where the sea turtles lay their eggs, so to protect them, as well as the coral reefs found off the shore, there is a $10 US park entrance fee. Well worth it! In fact, we went back 3 or 4 days in a row to enjoy the almost private beach and the fantastic snorkeling.

PB030469.jpg

A view of the beach from the top of the lighthouse in the park.

PB030473.jpg

Hammocks in the shade waiting for loungers.

F1000024.jpg

One of the pieces of coral out by the 'arrecifes', about a hundred metres off the shore.

F1000002.jpg

We met this fella the first day we were at the beach, but had only one shot left in our disposable underwater camera. A shopping trip later, armed with camera, we set out again to say hello to our new pal. We swam with him for about 15 minutes, and then said goodbye. Amazing!

On the way back to town, we took the 'back' road on the non-tourist side of the island. We noticed a truck parked on the side of the road, and lots of markers sticking up in the sand on the beach, so we stopped to see. There is a municipal group who helps free the baby sea turtles from their nests by digging away the sand. Because of the help, approximately 97% of the babies now manage to make their way from the nests down to the ocean.

PB050516.jpg

This is one of the volunteers, who helps free the babies, under the watchful eye of a municipal employee.

PB050517.jpg

Here are some of the little guys making their way out, thanks to the good work of the volunteer.

Back in town, we found some little treasures to shoot:

DSC_0511.jpg
PB010442.jpg
PB010440.jpg

When we got home, I had about 1000 photos to sort through! I'd love to share them all, but this is probably more than enough!

Hope you enjoyed them!
Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
Joy Nash

Comments

• Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Beautiful first shots! wings.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Nice shots throughout the series! Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    clap.gif You brought back many memories. I have been going to the general area for about 25 years now. Sorry to see the growth but that's another issue. I'm somewhat confused about which island you actually stayed on. My honeymoon was on Isal Mujeras and I visited Playa de Carmen and also Cozamel and I've stayed at all of these. The pictures are all great and absolutely unique (sea turtles, etc). I have dived the area for 20 years and only seen one sea turtle and that was at the locals (north) end of
    Cozamel and the current was so strong we couldn't stop to enjoy.
    Glad you enjoyed your trip.wings.gif
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words!

Bob, we stayed in Puerto Morelos for the first week of our trip, and on Cozumel for the second week. We found it quite amazing, and yes, it does look like it's being built up into a more touristy area. We did find some really great, quaint places on the back side of the island, though - hopefully, 'progress' won't hit them.
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    I love the shot of the bracelets.
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    :D I used to know an American women (dive instructor) that either helped run or was part owner of a resort in Puerto Morelos. Didn't see anything of her did you?
    bsvirginian
    headscratch.gif
    jethibod wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words!

Bob, we stayed in Puerto Morelos for the first week of our trip, and on Cozumel for the second week. We found it quite amazing, and yes, it does look like it's being built up into a more touristy area. We did find some really great, quaint places on the back side of the island, though - hopefully, 'progress' won't hit them.
  • Options
    KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Fantastic series.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams