Options

Choochoooo

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Was messing around a few weeks ago. Used pocket wizards, 430 EX, on the floor, slow shutter speed and 2nd curtain sync. Then a bit of processing afterwards. My grandson calls it "Thomas"...LOL

436119876_nybCj-XL.jpg
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• Options
    manganosmanganos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Hey that is a nice shot! I might break out the ol' Lionel train set and give it a shot.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Neat Shot, very nicely done, I'll bet your Grandson just loves it!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Very Cool!

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Beautiful. Love the resolution on this. Would you mind sharing the EXIF?

Thanks,

Dan
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    What a shot! Love the sense of motion imparted to certain areas while leaving the cab sharp. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Very cool indeed! 49 is a good number, got it inked on my arm :D
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Beautiful. Love the resolution on this. Would you mind sharing the EXIF?

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Dan.....ISO 800, 1/13th sec. f/3.5 using the 40D, 2nd curtain sync......then........bwahhahaahahahahaah.......the old PS layers and masks routine....Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. My wife thought I was crazy...well, she still does actually..hehe....was laying on the floor with a flash CR..waiting for the train to come around again and again as I'm snapping away, slowing the shutter speed....did this for like 10 minutes till I got what I wanted. By now I think she realizes I'll do most anything to get a shot :D:D:D
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Was messing around a few weeks ago. Used pocket wizards, 430 EX, on the floor, slow shutter speed and 2nd curtain sync. Then a bit of processing afterwards. My grandson calls it "Thomas"...Laughing.gif

Swartzy that's a really nice shot.

First words that come to mind is "POLAR EXPRESS" :D

The colour tones in the image work well with the scene.

Beautifully captured clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Beautiful photo as usual.

But, I'm confused about something. Isn't the intent of 2nd shutter sync to put the trails from hot spots (lights, smoke stacks, etc) behind the light rather than in front of it? If so, then the train must have been running backwards or you had 1st shutter sync going there.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    Beautiful photo as usual.

But, I'm confused about something. Isn't the intent of 2nd shutter sync to put the trails from hot spots (lights, smoke stacks, etc) behind the light rather than in front of it? If so, then the train must have been running backwards or you had 1st shutter sync going there.

Heheh..you know Scott...It's my mission in life to confuse you with these strange lighting set ups. rolleyes1.gif Now, honestly...and maybe you can answer this....cause the train was going forward....I had a PW on camera, the 430 on it's own little stand CR...set to 2nd curtain. Now.....since PW's are stupid...as they don't know ETTL or any other types of settings other that radio signal trigger, it is possible, even though the flash was set to 2nd curtain, it fired 1st curtain anyway. That would explain the light trail....not trailing...Laughing.gif. It also may be the fact at 1/13th, the flash firing 1st curtain would still stop motion as demonstrated in the "cab" as there wasn't much ambient.....in other words, the flash exposure is how it stopped the movement....on the cab...on the front of the train..you can see the motion blur.

I assumed setting the flash in 2nd curtain using the PW it would fire the way it was supposed to....like that when it's atop my camera...but it is quite possible the flash went 1st curtain as a default because the PW cannot transfer such information from body to flash.

Thinking out loud....in any case, thanks for the nice comment.....1st or 2nd.....I'm glad it worked...Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Heheh..you know Scott...It's my mission in life to confuse you with these strange lighting set ups. rolleyes1.gif Now, honestly...and maybe you can answer this....cause the train was going forward....I had a PW on camera, the 430 on it's own little stand CR...set to 2nd curtain. Now.....since PW's are stupid...as they don't know ETTL or any other types of settings other that radio signal trigger, it is possible, even though the flash was set to 2nd curtain, it fired 1st curtain anyway. That would explain the light trail....not trailing...Laughing.gif. It also may be the fact at 1/13th, the flash firing 1st curtain would still stop motion as demonstrated in the "cab" as there wasn't much ambient.....in other words, the flash exposure is how it stopped the movement....on the cab...on the front of the train..you can see the motion blur.

I assumed setting the flash in 2nd curtain using the PW it would fire the way it was supposed to....like that when it's atop my camera...but it is quite possible the flash went 1st curtain as a default because the PW cannot transfer such information from body to flash.

Thinking out loud....in any case, thanks for the nice comment.....1st or 2nd.....I'm glad it worked...Laughing.gif
    I'm pretty sure that PWs fire when they get the signal from the hotshoe and that signal only gets there when the camera is good and ready to send it, and that happens according to program. I've got some reception dance shots done that way and they turned out. Whatever - one more mystery to unravel.