edited May 8, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Poor man's poker....

21287227-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    is300soonis300soon Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    I love it

Can you explain more about it, how you took it etc etc etc. And do you mind if I use it for my desktop?

David
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 5, 2005
    very cool, I like it alot icon10.gif

nicely composed as well

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Very nice shot...I think that's about how much I'll have in my pocket when I get back from Vegas next weekend (the pennies, that is)
  • Options
    is300soonis300soon Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    I am going June 9 10 11 12

Im only taking 300 this time.

David
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Well, I just took a couple of dollars out of my wallet and set them on a piece of felt on the dining table. I then took a pair of dice, a deck of cards, game pieces from a Sequence board game, and pennies from our coin dish and laid them on the felt. I picked the Aces from the deck of cards and laid them out and used the rest of the deck to rest the desk lamp on so that the light would come in from the top and create the shadows. My wife then suggested to add the shot glass and I was getting thirsty so I poured out some Scotch. I had my camera on a tripod just over the setup and took the picture with just the available light (you can click on the picture to get the photo EXIF data).

After the shooting I brought the pictures into Photoshop and coverted to Duotone. First I adjusted the contrast used channel mixer to get the right grey levels. This gave it a much nicer look than the original color version.

It surprised me to see how well the shot came out because when I looked at the setup (not through the camera) it looked a bit hoaky. But it's amazing what the lighting and composition can do for an image.... It turned out pretty close to what I had envisioned in my mind before I took the shot.

I don't mind any use you might find for the picture.

Cheers,

Erich
    P.S. It's been a while since I've been to Vegas which is why I think I was able to afford the camera I used to take this picture. But maybe if I go back I can get that EOS 1Ds Mark II and the super-duper IS USM L-series telephoto lens.... :D
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    good concept & nice pic, I'd got stuck on a singular object.
    erich6 wrote:
    Poor man's poker....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Hi, erich6
    Wow, what a Great photo! thumb.gif
    You should do well in the contest.
    Do you plan to enter the contest that started monday?

Take Care,
    Charles Cassidy,
    erich6 wrote:
    Poor man's poker....

21287227-L.jpg
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2005
    I just entered the photo in the Challenge 38. Thanks for the good comments!

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 5, 2005
    Erich: You've accomplished some magic here. This is really a great photo, well done! thumb.gif Lighting is particularly good and perhaps the icing on the cake.

If I were to offer any creative criticism I'd say there are too many elements in the shot. coins, bills, cards, dice, chips, glass... a lot to take in.

But it's still great!
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Now that is Cool!

g (you just happened to have all that stuff right there? I have the pennies.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    OK now I see no reason to try and enter mine Laughing.gif This is Great! What a good idea. And I like the duotone!
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited May 6, 2005
    Uh, I hate to say this, but I want to vote for that shot.

Seeing it on the challenge thread, next to all the color, could you make it pop a bit, still maintaining the duotone?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Erich: You've accomplished some magic here. This is really a great photo, well done! thumb.gif Lighting is particularly good and perhaps the icing on the cake.

If I were to offer any creative criticism I'd say there are too many elements in the shot. coins, bills, cards, dice, chips, glass... a lot to take in.

But it's still great!
    Thanks Angelo!

Yes, I was a bit worried about making it too complicated. I thought stripping the color would help "simplify" the image a bit. But when I tried to think what I could take out and still maintain the same impression I couldn't come up with anything....

Erich
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Uh, I hate to say this, but I want to vote for that shot.

Seeing it on the challenge thread, next to all the color, could you make it pop a bit, still maintaining the duotone?

ginger
    Hi Ginger,

What do you think I should try to make it "pop" a bit more? I don't know that more contrast would work but maybe I can change the duotone color....

Erich
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2005
    Thanks to all for the good comments!

Erich
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    I really like this shot. The mood, the lighting, I can almost smell the cigarettes, scotch. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    willow56willow56 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    totally cool
    erich6 wrote:
    I just entered the photo in the Challenge 38. Thanks for the good comments!

rolleyes1.gif
    great idea, great set up, love the lighting.. how did you get the photo details? and how did you enter into the contest?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2005
    willow56 wrote:
    great idea, great set up, love the lighting.. how did you get the photo details? and how did you enter into the contest?
    Just enter the following information (without the asterisks)

[*url=http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=11909504*] [*img]http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/11909504-S.jpg[*/img] [*/url]

and substitute the path to your info. The URL is where the image data exists. If you have a Smugmug account and store your images online you can get the URL from the photograph details link in your galleries. The address in IMG is the photo path in Smugmug. There are other ways to do this if you store the photograph somewhere else but I'm not familiar with those. See the instructions from Andy for more information (threads with stickies).

Erich
  • Options
    THE TOOTHTHE TOOTH Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2005
    I love this photo. Partly because I'm a poker player myself. :D Very good capture.
    You can't handle THE TOOTH!!!