Options

Nikon 70-200mm f-2.8 Lens

Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
edited January 7, 2009 in Cameras
I am curious if anyone has any idea what kind of lens I should get that is this type of focal length and f stop as low as 2.8. The only one I saw was $1800.

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    The 70mm-200mm is a fantastic lens. A bit on the heavy side, but balanced well. B&H sells these in the $1600 range and is well worth it.

Your next bet would be the 80-200mm A bit cheaper, but doesn't offer the same range. Again this is a heavy lens.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    70-200 is on my list as well. I have read so many reviews on it and they are all positive.

The 80-200 is not VR which may not be a big deal to you.

I have the 18-200mm but it is only f5.6. I have taken several pictures with it, but I am learning that it is a good everyday lens, but I still want the 70-200mm f2.8 for my 2 boys and their sports.

I have seen it in Canada for 1650. From what I read, it is worth absolutely every penny!!
  • Options
    jstewjstew Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    older 80 -200mm AF
    If you have the money, and need, get the new Nikon VR, if not the older 80-200mm 2.8 AF ED lens (the one before plastic and the tripod collar) is a tac sharp, great color and 1/3 -1/2 the cost . The AF on it is a joke but I almost never use AF. VR is nice but you will find for action and nature, High shutter speeds is what your looking for anyways. If your needing to shoot in low light, and your the only thing thats going to possibly move then the VR is a good thing.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited January 5, 2009
    jstew wrote:
    If you have the money, and need, get the new Nikon VR, if not the older 80-200mm 2.8 AF ED lens (the one before plastic and the tripod collar) is a tac sharp, great color and 1/3 -1/2 the cost . The AF on it is a joke but I almost never use AF. VR is nice but you will find for action and nature, High shutter speeds is what your looking for anyways. If your needing to shoot in low light, and your the only thing thats going to possibly move then the VR is a good thing.

Jstew, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the comments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I got mine just a couple months ago from Adorama, refurbished, for 1599.00, No complaints. I just don't get enough chances to use it. But baseball season starts early here in Georgia :D

You can get a Demo form Adorama for 1499.00

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20324387.html?searchinfo=nikon%2070-200&item_no=5

Here are the only shots I have made with it so far...

http://hadephoto.com/Sports/667665

http://hadephoto.com/Sports/659783
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    I have been doing a lot of looking at I want to work on portrait shots, but I am curious if this camera might be a bit on the heavy side. Does anyone think there is a close substitute Sigma or Tamron to this lens? I really like this one and the reviews are good its just that price that is scary...
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I have been doing a lot of looking at I want to work on portrait shots, but I am curious if this camera might be a bit on the heavy side. Does anyone think there is a close substitute Sigma or Tamron to this lens? I really like this one and the reviews are good its just that price that is scary...
    Sigma and Tamron both make an excellent 70-200mm 2.8 lens. Here are some good reviews:
    Sigma: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/217/cat/31
    Tamron: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1090/cat/23

Both look like great lenses. From everything I have heard & read, the Tamron is a tiny bit sharper, but the Sigma focuses faster. I imagine you would be pleased with either one. But if speed is needed, consider the Sigma. If speed isn't an issue, the Tamron is supposed to be tack sharp.
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I have the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for Nikon. It is $699. It is very sharp, and it doesn't focus as fast as a AFS lens, but then again it is quite a bit cheaper. It is also a full frame lens. Most of my work is for portraits and its great for that. It does tend to hunt for focus a bit more than the Nikon 80-200 f2.8, but not enough to bother me. Here is a shot with it.
    f4, 200MM
    420823506_9jdtT-M.jpg

I read a lot of poor ratings on the Sigma version when I was shopping, but the Sigma is a HSM lens and would be faster focusing.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    I tried the Sigma and Tamron prior to purchasing the Nikkor. Both are pretty good, but not quite as sharp or as fast focusing. Not a bad choice if limited on funds.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Shane422 wrote:
    I have the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for Nikon. It is $699. It is very sharp, and it doesn't focus as fast as a AFS lens, but then again it is quite a bit cheaper. It is also a full frame lens. Most of my work is for portraits and its great for that. It does tend to hunt for focus a bit more than the Nikon 80-200 f2.8, but not enough to bother me. Here is a shot with it.
    f4, 200MM
    420823506_9jdtT-M.jpg

I read a lot of poor ratings on the Sigma version when I was shopping, but the Sigma is a HSM lens and would be faster focusing.

I like your shot! It is kind of good to see this because I am also looking to pick up a D90 so you have provided a really good look at what the future could hold if I purchase that lens. Another thing I was looking for was a lens that wasn't DX just in case I choose at a later date to go full frame so the Tamron sounds pretty good at this point. Being $1000 less I think I could deal with slower AF. Thanks for everyones opinions and ideas! I am looking to use this lens more for portraits so Shane thanks for the excellent example!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Also another question I had was how do I know if a lens made by Tamron or Sigma is a DX lens or if it has VR?
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Also another question I had was how do I know if a lens made by Tamron or Sigma is a DX lens or if it has VR?

If you are looking at the 70-200 2.8 versions, both work on full frame and DX and neither have Nikons version of VR.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009

Tamron and Sigma have their own abbreviations and nomenclature:

I believe that Tamron uses "Di" in their lens names to indicate "crop" or reduced image circle lenses. Tamron uses "VC" to indicate their optical stabilized lenses.

Sigma uses "DC" for crop lenses and "OS" for stabilization.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Ziggy thanks for the info! Jon helpful as always! I am going to see if the local camera shop has either one of these lens on hand and see if I can try them out.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Shane422 wrote:
    f4, 200MM
    420823506_9jdtT-M.jpg

Shane I looked up the lens you suggested and if the info that Ziggy provided is true then that lens is a DX lens. Is this true? If so is there a lens that Tamron makes that is that range that isnt a crop lens?
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe that Tamron uses "Di" in their lens names to indicate "crop" or reduced image circle lenses.

This was true, but Tamron has changed the Di designation to mean Digitally Integrated Design. They now use Di II.
    Really throws things off now.

See Tamron 70-200mm review
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Shane I looked up the lens you suggested and if the info that Ziggy provided is true then that lens is a DX lens. Is this true? If so is there a lens that Tamron makes that is that range that isnt a crop lens?

It appears I am in error. The Tamron "Di-II" is the crop designation. Tamron "Di" are simply designed for digital, probably because of coatings or something.

See the feature key on this page:

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/all_in_one_zooms.asp

The Tamron 70-200mm, F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro is indeed a full-frame lens (FX in the case of Nikon).

Full description here:

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/70200_di.asp

Sorry about that.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    This was true, but Tamron has changed the Di designation to mean Digitally Integrated Design. They now use Di II.
    Really throws things off now.

See Tamron 70-200mm review

Thanks Steve.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009

It looks like Ziggy beat me to the punch. Just an FYI, I was leaning toward the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 just because it is a lighter lens, but it is a Crop lens so that was a deciding factor for me.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Thanks for the help there. Now after reading a lot of reviews some say they prefer it over the nikon 70-200 and some say not. Some say they prefer it over the Tamron 70-200 some say not. Is the Tamron AF honestly that much slower that it would make that big of a difference?
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Well I have had the chance to use the Nikon 70-200 AFS VR, the Nikon 80-200 AF-D, and the Tamron. The VR version is truly amazing, but it should be for $1600. The 80-200 is very good and just a tad faster focusing that the Tamron, but not much. I have used it for a few indoor basketball games and was satisfied.

I bought the Tamron because $700 was the top of my budget, and it is just as sharp as the 80-200. The other advantage the Tamron has is that is has the ability to focus at 3ft. The Nikon 80-200 can't focus under 6ft.

So if you are going to shoot mainly sports, I would still probably go with the Nikon if you can swing it. If its for portraits, the Tamron would be my choice.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Shane422 wrote:
    Well I have had the chance to use the Nikon 70-200 AFS VR, the Nikon 80-200 AF-D, and the Tamron. The VR version is truly amazing, but it should be for $1600. The 80-200 is very good and just a tad faster focusing that the Tamron, but not much. I have used it for a few indoor basketball games and was satisfied.

I bought the Tamron because $700 was the top of my budget, and it is just as sharp as the 80-200. The other advantage the Tamron has is that is has the ability to focus at 3ft. The Nikon 80-200 can't focus under 6ft.

So if you are going to shoot mainly sports, I would still probably go with the Nikon if you can swing it. If its for portraits, the Tamron would be my choice.

I think sports is a later on thing. Portraits was my main idea with this lens. Thanks for all the info Shane. It really helped!
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    If portraits are going to be the use, you can get a used 80-200 2.8 for 600-800 dollars. I wouldn't get a Tamron over the Nikon unless you need close focus.

Get the Sigma 70-200 if you need faster focus.