Options

More than I could chew in 35 images!

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in Journeys
Yesterday I started out from my backyard to see where the trails would take me. I was setting out to do some geocaching and to journal my hike with my Canon SD870. I wasn't out to shoot art, just record my trip, snapshot style!

I began my journey at around 11am, and 6 hours and 40 minutes later I had walked a total of 10.86 miles (I know, because my GPS tells me so!). I walked the last 40 minutes in the dark, hobbling along on weak legs. I would have been fine, except that I was one almond butter sandwich shy of what I needed, and I really needed the time to sit and rest a bit, but didn't feel like I could afford to stop as it got darker and darker.

Here's the elevation profile of my hike:

20090104-e27u873wimjmy6b1j8dtq9dc2w.jpg

So here goes: my journey.

I started off right out my backyard. It's a short but steep hike up to the trails. You can't see my house in this shot, it's a bit off to the right, but this is on my way bushwhacking up the hill to the trail:
448246515_neYHa-XL.jpg

As you can see, a gorgeous day. Cool at 57F, but perfect for hiking. I was excited.
I got up to the trail, which at this point is really a fire/utility road. I took a 360 pano up there. We're headed up the path just right of center.
448247032_uEG5e-XL.jpg

While much of the country is buried in snow, this is the beginning of our green season. The summers are hot, dry, and nearly everything is brown. We've been having rains, and it's starting to green up. It'll get greener, but it's really nice. It's nearly noon, but in the shade there's still plenty of dew, making everything feel so new. These made me think of LordV and the folks in the macro forum.
448247823_Wpw6f-XL.jpg

448248454_zkCGA-XL.jpg

This is a utility and fire road. At this point it's called Fairview Road, and is actually an extension of a residential street. But soon I'll be on Westlake Edison Road!
448248993_T5QTy-XL.jpg

448255868_bc8Ko-XL.jpg

448255242_2kJG8-XL.jpg

I'm hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains. I'm not far from where they shot M*A*S*H. Look familiar?
448250114_L2nQy-XL.jpg

It's a great feeling to get out into this.
448252900_XnSkD-XL.jpg

So, I'm out here to find some geocaches. Looking for the first one (which I didn't find!), I came across the remains of a critter. There were actually several in this little area. I guess it's someone's dining room.
448253777_zSMCk-XL.jpg

In the far range is the image of Lincoln's face in profile. Can you find it? You can see this as you come down the 23 FWY headed south. From the freeway the image of Lincoln is actually clearer.
448256309_TFvpd-XL.jpg

The vehicle gates have a map of the trail system on them.
448256993_tzQDZ-XL.jpg

One of the caches was up by a utility station. It was a great view, from high up.
448257537_3KGLV-XL.jpg

The view from the cache.
448258182_XRuRE-XL.jpg

And the cache!
448262137_C3pSi-XL.jpg

When you're geocaching you always sign the log. If the cache is large enough there's goodies in it. You take one and leave one. Here I took the card game and left one of my signature carabiner pens. Oh, and I signed the log, of course!
448263966_VvTSN-XL.jpg

I used the cache tin as a tripod.
448264518_pBYpZ-XL.jpg

Another cache. It's amazing what people walk by everyday, never seeing. Just because they're not looking.
448265354_XUEFZ-XL.jpg

448265999_novcL-XL.jpg

This sign tells you that the historic trail you're on isn't really historic.
448266975_BXAas-XL.jpg

This bench is the landmark for one of the geocaches. And there you can see Lincoln again!
448267925_2sr7s-XL.jpg

Fire roads can get pretty narrow. Later on, I'll be on foot trails.
448270574_42szN-XL.jpg

A lot of the caches use ammo boxes. They're rugged.
448272449_Br8zw-XL.jpg

I walked along with this fellow for quite a ways. He helped me navigate through one section of the trail, making sure I took the right turn. Where he left me off is where I left the fire roads. He's also the one who told me I could make my destination before dark. :wxwax
448273200_EnXf3-XL.jpg

At this point I'm starting to get a little concerned about getting out before dark. Sun's going down, and I'm about 4 miles from my destination. This is when I knew I had to revise my goal!
448273609_fV6aF-XL.jpg

The trail's changed a bit.
448274078_EyzZs-XL.jpg

The last cache I bothered to find was here. I found this CO2 cartridge, and packed it out. I don't know how many caches I passed after this point, but I'm sure I missed plenty of opportunities. This made 11 for the day, so I was OK with that, and just knew I had to get out ASAP.
448274502_QiRsF-XL.jpg

This pano is taken at the same spot.
448275278_expEM-XL.jpg

Onward and upward!
448276042_o5ian-XL.jpg

Dang. Getting worried.
448276441_oM9Fw-XL.jpg

I saw this road from a bit back, and was immediately heartened that I had found a way out!
448277759_ag5Ub-XL.jpg

Denied!!!! So close, but I can't use the road, and have to continue on...for another 2 miles. At this point I'm tired, but fine. It's the push to get out with some light in the next mile that nearly killed me, and made the last mile misery.
448278975_kqiRV-XL.jpg

I'm on the little wisp of a trail that crosses the road at this point. See it? :D
20090104-fwkqb1wuyy59yx7fd1pktwn9s5.jpg

Ruh-Roh!
448279562_zhQEH-XL.jpg

Too dark to take pictures, I busied myself with hobbling and trying to avoid a twisted ankle. Luckily, in one of the caches I had pulled out a glow stick, which I know cracked open to help light my way. It wasn't a lot of help, but it was something. I called my wife, letting her know where I would come out. Then I called her back and asked her to bring a flashlight, in case she had to come up the trail to get me. I called a third time to ask her to bring a PBJ sandwich. :D I had been pushing hard, and needed something.
448279725_S4zaV-XL.jpg

I ended up making it out all on my own just as my wife pulled up in the car. We headed over to Sharkey's. Beer and food good.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    crazy day! I bet that beer tasted soooo good.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    love the glow stick image, and the tin canned tripod... cool, wished i could have gone.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    What a great adventurous day. Looks like you had a great deal of fun!!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Thanks, guys.

Aaron, would have been a hoot. One day we'll do it. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    That is very cool
    David,

Thanks for sharing a view of my neighborhood that I wouldn't likely see from that viewpoint. Was the man on the horse named Frank? I think that he's the brother of someone else I know in the area.

My neighbor is with LA County Fire - he maintains the fire roads in the area of Malibu State Creek Park/Agoura/Westlake/Chesebro...I think he has a map of all the trails.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    David,

Thanks for sharing a view of my neighborhood that I wouldn't likely see from that viewpoint. Was the man on the horse named Frank? I think that he's the brother of someone else I know in the area.

My neighbor is with LA County Fire - he maintains the fire roads in the area of Malibu State Creek Park/Agoura/Westlake/Chesebro...I think he has a map of all the trails.

I didn't catch his name, Kathy, sorry. I thought about it just after he left. I was jealous. He was not only riding a horse, but also drinking a beer. It looked good. :D

I was figuring that the Topo maps on my Garmin and the Google Maps on my iPhone would do me fine, but I'm starting to think that a good old paper trail map would be a nice addition to my backpack. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I didn't catch his name, Kathy, sorry. I thought about it just after he left. I was jealous. He was not only riding a horse, but also drinking a beer. It looked good. :D

I was figuring that the Topo maps on my Garmin and the Google Maps on my iPhone would do me fine, but I'm starting to think that a good old paper trail map would be a nice addition to my backpack. thumb.gif

I sent a link to my friend who owns horses in Old Agoura. I think it's his brother. Also, I will check with Jeff about the fire road maps to see if they're available ...
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I sent a link to my friend who owns horses in Old Agoura. I think it's his brother. Also, I will check with Jeff about the fire road maps to see if they're available ...

Whoever the guy on the horse was, he was very nice.

Of course there are maps. There are maps of everything! And it's part of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. I just need to go pick one up.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    W1ck3d c00l, David! thumb.gif R35p3c7! bowdown.gif
    10+ miles on those trails... eek7.gif I know, technically it's called "a walk in the (Santa Monica Mountains) park", but I bet you are a bit sore today.. mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    W1ck3d c00l, David! thumb.gif R35p3c7! bowdown.gif
    10+ miles on those trails... eek7.gif I know, technically it's called "a walk in the (Santa Monica Mountains) park", but I bet you are a bit sore today.. mwink.gif

I was sore yesterday. Today I'm just grumpy from lack of sleep, but that's another story! :D Nik, you should come some time!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I was sore yesterday. Today I'm just grumpy from lack of sleep, but that's another story! :D Nik, you should come some time!
    I don't mind:-) I need exercise, and I love hiking. Gimme a call sometimes, and if I don't have a shoot on that day I'm game! thumb.gifdeal.gif

Or - I can bring a model or two and *make* it a shoot day... mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    You'll (hopefully) never run out of trails to hike up there. It's such a beautiful place. I never did any geocaching there, but we just went out this past weekend doing the same. Lots of fun stuff to find, and amazing how many are out there, all over the cities, too. wings.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    He's also the one who told me I could make my destination before dark. umph.gif
    448273200_EnXf3-Th.jpg
    He had 6 legs!!!!!!

Super Journey - bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    NomadRip wrote:
    You'll (hopefully) never run out of trails to hike up there. It's such a beautiful place. I never did any geocaching there, but we just went out this past weekend doing the same. Lots of fun stuff to find, and amazing how many are out there, all over the cities, too. wings.gif

It is beautiful, and so much more now than in the heat of summer, IMO. Much more enjoyable. I don't do the geocaching often enough. It's a hoot!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    He had 6 legs!!!!!!

Super Journey - bowdown.gif

Thanks, Andy. There's just no way I was gonna lug an SLR on this hike, and when I got back I didn't have the energy to do any more than a quick pass through LR. But the photos still tell the story, even if imperfectly. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    It is beautiful, and so much more now than in the heat of summer, IMO. Much more enjoyable. I don't do the geocaching often enough. It's a hoot!

I grew up in the Conejo, so I know. Now is perfect, especially outside of the paved areas!

SWMBO had placed a cache out here in a state park in 2003, and we went to do some maintenance on it Thursday, because the folks at Geocaching kept sayin' it was toast. We're going to try to do it more often, if for no other reason than to give us another excuse to be outside :ivar
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:

Kathy, I found my map and ordered a spare, to boot! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Very cool
    I am also planning to hike daily for next 20 days till back to Uni. Need to burn some fats mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Kathy, I found my map and ordered a spare, to boot! clap.gif

beer.gif
    Kathy Rappaport