Times Square...larger than life

Jack'll doJack'll do Major grinsRegistered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited January 7, 2009 in Street and Documentary
For many years, until recently, the Times Square area of Manhattan was the Porn Capital of Manhattan. It has since been cleaned up with new hotels and theaters and upscale shops moving in. The change is dramatic. A visitor is overwhelmed by the sounds, colors, and hustle and bustle. Here are some images I captured during the Christmas holidays. Hope you like them.

1.
446369339_7nUy2-XL.jpg

2.
446369383_wkoYV-XL.jpg

3.
445666679_qPaEK-XL.jpg

4.
446369464_yqocx-XL.jpg

5.
445666956_YfkSB-XL.jpg

6.
445666789_NXKQ9-XL.jpg

7.
445667048_N3A3m-XL.jpg

8.
446369423_eLYJ3-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

  • Shootin1stShootin1st Major grins Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Great series! They all have so much to draw you in.

    Especially like the self portrait. One of the funkiest I've seen rolleyes1.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

    5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Great series! They all have so much to draw you in.

    Especially like the self portrait. One of the funkiest I've seen rolleyes1.gif

    Thanks for looking and commenting. I hope that last part is tongue-in-cheek headscratch.gif

    Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Major grins Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I hope that last part is tongue-in-cheek headscratch.gif

    Yep. Those street creatures add a lot to the experience of going to the big city.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

    5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • black mambablack mamba Major grins Jacksonville, FLRegistered Users Posts: 7,818 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Hi Jack,

    Man, that's a really terrific set of pictures. It depicts a world and environment so vividly that it scares me from ever going near the place. Very, very nice work here.

    Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Beside himself. Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Wow! Talk about advertisement overload!

    A great series, Jack! thumb.gif
    Lee
    __________________

    My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

    "If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • SwartzySwartzy Right Brained Scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Wow...I haven't been to Times Square since the 70's if that tells you anything. That place has changed! In fact, I don't recognize one thing there. Everyone tells me that New York is a really cool place these days. I used to travel there every other week for about 2 years...I HATED the east coast....especially New York. Thanks for sharing. Nice shots.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ArvanArvan Major grins Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Lovely series! You never see such billboards etc in sweden..NEVER not even under x-mas. Then again, there are more people living 2 times square then in entire Sweden xD!

    Very nice for me to see! Love to go there some time ( and i will ) but first stop is london.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Hi Jack,

    Man, that's a really terrific set of pictures. It depicts a world and environment so vividly that it scares me from ever going near the place. Very, very nice work here.

    Tom

    Laughing.gif We're of the same mind Tom. I much prefer the rural lifestyle. But alas the wife comes from Brooklyn headscratch.gif and loves Manhattan so I suck it up and make the pilgrimage a couple times a year.

    Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub One Inspired soul Registered Users Posts: 10,569 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    These are amazing ! great place
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

    My Gallery
  • travelwaystravelways Candid Grinner Ottawa, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Very nice street photos!!!

    My favorites are #3 and #4
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • KEDKED Laffin' & Blastin' Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Wow...I haven't been to Times Square since the 70's if that tells you anything. That place has changed! In fact, I don't recognize one thing there. Everyone tells me that New York is a really cool place these days. I used to travel there every other week for about 2 years...I HATED the east coast....especially New York. Thanks for sharing. Nice shots.thumb.gif
    Please come visit. We need the tourist revenue, and you won't be disappointed. In January and February, you can even get a hotel room for less than a thousand bucks a night!
  • KEDKED Laffin' & Blastin' Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    For many years, until recently, the Times Square area of Manhattan was the Porn Capital of Manhattan. It has since been cleaned up with new hotels and theaters and upscale shops moving in. The change is dramatic. A visitor is overwhelmed by the sounds, colors, and hustle and bustle. Here are some images I captured during the Christmas holidays. Hope you like them.
    I work most of the time in the NYC suburbs, but have an office in NYC that exactly overlooks EVERYTHING you've posted here. Great captures, although perhaps you can imagine that looking at it 10 hours a day gets old pretty fast, especially with the ubiquitous Peruvian pan-flute soundtrack!
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Wow! Talk about advertisement overload!

    A great series, Jack! thumb.gif

    Thanks for the kind words Lee. It certainly is a bit overpowering. :D

    Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Wow...I haven't been to Times Square since the 70's if that tells you anything. That place has changed! In fact, I don't recognize one thing there. Everyone tells me that New York is a really cool place these days. I used to travel there every other week for about 2 years...I HATED the east coast....especially New York. Thanks for sharing. Nice shots.thumb.gif

    You won't believe it but Times Square and 42nd street are probably one of the safest areas of Manhattan to walk in at night. A far cry from 30 years ago!

    Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Arvan wrote:
    Lovely series! You never see such billboards etc in sweden..NEVER not even under x-mas. Then again, there are more people living 2 times square then in entire Sweden xD!

    Very nice for me to see! Love to go there some time ( and i will ) but first stop is london.

    Thanks Arvan. Times square definitely gives new meaning to the word "glitter".

    Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    These are amazing ! great place

    Thanks Awais. It certainly is a "one of a kind" experience I'm sure.

    Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Very nice street photos!!!

    My favorites are #3 and #4

    Thanks Tatiana. These were taken the day after Christmas. You could not believe the throngs of people milling about.

    Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    KED wrote:
    I work most of the time in the NYC suburbs, but have an office in NYC that exactly overlooks EVERYTHING you've posted here. Great captures, although perhaps you can imagine that looking at it 10 hours a day gets old pretty fast, especially with the ubiquitous Peruvian pan-flute soundtrack!

    Hi KED
    I lived on Long Island for 30 years (fortunately only had a 3 mile commute to work). I never could understand how my neighbors could make that daily commute into "the city" and deal with the throngs of people, traffic etc.

    Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Major grins Registered Users Posts: 8,074 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    My old stomping grounds. Love that first one Jack but they are all good.

    Dan
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAAdministrators Posts: 11,669 moderator
    edited January 7, 2009
    Super shots, Jack! Great colors and perspectives. iloveyou.gif Now I wanna go back to NY.

    Cheers,
    -joel
Sign In or Register to comment.