Assignments: Simple shapes and lines

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    This is my entry at the first assignments. This was pretty difficult for me to stage because I don't have the proper lighting kits. :-(

344343125_AHmji-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited August 3, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    This is my entry at the first assignments. This was pretty difficult for me to stage because I don't have the proper lighting kits. :-(

344343125_AHmji-L.jpg

My friend thought my entry for this assignment was low grade. I will reshoot something better. Please disregard this attempt...
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited September 2, 2008
    After my horid first attempt, here are a couple that fit the assignment better.

364416931_JxrZR-L.jpg

364416950_qBAnJ-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    After my horid first attempt, here are a couple that fit the assignment better.
    Unfortunately, I still find your entries too cluttered with "other stuff". Please try to find a frame where the other stuff would only take a secondary focus, if at all..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Hi Nikolai,
    I've never taken any classes and I would really like to improve my skills before I purchase a more expensive camera and lens. I can't promise I will wait a week to move on to the next lesson though, I am very eager to learn and improve.

Lesson 1:
    2907462040_ff98d79d40.jpg

Thank you Nikolia for creating these!
    Michael
    edited October 2, 2008
    mpaulie wrote:
    Hi Nikolai,
    I've never taken any classes and I would really like to improve my skills before I purchase a more expensive camera and lens. I can't promise I will wait a week to move on to the next lesson though, I am very eager to learn and improve.

Lesson 1:

Thank you Nikolia for creating these!
    Michael

Thanks Michael, nice entry! thumb.gif And welcome! clap.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Ok, please consider this a sort of "pre" entry - I'm not 100% happy with either of these (explanation below), but I wanted some feedback before I reshoot in a few days after I return from an out of town gig.

In any case, I think the IDEA is good, but the execution is lacking. I was faced with background challenges - SUBJECT is decent (?), but the background stinks and attempts to minimise it (ie stopping down or up to adjust dof) created other problems. DOF is clearly not very good here - I needed to use a telephoto to get close enough in to the rings (I'm not much of a monkey-bar girl, myself, so had to stay ON the ground :D), but that of course resulted in shallow dof. Stopping down improved subject clarity, but then the background is more distracting. And round and round we go...

In any case, here's where I"m starting from (two images on this occasion, simply because this isn't intended as my "final entry" :)

Shallow dof bugs me

IMG_1553.JPG

I prefer this one, except for all the background stuff. An attempt at cloning it out was only partly successful, so I abandoned that for the purposes of this exercise (this is unretouched except for cropping)

IMG_1530s.JPG

Am I hitting on the right problems, and possible solutions?

I will say that these asignments are AMAZING for making my brain "think like a photographer" (even if I am, clearly, not there yet lol). I keep driving past things and thinking, "oooo... that would be so cool... now which way is that side facing, would that be morning or evening sun there?!" - it's very cool!

More to come, but comments in the meantime very much welcomed. More soon! (and thanks!)
    edited October 2, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Ok, please consider this a sort of "pre" entry - I'm not 100% happy with either of these (explanation below), but I wanted some feedback before I reshoot in a few days after I return from an out of town gig.

In any case, I think the IDEA is good, but the execution is lacking. I was faced with background challenges - SUBJECT is decent (?), but the background stinks and attempts to minimise it (ie stopping down or up to adjust dof) created other problems. DOF is clearly not very good here - I needed to use a telephoto to get close enough in to the rings (I'm not much of a monkey-bar girl, myself, so had to stay ON the ground :D), but that of course resulted in shallow dof. Stopping down improved subject clarity, but then the background is more distracting. And round and round we go...

In any case, here's where I"m starting from (two images on this occasion, simply because this isn't intended as my "final entry" :)

Shallow dof bugs me

I prefer this one, except for all the background stuff. An attempt at cloning it out was only partly successful, so I abandoned that for the purposes of this exercise (this is unretouched except for cropping)

Am I hitting on the right problems, and possible solutions?

I will say that these asignments are AMAZING for making my brain "think like a photographer" (even if I am, clearly, not there yet lol). I keep driving past things and thinking, "oooo... that would be so cool... now which way is that side facing, would that be morning or evening sun there?!" - it's very cool!

More to come, but comments in the meantime very much welcomed. More soon! (and thanks!)

I'm glad you're enjoying these! thumb.gif

First one is more like latest shallow DOF, shapes are too complicated.
    Second one is better (circles), but it's also suits "frame in frame" and "vanishing point". Maybe try something even simpler? mwink.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Well, there I was thinking I'd have to wait until I got home, and what should I see at the airport but geometry everywhere ... How's this?

IMG_0928s.jpg

Frustratingly, I'm limited to the P&S for 4 days, but... at least it's something!!

Again, I can only thank you for these "eye-tuning" exercises. I would NEVER have noticed this except in passing if it hadn't been for reading this forum, and it's very excting to (quite literally) have my eyes opened! :)wings.gif
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Triangles and squares

399657536_5z4ca-L.jpg
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
    edited October 21, 2008
    sdways01 wrote:
    Triangles and squares
    Lovely, Adam, thank you!thumb.gif
  • globaltravellerglobaltraveller Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    (Un?)fortunately this was taken today:

405305374_rFwcZ-M.jpg
    edited October 29, 2008
    (Un?)fortunately this was taken today:
    It looks like something with snow involved. mwink.gif
    Nice pattern and nice shotthumb.gif , but I honestly don't think it matches the theme, or does it? headscratch.gif
  • globaltravellerglobaltraveller Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    It looks like something with snow involved. mwink.gif
    Nice pattern and nice shotthumb.gif , but I honestly don't think it matches the theme, or does it? headscratch.gif

That might not have fit so well... this one is more for the task:

408024750_fPd7y-M.jpg
    edited November 2, 2008
    That might not have fit so well... this one is more for the task:
    Now we're talking, hard to beat the straightness and the simplicity of the rail tracks! thumb.gif
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    I have to prepare an image for a photographic assignemt titled 'lines'. What better place to test my shots and get some useful critique before I consider entering one of them. Any advice thoughts would be appreciated.

3114429153_2bfa588f10_b.jpg

3113242041_9b13fcfdf6_b.jpg
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
    edited December 17, 2008
    cjmchch wrote:
    I have to prepare an image for a photographic assignemt titled 'lines'. What better place to test my shots and get some useful critique before I consider entering one of them. Any advice thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you! thumb.gif While both images do have a series of straight lines, my personall category for them would be "Vanishing Point". "Simple lines" require just lines and not much more...ne_nau.gif
  • cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! thumb.gif While both images do have a series of straight lines, my personall category for them would be "Vanishing Point". "Simple lines" require just lines and not much more...ne_nau.gif

Thanks Nikolai.
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Hi Nikolai,
    I've been following these assignments for awhile now, and figured it's time I start doing instead of just reading! So, I'm starting from the beginning. Here are three...

1. Triangles, Lines and Circles
    450214868_NJbXo-L.jpg

2. Triangles and Lines
    450214884_bh7eR-L.jpg

3. Lines
    450214896_u2SWd-M.jpg

Thanks,
    Karin

Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited January 6, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Hi Nikolai,
    I've been following these assignments for awhile now, and figured it's time I start doing instead of just reading! So, I'm starting from the beginning. Here are three...
    Thanks,
    Karin

Thanks Karin!thumb.gif
    As a side note, I always suggest to start with the most recent one and only then try to play catchup.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    [/left]
    Thanks Karin!thumb.gif
    As a side note, I always suggest to start with the most recent one and only then try to play catchup.

Sounds good, but that High Key one is intimidating!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • LevvyLevvy Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2009
    Hi everyone - another newbie playing catch up :)

467302756_DrM7Y-L.jpg

467301574_P84nk-L.jpg

467302255_9VBsB-L.jpg
    edited February 3, 2009
    Levvy wrote:
    Hi everyone - another newbie playing catch up :)
    Very nice entries, thank you! thumb.gif
  • ekkemuekkemu Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 22, 2009
    2 attempts
    Here are my 2 attempts on this one. Any comments are highly appreciated. Thanks.

SimpleShapesAndLines01.JPG

SimpleShapesAndLines02.JPG
    edited February 22, 2009
    ekkemu wrote:
    Here are my 2 attempts on this one. Any comments are highly appreciated. Thanks.
    Welcome to Dgrin and to the Class! clap.gif
    I like #1 alot! thumb.gif #2 is also very nice image but a bit more complicated for "simple shapes" :-)
  • ekkemuekkemu Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2009
    3rd attempt
    Ok, so my mind kept thinking of another attempt for Simple Shapes and Lines and I decided to post it here too, so there you go:

SimpleShapesAndLines03.jpg
    edited March 1, 2009
    ekkemu wrote:
    Ok, so my mind kept thinking of another attempt for Simple Shapes and Lines and I decided to post it here too, so there you go:

Again, very nice image - and a bit too complicated shapes:-)
  • jorogumejorogume Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Hi Nikolai,
    I've been following these assignments for awhile now, and figured it's time I start doing instead of just reading! So, I'm starting from the beginning.
    I was in exactly the same situation, and you are right.... It's time to start doing. Here is my first step: lines.

lines.jpg
    edited March 2, 2009
    jorogume wrote:
    I was in exactly the same situation, and you are right.... It's time to start doing. Here is my first step: lines.
    Nice lines! Thank you! thumb.gif
  • jorogumejorogume Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice lines! Thank you! thumb.gif

No, thanks to you for giving this kind support to the beginners. We really appreciate it. clap.gif