Options

Not sure whether to enter #16

MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
edited January 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Not sure whether to enter #16. What do you think?

"Dance"

3163916719_7ed63454c4.jpg?v=0

Should I give you a choice of 2?

3164750192_1cccf0964b.jpg?v=0
Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

Comments

• Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I like #1 best, nice light and a great pose. I could really love #2 but something just doesn't feel right about it. It may be that the camera is too high. I really wish there was some way you could light just the eyes and leave the rest of her face in deep shadow :)
  • Options
    babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    The second one is leaning to the right. I really like them!
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I think #2 is the better choice here. The pose is more dramatic.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    I like #1 best, nice light and a great pose. I could really love #2 but something just doesn't feel right about it. It may be that the camera is too high. I really wish there was some way you could light just the eyes and leave the rest of her face in deep shadow :)

I'm only 5ft lol and I was sideways shooting a portrait orientation so the camera must be about level with what... ermmm 4ft.
    I think it's the doorframe. It's so wonky it's unreal lol. You should see the top of it. Maybe they had had a few to drink when putting this house together.
    I wondered about removing the door frame altogether. I dunno.
    Maybe I will just scrap these and shoot something else.
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:
    I'm only 5ft lol and I was sideways shooting a portrait orientation so the camera must be about level with what... ermmm 4ft.
    I think it's the doorframe. It's so wonky it's unreal lol.

heh ... It's a great illusion though :) If you have a chance to reshoot in a different doorframe, I do like the pose and the backlighting ... it's just I need to at least see eyes on the face or a subtly lit jawline maybe :) Fill flash would ruin the mood but if there is a way to put just the faintest light on a small portion the face only ... it could be a killer shot.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Of course you should enter. You do great work wings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I am in LOVE with this lighting!
    I have more shots with this lighting but wasn't sure how peopele would feel about underwear shots being posted so I chose the 2 that were the least noticeable. Maybe I should post a couple more?
    I don't want to offend anyone.

And Kurt there is no chance of a reshoot :( Well, not in time for the challenge.

• Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    210 views and 7 replies lol.
    I may have found my entry...

3174483153_517375846b.jpg?v=0

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:

I love the first two - agree, the lighting is spectacular! - but this is also a fine contender. Perhaps crop out the stairwell a wee bit? I find the white at the top a little distracting...

As for your first shots - are they any alternative crops for those that might work?
  • Options
    dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:

3174483153_517375846b.jpg?v=0
    I like this picture. I agree with divamum, crop the top of the stairway a bit. What a sweet shot:D
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    I like this picture. I agree with divamum, crop the top of the stairway a bit. What a sweet shot:D

Any better? I had tried cropping even more off than this but I lost the feel of my image in doing so. I felt this was as much as I could crop off.

3177723001_99c0fc7882.jpg?v=0

• Options
    dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Beautiful!! I think you have a winnerclap.gif
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:

Any better? I had tried cropping even more off than this but I lost the feel of my image in doing so. I felt this was as much as I could crop off.

What happens if you use a faint, feathered vignette to diminish the white of the skirting boards? Just a thought. It's such a charming image, but I do find my eye going to those white lines before the delightful subject ("Halfway up the stairs is a place where I sit/There isn't any other place/Quite like it" :D)
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    What happens if you use a faint, feathered vignette to diminish the white of the skirting boards? Just a thought. It's such a charming image, but I do find my eye going to those white lines before the delightful subject ("Halfway up the stairs is a place where I sit/There isn't any other place/Quite like it" :D)

I used a vigniette already. Thanks for your help guys. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    I am a bit disappointed in the door frame of one of my images so here are MY final 2...
    (I may get another in the next 4 days lol. I am so undecided on this one!)

3163916719_7ed63454c4.jpg?v=0

3177723001_99c0fc7882.jpg?v=0

• Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Both are great but for the challenge I prefer #2 (edited version). thumb.gif It has a feeling and depth to it - like the child has followed a path and is uncertain of her future - at a sort of crossroads of continuing down or turning back to fading memories left behind. (Did I read too much into that or what????? :D ) Of course I could favor the first if her phone number was attached.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    Laughing.gif thanks Travis.

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    I like the girl on the stairs much better too. On the first one its a great concept but the angle doesn't quite make it. She is too cut off at the thighs.