Mini-Challenge #68 - "Home"

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited January 15, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
The theme for the first Mini-challenge of 2009, is "Home."

What does "Home" mean to you? Is it a specific place, a collection of sentimental objects, or people? Is it where you live now, or some place or time in the past? A room, a region, or relationship? I'm interested in what makes a living space, a "living" space.

This is wide open to interpretation, but I'm looking for images that communicate a personal statement or feeling of what "Home" means (to you, or to the subject of the photo), rather than a generic "Home Sweet Home" cliché. That said, I'm sure to be surprised - as usual - by many takes on the theme I never imagined. Discussion on the theme, as well as specific entries, is encouraged!

This challenge begins Thursday, January 1st, 2009 at 12:01 AM EST and ends Thursday, January 14th at 12:01 AM EST.

GENERAL RULES

1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, put an asterisk (*) next to the title of the image.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, dont let this just be an entry thread!
6. Dont be hesitant, share'em and enter!

How to post your PHOTO

Thanks for your participation and input! And, Happy New Year!
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Examples
    Here's a few shots to get things rolling. Of course, they are not eligible for the challenge, but comments are welcome.

"Survivors," or, "house in ruins, home intact"
    446280633_pVsZv-M.jpg

"Home Alone," or, "conversations with myself"
    446280669_PEVut-M.jpg

"Sugarloaf," or, "the place where I was born"
    446280717_8a8oK-M.jpg

P.S. Thanks again to Karrie for the inspiration for this challenge theme!
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    "Sugarloaf," or, "the place where I was born"
    446280717_8a8oK-M.jpg

I love this picture!! I'm not always crazy about this technique on photos but I think it looks really awesome here.

Stephanie
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    may it be a late soothing warm spring day,

447235852_HZepZ-XL.jpg

under the stars with compainionship of the moon,
    446051004_E2KFA-XL.jpg

or, a fresh crisp winters morn.
    444573337_E5Zzq-XL-1.jpg

"Nature is Home"
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 2, 2009
    "Nature is Home"

Thanks Aaron for stepping up with the first entry, and a strong one at that. thumb.gif Somehow I knew you wouldn't be confined to interior spaces!

The poetic titles and images seem to go together to form a whole. Shall I consider this a triptych then?
    edited January 2, 2009
    I love this picture!! I'm not always crazy about this technique on photos but I think it looks really awesome here.

Stephanie

Thanks, Stephanie. I too usually avoid this kind of stylized processing, but the dull reality of the original just didn't evoke the feeling I wanted and really benefitted from the impressionistic, painterly effect.

(BTW, I wasn't really born anywhere near where the photo was taken. I never said that a "personal statement of Home" had to be true! Nothing wrong with imagining, "what if." Laughing.gif)
    edited January 2, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Thanks Aaron for stepping up with the first entry, and a strong one at that. thumb.gif Somehow I knew you wouldn't be confined to interior spaces!

The poetic titles and images seem to go together to form a whole. Shall I consider this a triptych then?

triptych, why not... oddly enough #2 & #3 are 180 degrees of each other from the photographers perspective location....thumb.gif

oh, glad to see it seems you have an openmind on the themethumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Saturday Morning
    235541374_LCy73-L-2.jpg
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 4, 2009
    Hi Jeff, thanks for your entry! How long has master dog had his human pups? (Nice of him to let them sit on his couch. :D )
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Hey Jeff, That pic hits too close to home. So you have a hard time getting your kids attention too. That darn Guitar Hero. Do you have any tips on how to get them outside where you can photograph them in the sunshine? rolleyes1.gif
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Hey Jeff, That pic hits too close to home. So you have a hard time getting your kids attention too. That darn Guitar Hero. Do you have any tips on how to get them outside where you can photograph them in the sunshine? rolleyes1.gif

Flip the master circuit breaker and tell them there's a power outage. I've actually done that before. Gets them off their duffers at least. drums.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Flip the master circuit breaker and tell them there's a power outage.

That is brilliantbowdown.gif
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Flip the master circuit breaker and tell them there's a power outage. I've actually done that before. Gets them off their duffers at least. drums.gif

My dad used to get my brother out of the shower with something similar: turn off the hot water.

Lemme tell you, you'll move fast that way.:splat
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I live in the woods...
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Flip the master circuit breaker and tell them there's a power outage.

I'm embarrassed to say I shut off the wireless router a couple nights ago to get my daughter off the internet and off to bed. :ivar

This is the view out my back yard. I love sitting out back, grilling some steaks and staring out into these woods. It's quiet and pleasant and just makes me feel really serene. Like this is my home...

449683001_DxxHK-L.jpg

OK, here we are a bit farther back. You can just barely see the rock in the middle of the frame a bit below center. Trying out DxO to process raw images. So far I like it.

453037320_DNyXU-L.jpg
    geoff
    edited January 5, 2009
    This is the view out my back yard. I love sitting out back, grilling some steaks and staring out into these woods. It's quiet and pleasant and just makes me feel really serene. Like this is my home...

Hi Geoff, thanks for your entry. I can imagine how nice it is to be able to enjoy such a view, and the snow outside must make "home" feel even more cozy. I wonder if you have a shot that includes some sign of your living there, like that grill you mentioned, or the place you sit to enjoy your surroundings? Not a requirement of course, just curious. :D
    edited January 5, 2009
    It's nice to see some activity here after a comparatively quiet weekend! clap.gif I was starting to worry that the theme I picked for the challenge was a dud. ne_nau.gif

Don't forget, I welcome thoughts, criticism, questions on the theme as well as your entries! Entering your photos is the easy part - judging is not!! I'm thrilled to see what everyone comes up with but dreading having to pick just one from this talented group. So go ahead, make my day and post a new shot or select a couple from your library. Make my job as hard as you can - I'll be handing over the baton to one of you all soon enough. lol3.gif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I think this is a great theme! Speaking for myself, with everyone home over Holiday break, I had very little time to do much here.
    That being said, I have finally found some time to look through my pics and have a couple that I will throw in...hope you like!

1. Winding Down - After playing all day, it's nice to relax and take in what nature offers.
    450007148_rJyzN-XL.jpg

2. "Sweet Home Chicago" - I added this, well, unless you haven't seen the movie, it kind of speaks for itself!
    450008350_Q5YuQ-L.jpg

3. Frequent Visitor - I spend lots of time in the summers enjoying the birds that frequent our property.
    453033368_Cfzxh-XL.jpg
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Here are a couple of mine that say "Home" to me:

448764425_vVbh5-L.jpg

433270905_5etMS-XL.jpg
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 6, 2009
    1. My new pond...
    382576657_qXtmm-L.jpg

2.My new deck...
    450253345_eZgM5-L-1.jpg

3. view from my Deck...
    382446335_B23Ww-L.jpg
    edited January 6, 2009
    Thanks guys for your entries! Glad to see folks coming back from the holidays and sharing again. :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Cuttalossa Farm (I only wish this was my home)

427548665_PiSt2-L.jpg
  • rajdeeprajdeep Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Still looking for a good signature...
    edited January 8, 2009
    Home Business
    1036001_877135153_m.jpg?ver=0
    edited January 8, 2009
    Warmth of Home
    1036000_876610864_m.jpg?ver=0
    edited January 8, 2009
    Home by the road to Leh
    1035999_891815242_m.jpg?ver=0
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Cozy

426443768_WJ6zk-L.jpg
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    451224425_f6Wtn-L.jpg

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Here's a few shots to get things rolling. Of course, they are not eligible for the challenge, but comments are welcome.

"Survivors," or, "house in ruins, home intact"

"Home Alone," or, "conversations with myself"

Benjer - great pictures. I love that first one...it took me a couple times looking at it to notice their living room furniture all set up.

Question: On your "home alone" shot, (also a great shot) how did you go about superimposing the different shots? I've managed to do a similar effect with panorama software, but it wouldn't work in a situation like yours.
    edited January 9, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Cuttalossa Farm (I only wish this was my home)

427548665_PiSt2-S.jpg

since you called if first i get second dibbs, great capture.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 9, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    1. Winding Down
    450007148_rJyzN-M.jpg

i can really feel this one, i wish i had a swing so nice as this...not to mention the view/mood/warmth
    Aaron Nelson
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    i can really feel this one, i wish i had a swing so nice as this...not to mention the view/mood/warmth

Thanks Aaron, we are pretty lucky for living in Illinois, which in general is pretty darn flat, we live in an area that is hilly and wooded and very peaceful! I'm sure you're not hurting for beautiful views in Utah
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain