Options

PCMCIA Compact Flash Readers

Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited May 6, 2005 in Accessories
Ive currently got SanDisk Ultra II compact flash cards and a "normal" SanDisk PCMCIA compact flash reader. I see on the sandisk web site there is a Ultra card reader avalible: here.

Has anyone used the Ultra version? The reason I ask is the download speed for my current setup seems about as fast as the USB cable which is pretty slow. If this Ultra adapter is faster than standard PCMCIA adapter Id be into it!

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    I've never used a PCMCIA CF reader myself, but I know that a while back there was one made by Delkin that got really good reviews from people.
  • Options
    MakiMaki Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    FastScan wrote:
    Ive currently got SanDisk Ultra II compact flash cards and a "normal" SanDisk PCMCIA compact flash reader. I see on the sandisk web site there is a Ultra card reader avalible: here.

Has anyone used the Ultra version? The reason I ask is the download speed for my current setup seems about as fast as the USB cable which is pretty slow. If this Ultra adapter is faster than standard PCMCIA adapter Id be into it!

thanks!
    I don't have the ultra version, but even if I did, I probably would dislike it. For one, the regular version goes at about 1/2 speed of USB2. That's about 12m per gig (RAW), instead of about 5-6m per gig. Also, not sure if this occurs with other computers, but on mine, the card adapter draws 100% CPU power for the ENTIRE DURATION of the download. That's why I only use it (I have it equipped always) in a pinch. 90% of my downloads are either via multi-card reader via USB 2.0 which uses little to no CPU, or through my PSD, which also downloads at 6m or less.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    I have the Delkin 32bit cardbus PC card. It used to take about 45 minutes to empty a 2GB CF card, now it takes about 9 minutes. Worth it!
  • Options
    Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Ive read about the Delkin. Seems like a good way to go. Like was said, the normal PCMCIA adapter is junk. It slows my computer down also and takes forever to dump a gig.

Off to find a Delkin... :):