Options

Looking For A CF Card Reader, Which One To Buy?

KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited January 9, 2009 in Accessories
Well, the title says it all. I misplaced the computer link cable for my D200 and I figured instead of replacing the cable, I'd just invest in a reader/writer. A quick search of eBay and google revealed to me that there are way too many options out there. I was looking at a SanDisk ExtremeIII reader as I think Extreme IV is overkill being I don't have any Extreme IV cards.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!:thumb

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I think if you really need the speed, then a Firewire model (assuming you have firewire) is worth the money. After that, I have not found any difference in the 3 USB models I have...any will do. I paid I think less than $20 for my 73,000-in-1 model (ok actually it is a Belkin 49-in-1, but there are only four slots so not sure how they get 49)
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I have a couple of SanDisk CF readers (USB) - they say "ImageMate CF Reader" on the back. Like cmason, they were less than $20, and work fine.
  • Options
    KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Thanks guys! Say, Moose, will the wx ever improve long enough to shoot to JFK on a Sunday? This sucks!!:cry
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    A while back Best Buy had their CF readers on clearance closeout. I think the USB model was $6 and the FW was $20 (at least at my local Best Buy).
  • Options
    LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Adorama currently has a 300x/45mb Lexar dual slot SD/CF USB reader for $39 (I think) with a $20 rebate availible. Final cost is $19.95 wings.gif

Pluse's - USB is more common, will read your current Extreme III cards AND any faster ones you may pick up in the future.

Minus's - NONE eek7.gif

Heres the link, rebate info on page. http://www.adorama.com/ILXCRCFPUD.html?searchinfo=lexar%20udma&item_no=6
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”