Options

How to synch GPS tagger with camera?

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited January 10, 2009 in Technique
Hi everyone,

I bought an AMOD AGL3080 GPS Tagger / Tracker over Xmas time and one thing I've not worked out is how to I synchronize the time of my camera with that of the GPS as this one has no display.

Thanks for all advice or suggestions

cheers, Jase

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 10, 2009
    The GPS will have the correct time, probably in UMT.

Does the manual with the tagger say how the time is set up in the tagger? I would hate to have to have my cameras set up with Universal Time but that is just me.

It will be easier when this is all built into the cameras won't it?!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

I can't understand why other Camera conpanies haven't jumped on this......RICOH did it a very long time ago......their GPS P/S was expensive but that was over 5 yrs ago.....Nikon Especially should have already incorporated it instead of a plug in and a cable....that is ok but..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    The GPS will have the correct time, probably in UMT.

It does I think I've found out
    pathfinder wrote:
    I would hate to have to have my cameras set up with Universal Time but that is just me.

See the thing is in most software you can simply say what time zone you're in and it should take that into account - but the free software which until now seemed to work ok....

note: by "until now" I mean the very limited amount I've played with it mwink.gif
    pathfinder wrote:

Abso-bl**dy-lutely!

Actually what I did in the end is to use my Garmin car GPS and watched the time and I had my DSLR in the other hand and as soon as it ticked over to the next minute I hit OK on the back of the DSLR - which means I should only be 1 or 2 seconds out of the correct GPS calculated time.

This would be OK as I've set the GPS Tracker to take points every 5 seconds instead of every 1 second.

I'm thinking my method is ok but perhaps it's the software letting me down.

Art - I agree - it should be in the camera because I don't want to lose the hotshoe - it should be GPS capable when I'm using my SB-800 too otherwise it's useless.

Cheers, Jase