Options

Cemitero Monumentale Milano

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited January 11, 2009 in Journeys
Cemitero Monumentale

449424529_wT4Q6-L.jpg

During a trip to Northern Italy for New Year's I finally fulfilled a long held ambition to visit Milan's Cemiter Monumentale (monumental Cemetery). I'll have to go back, because it was -3 and I simply didn't have the heart to explore the whole thing. Additionally, the sky was washed out white and the light was bad. Still, it's a cool place.

449349514_dFUed-M.jpg

Lot's of cemeteries have "monumental" gravestones or ornamentations. What makes the Monumentale different is its scale and its originality. In many cemeteries, if you wander around you find the same figures represented frequently- the vast majority of the sculptures, which are in stone, marble, and bronze, at the monumentale are unique objects.

449345183_RfKap-M.jpg

This is a cemetery that holds Milan's industrial bourgeoisie. Many of the families who commisioned these monuments were extremely wealthy, some of the names, such as Campari, even a non-Milanese can recognize. Often the monument indicates how the family attained that wealth, such as that above of a glassmaker.

449351556_6kMvi-L.jpg
The Human figure is holding a plane propeller, so I imagine the deceased was involved with aviation.

449347916_ZrTkN-L.jpg
The Campari's reproduction of the Last Supper

What really surprises me is the fact that many of these sculptures are, far from being the trite happy angels kitsch one might expect to see in such a place, rather serious works of art.

449360876_UF8uy-M.jpg

Often they are serious meditations on death, decay, and the transience of life. Such as the one below, where a young woman attempts to escape the grave, and death with his scythe who seems to be dragging her back. Notice the vegetation, the earth itself, reaching out to entagle her in her mortality.

449428456_9HQyr-M.jpg

My travelling companion didn't care for this at all. She thought too many of the monuments focused on death, and pain, and were expressions of the unhappiness of the bereaved or the discomfort of the recently departed. I don't agree- to me they seem to call upon the viewer to reflect that, hale and full of life as they are, the fate of all men is the same- and inescapable.

Also interesting was the frank sensuality conveyed in many of the statues. I suppose the idea is that death is the necessary counterpart of life and fecundity.

449402945_nRrpV-M.jpg

449403736_unbDX-M.jpg

449357699_F5Gnn-M.jpg

449416446_Qqsu6-M.jpg

449404310_8eadK-L.jpg

449427649_qBxi9-L.jpg
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Most excellent - thanks for sharing these photos and your interpretation of the art work - I hope you return and can show us more.

ann

(and who whinges at -3C???)
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Wow! Quite the destination. Great set.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Woop, great stuff.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 5, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

The pictures are fascinating - The artwork is quite impressive.

Your discussion reminds me of some phrases found on a tombstone by William Least-Heat Moon in his book "Blue Highways"

"Stranger pause, as you pass by,

As you are now, so once was I.

As I am now, so you shall be.

Prepare for death, and follow me!"
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Man I love graveyards and this one looks particularly interesting!!! Nice pics - you've picqued (sp?) my interest!

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I was thinking about putting one of these in the Dgrin challenge. I would appreciate any thoughts about which one is best, and how it might be improved.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Just have to say...... quite wonderful. I did a quick read on this place. A cemetery just for the wealthy/social elite. I'd say it's more of an 'Art Musuem' than a cemetery.

Can't help ya' with a favorite or a pick for the contest. I sux at that.

Thanks for sharing your journey.
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange