Options

My try at a self portrait

lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited January 12, 2009 in People
Oh boy....I knew this self portrait thing was hard!! I need a photo of myself so I gave it some tries. I hate pictures of me :( And all of the getting up, moving lights around, adjusting the camera, sitting back down, getting back up...etc. etc. I was starting to get dizzy!! How do you people do this self portrait thing!?!?

I did some with and without the glasses, but the ones without the glasses looked very odd to me so I think I'll just delete all of those!! LOL I guess I've seen myself in glasses for way too long now.

Straight out of the camera they looked a bit more orange than I was expecting. When I changed the white balance while processing them to auto, it was a bit too blue. So I ended up somewhere in the middle.

I took tons of shots and only have a few that I'm not tooooo scared to post.

Feedback/advice/tips, etc etc. greatly appreciated.

452379914_hQwoC-L.jpg

452380986_CPhjD-L.jpg

452381748_jJyXB-L.jpg

452382476_2cq7n-L.jpg

Thanks!!

-- Lisa P.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Great job!! clap.gif

I particularly like #'s 3 &4 - 3 is possibly (to my novice eye) slightly better use of the lighting, but I like the pose and greater naturalness of #4. 1&2 are ok, but to me they're flatter, and I prefer the clothing choices in the other shots. YMMV, of course - just my subjective opinion.

I'm working on some more SPs of my own right now and can only echo the challenges. The GOOD part, of course, is that with digital you can just keep tweaking and shooting until you get something you like (and let's face it - if you're shooting yourself you can't complain about lack of cooperation!) but it's not so easy...

(and add yourself to the list of Dgrin Utterly Adorable and Beautiful Talented Girl Photographers - is this place a magnet for them or something?! :D)
  • Options
    ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif That fourth shot is the best of four great shots. A lot of my people shots are SP since I'm afraid that my fiancee might be serious about the places that she threatens to put my camera and you have my sympathies. I spent three hours yesterday to get the one that I wanted. I think that it was worth it, and it definitely makes you get the hang of where to put the lighting pretty quick. Great job!
  • Options
    ceemitchceemitch Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    I Like #4
    Very well done. I really like #4. The lighting and the pose both compliment you nicely. :ivar
    I shoot with: Canon Digital Rebel XTi | 18-55mm | 50mm 1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8
    I process with: Adobe Lightroom 2.0 | Adobe Elements 5
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Great job!! clap.gif

I particularly like #'s 3 &4 - 3 is possibly (to my novice eye) slightly better use of the lighting, but I like the pose and greater naturalness of #4. 1&2 are ok, but to me they're flatter, and I prefer the clothing choices in the other shots. YMMV, of course - just my subjective opinion.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I was kind of preferring 3 and 4 as well. I always try to wear something other than black, but always end up in black!! (my 5yr old just told me he likes #2 best because he likes my shirt in that one. haha)

divamum wrote:
    (and let's face it - if you're shooting yourself you can't complain about lack of cooperation!)

I dunno.....I was starting to not cooperate very much near the end of it all. haha :)
    divamum wrote:
    (and add yourself to the list of Dgrin Utterly Adorable and Beautiful Talented Girl Photographers - is this place a magnet for them or something?! :D)

ROFL!! Thanks. At least I fit the 'Girl Photographer' criteria of that list. haha

Thanks again for the feedback. Appreciate it!! :D

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif That fourth shot is the best of four great shots. A lot of my people shots are SP since I'm afraid that my fiancee might be serious about the places that she threatens to put my camera and you have my sympathies. I spent three hours yesterday to get the one that I wanted. I think that it was worth it, and it definitely makes you get the hang of where to put the lighting pretty quick. Great job!

Thanks Zarathustra. :) The 4th one was the second last shot I took (the 3rd was the third last shot I took). I find posing myself to be most awkward so I tried to put a mirror in front of me so I could see what was going on. I couldn't get great placement of the mirror but I think it did help a bit so I could see where lights were hitting me, etc.

I think I'd rather stick to making someone else move themselves around in front of the camera other than myself. ;)

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    ceemitch wrote:
    Very well done. I really like #4. The lighting and the pose both compliment you nicely. :ivar

Thanks very much ceemitch. I'll have to decide if it's good enough to use or if I head back down to the basement studio to try some more.

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    lisap wrote:
    Thanks Zarathustra. :) The 4th one was the second last shot I took (the 3rd was the third last shot I took). I find posing myself to be most awkward so I tried to put a mirror in front of me so I could see what was going on. I couldn't get great placement of the mirror but I think it did help a bit so I could see where lights were hitting me, etc.

-- Lisa P.

Geesh! What a great idea about the mirror! You are smart!
    I like the black shirt since it is the only one that doesn't have a busy pattern- And it keeps the attention on you and your lovely eyes. Also I like the cut of it better- the neckline is just right- low enough to be appealing and high enough to cover. My favorite is #3 because your expression is just right- it looks the most real to me. Great job!
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Geesh! What a great idea about the mirror! You are smart!
    I like the black shirt since it is the only one that doesn't have a busy pattern- And it keeps the attention on you and your lovely eyes. Also I like the cut of it better- the neckline is just right- low enough to be appealing and high enough to cover. My favorite is #3 because your expression is just right- it looks the most real to me. Great job!

Thanks Heather. I see what you mean about the neckline and the patterns. I had used another shirt as well that I tried but didn't post any with that one on. Another patterened one (black/red/white). I usually wear a little camisole under when I wear it to the office due to the low neckline, but I didn't put it on when I took the pictures. Boy! Sure glad I wear the camisole under it to the office! It's way lower cut than I remembered! HAHA It looks so different when you see a picture of yourself vs. looking in the mirror.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should try some of my other solid coloured tops whenever I get up the energy to try this again.

Thanks again for the feedback. :D

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I like #3 the best.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    #4 is my favorite. There are just two things I think could be done to improve this (1) the position of yuor eyeglasses frame on your right eye ... If you could contrive to move it just touch higher to get it out of your eye - I think that would have a very significant impact, and (2) the light looks a bit flat - you seem to have good placement of your lights (per catchlights in your eyes) but they are providing virtually the same amount of light on your face - drop the power on one to provide just the hint of a shadow to give some depth to your face - research lighting ratios.

but #4 - love the hand placement, the sunny smile, and the fact that you didn't squish your face by resting in the palm of your hand.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    #4 is my favorite. There are just two things I think could be done to improve this (1) the position of yuor eyeglasses frame on your right eye ... If you could contrive to move it just touch higher to get it out of your eye - I think that would have a very significant impact, and (2) the light looks a bit flat - you seem to have good placement of your lights (per catchlights in your eyes) but they are providing virtually the same amount of light on your face - drop the power on one to provide just the hint of a shadow to give some depth to your face - research lighting ratios.

but #4 - love the hand placement, the sunny smile, and the fact that you didn't squish your face by resting in the palm of your hand.

Thanks so much for your feedback, Scott. You know, I looked back at every shot I took and those glasses are down on the right in EVERY one. ARGHHHH. *sigh* Appreciate the suggestions regarding the lights. Shadows scare me! I'm always so worried I have too many or not enough. I'm always worrying that they won't be right.

If I can sneak away to the basement again today, I think I might have to retry this. Seeing everyone else try all of the different things with their self portraits is very motivating!! :) I think if it weren't for you guys on DGRIN here, I'd probably have given up by now.

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Lovely! I like 3 &4 the best too, but you did a great job!
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    lisap wrote:
    Thanks so much for your feedback, Scott. You know, I looked back at every shot I took and those glasses are down on the right in EVERY one. ARGHHHH. *sigh* Appreciate the suggestions regarding the lights. Shadows scare me! I'm always so worried I have too many or not enough. I'm always worrying that they won't be right.

-- Lisa P.
    It's not a matter of what is right or wrong, but what appeals to you most. I stated my opinion and that's worth a whole lot less than what you paid for it!:D But a little shadow will add depth and interest to the photo and gives the viewer a better idea of what the subject looks like. This is one reason most photos of people look better with off-camera lighting. That and we are used to seeing shadows on things because the sun is almost never directly behind our head as we look at something.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    It's not a matter of what is right or wrong, but what appeals to you most. I stated my opinion and that's worth a whole lot less than what you paid for it!:D But a little shadow will add depth and interest to the photo and gives the viewer a better idea of what the subject looks like. This is one reason most photos of people look better with off-camera lighting. That and we are used to seeing shadows on things because the sun is almost never directly behind our head as we look at something.

Yes, true about the right or wrong thing. But I guess I'm still uncomfortable with knowing what appeals to me most (if that makes sense at all...haha). That's why I come here so that I can get some good feedback from people with more experience like yourself. :)

I did do a few more shots today that I'm just editing so I'll post them in this thread in a bit to see if there's any difference. That whole right eye thing was surprisingly quite challenging and very frustrating!!

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Another try today
    OK, so no drastic changes like divamum for today.

I tried some different colour solid tops and tried to work on not covering my right eye with my glasses. That was way more difficult than I ever expected! I also tried adjusting the lighting but I'm not so sure I was very successful with that.

Oh...and yesterday I had just gotten home from a haircut so today the hair is a little more 'natural'. ;)

453135987_pstfc-L.jpg

#6 - Up to this point I had been using my 18-70mm lens and then I changed it to my 70-300mm lens. I don't have much distance to work with in my basement studio so it was a bit of a challenge. Also, I had to switch from using a wired remote to using the self timer. I focused on a bag, shot and then ran! I don't think my focus is as good on 6-8 :(

Oh....and when I changed to the white shirt.....YIKES!! Talk about blowing out highlights. I had to readjust everything. The light was reflecting off of the shirt like crazy!! Laughing.gif

453136748_v9TCF-L-2.jpg

#7 - OK...so I thought I'd better at least try getting some more of my body in the shots to add at least a tiny bit of variety. I was getting frustrated with the lights and decided to just shut the one to camera left off completely and just have the two on camera right on. Is it too dark?? (yes, I cut off my finger tips:cry . I did get another with them though..after a few mishaps of then cutting off part of my head!)

453137778_HSdhu-L-1.jpg

#8 - This is with the light back on again.

453140116_ywZPE-L-1.jpg

I still don't think I have the 'right' shadowing. *sigh* But I'm hoping to get time again next weekend to try again. :)

C&C please!!!!

Thanks for looking.

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    lisap wrote:
    I still don't think I have the 'right' shadowing. *sigh* But I'm hoping to get time again next weekend to try again. :)

C&C please!!!!

Thanks for looking.

-- Lisa P.
    I don't know what you have for lighting equipment but here are two different way you can achieve a "classic" 1:2 lighting ratio and, at the same time, get the "classic" loop lighting shadows for depth:

Flash #1 to camera right, 45 degrees of the subject-camera line and elevated a bit above your face. Flash #2 just to the side of the camera, but producing (at your face) 1/2 the power of #1. If you don't have a flash meter, one way to get this ratio is to make sure both flashes (if they are the same model) the same distance from the model, with the one near the camera set at 1/2 the power output of the first.

.... or ....

With one flash positioned the same as #1 above. Then, place a reflector (white foamcore board works well) on the other side of your face, just about as close to you as you can get it.

As for C&C - I really like the relaxed expression of #6.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Thanks Scott for checking back in. :)

I have a couple of Bowen strobes. Not real powerful ones but I think they seem to light up my small space well enough. I find I have more troubles using them than my SB600 and SB800 which I use when I'm more mobile because they are smaller and I don't need to plug them in. I guess that's another reason I want to practice more with them, so that I'm more comfortable using them.

The one to camera right I had at the 45 degrees, but the one to camera left (which was the one set at the lower power) was also at about the same angle. I'll move it closer to the camera next time. They were both pointing down towards me. I also had a simple clamp light to camera right shining down on my head to try and get some light on my hair on that side.

After waking up this morning I realized also that I didn't have them reflecting the light the same way. The one to camera right was shooting into the umbrella and reflecting back onto me. The one to camera left I had shooting through the umbrella. I think what I was trying to do was soften the light a bit by doing that. ??

Reading what everyone else is doing and all of the advice is putting all kinds of ideas of things to try in my head. I hate that probably won't be able to try this again until the weekend.

My 5 yr old came around while I was looking at all of the shots I took and he said "that's a lot of pictures of you Mommy!". I told him yeah and that it was really hard to take a picture of myself. He then said "I can use my camera and I'll take a picture of you any time you want!". And then he took a few shots of me sitting at the computer for me. Laughing.gif Too cute. I told him that when he gets a bit bigger maybe he can be my assistant. He thought that was a good idea (for now anyways... I'm sure that will change as he gets older).

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    I think 3 & 4 are the best in the group, much more natural and relaxed! Oh, and nice choice with the solid shirt (less distracting). I like the idea of using the mirror, I think I'll try that! I have been experimenting with SP's just recently, but not good enough to post yet, I'm struggling with the focus end of it! Anyway great set!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    lisap wrote:
    Thanks Scott for checking back in. :)

I have a couple of Bowen strobes. Not real powerful ones but I think they seem to light up my small space well enough. I find I have more troubles using them than my SB600 and SB800 which I use when I'm more mobile because they are smaller and I don't need to plug them in. I guess that's another reason I want to practice more with them, so that I'm more comfortable using them.
    It's good to work with the "hard stuff" - it'll make working the easy stuff so much easier.
    lisap wrote:
    The one to camera right I had at the 45 degrees, but the one to camera left (which was the one set at the lower power) was also at about the same angle. I'll move it closer to the camera next time. They were both pointing down towards me. I also had a simple clamp light to camera right shining down on my head to try and get some light on my hair on that side.

After waking up this morning I realized also that I didn't have them reflecting the light the same way. The one to camera right was shooting into the umbrella and reflecting back onto me. The one to camera left I had shooting through the umbrella. I think what I was trying to do was soften the light a bit by doing that. ??
    With a two-light setup, one will be used to create the shadows that most are looking for in a portrait and the other to soften those shadows. Reflecting the same way - not an issue. The lights are doing two different jobs so it would be reasonable that the light would be modified differently. The one to camera right should be "looking down on you" to create the nice loop lighting.

The other (shooting through the umbrella will greatly soften the light as some will bouce off the wall behind the strobe) should be down next to and on a level with the camera. This will fill the shadows just a bit. The amount the shadows are filled is controlled by the power of the fill light relative to the key light (the light creating the shadows).

Do you, by any chance, have a flash meter or a flash/incident light meter? Having one will greatly simplify setting the power of your strobes. It doesn't have to be an expensive one either. I'm partial to the Sekonic L-358 ($260), but you can get a fine one for less than 1/2 that price.
    lisap wrote:
    Reading what everyone else is doing and all of the advice is putting all kinds of ideas of things to try in my head. I hate that probably won't be able to try this again until the weekend.

My 5 yr old came around while I was looking at all of the shots I took and he said "that's a lot of pictures of you Mommy!". I told him yeah and that it was really hard to take a picture of myself. He then said "I can use my camera and I'll take a picture of you any time you want!". And then he took a few shots of me sitting at the computer for me. Laughing.gif Too cute. I told him that when he gets a bit bigger maybe he can be my assistant. He thought that was a good idea (for now anyways... I'm sure that will change as he gets older).

-- Lisa P.
    Strike while the iron's hot. Put the camera on a tripod and let him trip the shutter. Then he can see the photo he created! What could be more exciting, except to play in the sand and the mud etc.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    It's good to work with the "hard stuff" - it'll make working the easy stuff so much easier.With a two-light setup, one will be used to create the shadows that most are looking for in a portrait and the other to soften those shadows. Reflecting the same way - not an issue. The lights are doing two different jobs so it would be reasonable that the light would be modified differently. The one to camera right should be "looking down on you" to create the nice loop lighting.

The other (shooting through the umbrella will greatly soften the light as some will bouce off the wall behind the strobe) should be down next to and on a level with the camera. This will fill the shadows just a bit. The amount the shadows are filled is controlled by the power of the fill light relative to the key light (the light creating the shadows).

Do you, by any chance, have a flash meter or a flash/incident light meter? Having one will greatly simplify setting the power of your strobes. It doesn't have to be an expensive one either. I'm partial to the Sekonic L-358 ($260), but you can get a fine one for less than 1/2 that price.

Strike while the iron's hot. Put the camera on a tripod and let him trip the shutter. Then he can see the photo he created! What could be more exciting, except to play in the sand and the mud etc.

Loving this exchange, and the new pictures too!! Of the new ones I like #6 the best, I think. But I see you and I share a tendency to want diagonals in our images - for me it is SO HARD not to find a way to make the main subject cross the diagonal in some way - I struggle to like an image when it's "straight" (even if it's not centered)!!

Adorable! Mine (10 years old) oscillates between extreme interest and being SO sick of me using her to practice on that she runs away when she sees the camera! But be careful what you suggest: I told her mine if I ever start shooting 3rd parties (on the cards, in fact - performer friends are starting to want to see what I come up with of them by way of headshot possibilities) that maybe she can be an assistant and hold reflectors for me at which point she started negotiating her fee.... rolleyes1.gif :giggle.

Good job Lisa!
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Loving this exchange, and the new pictures too!! Of the new ones I like #6 the best, I think. But I see you and I share a tendency to want diagonals in our images - for me it is SO HARD not to find a way to make the main subject cross the diagonal in some way - I struggle to like an image when it's "straight" (even if it's not centered)!!
    There might be a reason why you prefer the "diagonals" ... maybe because diagonals are a primary element of strong compositions ... check out this page as only one source of information on composition. If you google "photograph composition diagonal", you get a lot of other sources.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    There might be a reason why you prefer the "diagonals" ... maybe because diagonals are a primary element of strong compositions ... check out this page as only one source of information on composition. If you google "photograph composition diagonal", you get a lot of other sources.

Oh, I know - it was something drummed into me onstage at conservatory (the resident director lurrrved his diagonals, both in stage pictures and moves), and once I "saw" what it did to lift things from ordinary to interesting, I never went back. I automatically aim for the angle onstage, and just about every photograph taken of myself that I've liked had a strong diagonal. And although I don't consciously look for a diagonal while shooting, now I think about it, I notice that almost all the portraits I've taken (of anybody) had the same feature in some way. This most recent batch of mine are the exception that proves the rule, I think, but even in those the head angle and title create a subtle move from lleft to upper right.

And, in fact, I notice that I usually tend to go bottom left to top right instictively - I wonder if that's a right-handed vs left-handed thing, or just the way my eye sees it? ::muses:: Must go google and see what others say on this - thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    It's good to work with the "hard stuff" - it'll make working the easy stuff so much easier.With a two-light setup, one will be used to create the shadows that most are looking for in a portrait and the other to soften those shadows. Reflecting the same way - not an issue. The lights are doing two different jobs so it would be reasonable that the light would be modified differently. The one to camera right should be "looking down on you" to create the nice loop lighting.

Thanks so much for the advice, Scott. I was able to read this earlier today, but didn't get a chance to respond. And unfortunately, my 'day job' has absolutely nothing to do with photography so all I could do was daydream about my next chance to try this again. I've read different advice from you and others before that have been given to people, but it really puts it all into context when you can relate it directly to what you've just done. Thanks to you and everyone else for that. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have a flash meter or anything. :( I think I'm definitely going to have to add to my list of things I need to acquire.

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Thanks adspace, Kwarta & ic4u for taking the time to comment :) It's appreciated!

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Thanks :) It's funny, when I was looking at all of the pictures I kept thinking...man.....what's with all of the leaning. At first I thought maybe because I was trying hard to make sure my hair was under my 'hair' light. Laughing.gif Every single picture I took on the weekend I'm doing the slanted lean.

I'm really looking forward to trying this again once the weekend rolls around again. Unfortunately, time during the week is much too short :cry .

This is a REALLY good exercise to go through and I'm also enjoying being able to go through it with everyone else here who is doing self portraits.

Thanks guys!! :D

-- Lisa P.