Options

photo sizes

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited May 7, 2005 in Technique
what is a good way to take a 11mb pic and lower it to a 8mb pic with out loosing the quality and with out cropping it?
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    what is a good way to take a 11mb pic and lower it to a 8mb pic with out loosing the quality and with out cropping it?
    You can save it as a PNG which is a lossless compression scheme. A PSD format might get you there too.

Now if you are talking about taking an 11MP (megapixel) image and resizing it down to an 8MP image, then just resampling (resizing) it down and hitting it with a good unsharp mask will do the trick.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    Downsizing
    In order to reduce the image size, you're going to be throwing away some information, which if you're not cropping means reduction in quality. However, resampling from 11 megabytes to 8 will not appreciably reduce the image quality.

However, your question is a little strange. Why downsize at all? What makes 8MB the "magic" number? What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    why to make them smaller
    I see I had a typo... mp = mb... the reason is because smug mug has a cap of 8mb per pic as the pics are 11mb or 9.5mb and even 1 at 8.2mb... so ot post them i need them at a 8mb or less in size :(ne_nau.gifdunno
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    When you did save as *.jpg, did you use a setting of 12? If so, just reduce that to 11 or 10 and you will be golden.

Dave
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2004
    JPEG compression vs. image resolution
    Ahh, it all makes sense now. Yes, you can turn up the JPEG compression (i.e. turn down the quality factor) a bit to get a ~30% file size reduction, or you can resample the image to a lower resolution, or some of both. If you're at the very top of the range of JPEG compression (e.g. 99 out of 100), you can probably back it off to ~95 with no noticeable loss of quality. Beyond that, I would consider resampling the image to a smaller resolution, which will reduce fine details but won't introduce ugly artifacts.

A 10-megapixel (for example) camera doesn't really produce 10 "real" megapixels of information anyway, because 2/3 of the information at each pixel is actually interpolated. (That is, unless we're talking about a Foveon X3 sensor, but that's a different story.) So images from these digital cameras can be resampled to a somewhat smaller resolution without losing much information.

So in summary, I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for reducing image file size while minimizing quality loss, but a good general guideline is to bump up the JPEG compression only modestly, and then resample to a smaller resolution if you still need a smaller file.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    iamagooiamagoo Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Newbie Here
    I've just signed up on a trial basis and this is exactly the problem I'm facing. I use a Canon 20D and shoot large JPEGS but when I load them on my computer I always convert them to TIFFs which are 23MB. After editing and then reconverting them to JPEGs they are usually well under 8MB, but I've just started sharpening in LAB mode and then converting them to JPEGs which seems to keep the file size quite large. Any suggestions? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    iamagoo wrote:
    I've just signed up on a trial basis and this is exactly the problem I'm facing. I use a Canon 20D and shoot large JPEGS but when I load them on my computer I always convert them to TIFFs which are 23MB. After editing and then reconverting them to JPEGs they are usually well under 8MB, but I've just started sharpening in LAB mode and then converting them to JPEGs which seems to keep the file size quite large. Any suggestions? ne_nau.gif

stay tuned..... you should be hearing something soon in this regard that could address this very issue :D
  • Options
    iamagooiamagoo Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    Anything been done in this regard yet?