Options

Impact Filter

Luke J. PhotographyLuke J. Photography Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited January 14, 2009 in Accessories
Does anyone make on of these. A filter that protects from flying projectiles,ETC.

Cause I shoot paintball photography and getting shot it the lens isn't something I would enjoy.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    Make sure YOUR EYEBALLS are protected first; paintball pellets have replaced BB guns for the "most blinded eyes" and the "most eyes in a bottle on the shelf" awards.

A glass UV filter will help protect your lens, but there is no guarantee that a paintball won't break your filter and scatter glass fragments across your lens surface either.

The military uses Lexan for its face shields for its personnel, but I do not know of a source for camera filters made of Lexan. Maybe there is a business opportunity there.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    Typically a "UV" filter is used. Since UV rays are already filtered out on most digital cameras, it just acts as a clear piece of optical grade glass that costs less than replacing a lens. Not sure how far I'd trust these to resist impacts though.

You may also want to check into various "camera armour" products for impact protection for the rest of the camera body.

If you need something you can just wipe paintballs off of without worrying about shattered glass, you might have to look at underwater housings, the glass ports of which are built to withstand forces of around 100 psi or more. This would be probably more expensive than your current camera though, and replacing a scratched port glass can't be cheap either. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,836 moderator
    edited January 13, 2009
    It is not enough to just protect the front element of the lens. That paint can cause problems if it gets into the lens controls or camera controls.

I have heard of some die-hards that used underwater cases to hold their camera/lens while they paintball. It seems a bit extreme to me and doesn't allow the use of long lenses so I don't see the point.

Here's a fair example of the coverage some apply:

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/12147/2644965770100589730S600x600Q85.jpg

Using this setup you would just use a high-quality weather sealed filter and hope that it holds up in a direct hit.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It is not enough to just protect the front element of the lens. That paint can cause problems if it gets into the lens controls or camera controls.

I have heard of some die-hards that used underwater cases to hold their camera/lens while they paintball. It seems a bit extreme to me and doesn't allow the use of long lenses so I don't see the point.

Here's a fair example of the coverage some apply:

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/12147/2644965770100589730S600x600Q85.jpg

Using this setup you would just use a high-quality weather sealed filter and hope that it holds up in a direct hit.
    All good points, and a sweet example to boot.

Maybe if one stacked a couple UV filters for redundant protection of the front element? This might be the one situation where you want more glass elements between yourself and subject, though at two (potentially busted) quality filters we're starting to enter cheap lens price ranges here.
  • Options
    troybaltroybal Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    My Stuff
    Camera: Canon 50d, Canon 1D Mark IV
    Lens: 85L, 35L, 70-200L,
    28-135mm IS, 50mm 1.4
    Flash: 580EX II, 3xB8000 AB's/FlexTT5s
  • Options
    Luke J. PhotographyLuke J. Photography Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    It's not the body i'm worried about it's the lens. And I refuse to use UV filters. I may just have to make my own impact resistent filter.

IMG_17921.jpg

Also to the first post re guarding face protection.

I've got that covered.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,836 moderator
    edited January 14, 2009
    If you have to produce your own version I should think that some factory seconds or trimmings might be useful:

http://www.pacificbulletproof.com/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    troybaltroybal Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2009
    It's not the body i'm worried about it's the lens. And I refuse to use UV filters. I may just have to make my own impact resistent filter.
    Also to the first post re guarding face protection.

I've got that covered.
    Buy a sheet of lexan and make your own.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/S5FOEBYF5VMVA4Z/
    TR.
    My Stuff
    Camera: Canon 50d, Canon 1D Mark IV
    Lens: 85L, 35L, 70-200L,
    28-135mm IS, 50mm 1.4
    Flash: 580EX II, 3xB8000 AB's/FlexTT5s